Dean Acoustic-Electric Guitar

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited May 2014 in The Clubhouse
I'm looking at buying a new acoustic guitar after 15 years. Currently, I have a Yamaha that was inexpensive when I bought it, and is just warn out; plus no pick-up for playing at church. A friend is willing to sell me his lightly used Dean Exotica Spalted Maple for under 50% of new, and I'd play it before paying up, but have no experience with Dean acoustics. Anyone owned one long term? Had an issues with quality?

I appreciate any thoughts and feedback!

http://www.deanguitars.com/exoticaspaltmaple.php

espalt.jpg
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited March 2014
    Looks nice, I have a telecaster made from the spalted maple and I really like the look of it. No experience with the Dean brand name, have you checked for any reviews on Harmony Central ?
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,600
    edited March 2014
    "Worn out"?? How so? Worn, flat or pitted frets can be repaired or replaced rather cheaply. A warped neck can be straightened very easily. And Dean Markley makes some excellent pickups.

Personally I would look at Ovation, Takamine, Taylor, Alvarez or Godin.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    edited March 2014
    I've played a dean before but it's been years and I can't testify to longevity. I agree with halo. If you like the yammie get it worked on and put a pickup in it for a $100 or so. If you are looking to upgrade I would keep looking. I love my larrivee. I also tend to really like Taylors. If you walk into a guitar center with cash 50% off list is well within range for something new.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,546
    edited March 2014
    Dean makes horrible acoustics.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2014
    Don't forget good ol' C.F. Martin guitars... above anything else mentioned except maybe Taylor, depending on the model. If you have been playing for 15-20 years, and that guitar was a cheap one to begin with, my opinion is to upgrade and buy a better guitar.
    If that was a sub-$200 acoustic and you got 15 years out of it, that is great. But, unless is just sounds so fantastic or just plays the perfect way you like, it might be time to have something with better tone and playability, especially if you are now performing...
    Fixing a cheap guitar will still give you a cheap guitar.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited March 2014
    Go sit in the acoustic room at Guitar Center. Give yourself a few hours and just keep picking guitars up and playing them. Let people go in and out and just stay in there.

And make sure to play a few Taylors.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • 11tsteve
    edited March 2014
    or head to my town and have one custom made by our local luthier...

http://longguitars.com/
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the input! I'm going to check out the Dean guitar tonight as it seems to fit my needs a few different ways:

-My 15 year-old Yamaha was $150 at the time, and is not worth restoring (strap pin broke off 10 years ago and was replaced with a drywall screw, tuner knobs are loose and need replacement, body has many scratches/gouges/nicks), nor does it sound like anything special

-I need something acoustic/electric to avoid using a mic; plus the built-in tuner would be nice

-I'll play this guitar before buying it tonight, and I've played around at the shops with different models/brands lately, and felt that many guitars in the $400 range were a good step up from my current guitar, and should meet my needs for the next 15 years

-The seller is asking $160 for this guitar including next strings/capo/case, which seems like a good deal if it sound decent
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Thanks and I agree there are a lot of nice options, but I also need a specific feature set, and don't really want to spend over $200 right now... :cry: By no means am I a great guitar player, nor do I play every day, so I thought one step up from my current guitar would fit my needs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited March 2014
    If it plays well, looks nice, sounds good to you and fits your budget then everything else doesn't matter. If it makes you happy than its worth it. I have several fine players (guitars) that most guys would diss or not even bother with. Happy strumming. Cheers.
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Well... I ended up buying the guitar! The sound is nice, not dreadnought big and full, but a nice poppy tone with all the electronics that will let me do a few things I can't go now. It's is very good condition, came with the original receipt and a bunch of accessories, so I'll be happy for the next 15 years.

IMG_1459.JPG
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited March 2014
    Sweet looking guitar!!

I'm guessing you won't be able to put it down for at least a few weeks.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • 11tsteve
    edited March 2014
    zingo wrote: »
    Well... I ended up buying the guitar! The sound is nice, not dreadnought big and full, but a nice poppy tone with all the electronics that will let me do a few things I can't go now. It's is very good condition, came with the original receipt and a bunch of accessories, so I'll be happy for the next 15 years.
    Audio gear and guitars.... what matters most is the owner's happiness. And that is a really nice looking guitar. Congrats!
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,600
    edited March 2014
    What's the deal with 15 years? lol I am 43 and been playing since I was 16. I still have the 2nd guitar I ever bought in my collection. Other than fret levels and once a refret job. It has not worn out. Been a solid player for all these years.

Anyways...glad you like the Dean.

I've had this one (Peavey Tracer Custom I) for around 22 years I guess. Shows some wear but still a fine guitar.
    DSCN0752.jpg
    DSCN0742.jpg

The light blue guitar is my 2nd one ever. All the guitars in this pics are +25 years old.

MyKramerguitars2008002.jpg
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • zingo
    edited March 2014
    Nothing specific about 15 years. :) That's just how long I've had my first guitar and seemed like a round number.
  • zingo
    edited May 2014
    A quick praise for Dean as I had lost one of the little slider caps on my EQ, and they sent me a few for free!

ewal9.jpg
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,178
    edited May 2014
    Great looking guitar, Congrads man.
    I'm a Martin Kinda guy when it comes to acoustics. I never played a Dean Acoustic, but have their Electric models which I thought where pretty cool.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • zingo
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Dan! It has a bright sound (I might try different strings in the future), but I like how much pop it has, and it's fun to listen to.

I have used it at church a few times now, and the XLR output is great for not having to run a direct-box to the snake.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2014
    That's a nice looking piece.

And with Halo above, I have my father's Martin which he bought in the '40s. Now that's OLD! It's had neck and fret work, of course, and some refinishing of the top sides, etc--done at the Martin factory as I grew up within miles of it. But I believe it cost him over $400 back then. I'm not particularly gifted on this instrument either, completely self-taught (I believe that is the problem, lol).

Enjoy!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]