Does it matter with subs that they match?

If your receiver supports 2 subs, would it matter much if the 2 subs match? Can one be a 12" and the other an 8". can one be front firing, and one down? I know the smaller one would not perform as well, but would you still be better off with the 2 mix-matched subs vs the one 12"?
TV: Panasonic TC-65PS64 65" Plasma
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4000
Blue-Ray: XBOX One
CD Player: Onkyo C-7030
Fronts: Polk Rti a5
Center: Polk Csi a6
Rears: Polk Rti a3
Sub: Polk DSW PRO660wi
Post edited by jasonb01 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited February 2014
    You'll create a mess of bass waves doing that. If your going to use 2 subs, use 2 identical ones. Or just throw down for one really good sub.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jasonb01
    jasonb01 Posts: 43
    edited February 2014
    Gotcha....I figured as much, but wasn't sure. Thanks!
    TV: Panasonic TC-65PS64 65" Plasma
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X4000
    Blue-Ray: XBOX One
    CD Player: Onkyo C-7030
    Fronts: Polk Rti a5
    Center: Polk Csi a6
    Rears: Polk Rti a3
    Sub: Polk DSW PRO660wi
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited February 2014
    Used to be that mixing subs was a no-no, but more people are doing it now with success. I'm running a Polk DSW Pro550 and 660 (10" and 12", though they are the same brand) and after spending some time with setup, they play together very nicely. Ideally, identical subs would still be the way to go, but don't discount being able to mix and match. I would maybe stick to sealed ( a general rule is they're more musical) or non-sealed (usually more HT friendly) with whatever you choose. Follow the sub forum over on AVS, there's lots of good info there.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2014
    I have 2 different subs the Boston sub is 10" and the DSW sub is 8". The DSW 400 goes a little lower than my Boston sub, but as Tornado says having the both of them on opposite sides of the room really help level the bass out. when I'm sitting in the sweet spot they sound great together.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited February 2014
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I have 2 different subs the Boston sub is 10" and the DSW sub is 8". The DSW 400 goes a little lower than my Boston sub, but as Tornado says having the both of them on opposite sides of the room really help level the bass out. when I'm sitting in the sweet spot they sound great together.

Agreed Cathy. Rooms have their own characteristics, and one side is not likely the same as the other. I have a 7' opening to my 12' x 19' room at the back left of the sweet spot, my 12" sub is on that side since it's harder to pressurize with the opening than the other side which has no opening, and where the 10" resides. Anyway, good luck and happy listening with whatever you choose...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited February 2014
    I also run two in opposite corners of my room. While both Cerwin Vega CVT's one 15" one 12" works well for me. Mine are run a little different I use the 12" as a sub/satellite for my rears and the 15" as LFE.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited February 2014
    ^Do you do that because you don't have an output for the 2nd sub?
  • cconklin1
    cconklin1 Posts: 10
    edited February 2014
    been using two different subs for years. never an issue as long as you calibrate correctly..
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited March 2014
    Used to be that mixing subs was a no-no, but more people are doing it now with success. I'm running a Polk DSW Pro550 and 660 (10" and 12", though they are the same brand) and after spending some time with setup, they play together very nicely. Ideally, identical subs would still be the way to go, but don't discount being able to mix and match. I would maybe stick to sealed ( a general rule is they're more musical) or non-sealed (usually more HT friendly) with whatever you choose. Follow the sub forum over on AVS, there's lots of good info there.
    I've been following AVS Forum for years, they don't have good info there, they have GREAT info there , much of it from the men who either own their own subwoofer companies or design subs. Awesome site to behold. Tony does make a good point, if you do have 2 of the same model of subwoofers , it does help in making them work in the mix. Many of us have gone that route. Also, when it comes to getting serious about deep bass , sometimes you find yourself selling those 2 subs and either stepping up about 2 -3 grand(or more,lol) for a high end stand alone sub. Maybe add another one later if you find you need more bass.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited March 2014
    should be fine just calibrate them so one does not bottom out before the other . I have seen setups where one sub was designed to do 20-60 hz and the other was 60-100 hertz .
    A friend 3 subs and aura shakers , he likes it because the aura take the deep load off the subs .
  • Having them identical is a heck of a lot easier. It can be done with mix and match but you probably better know what you're doing, meaning you're familiar with the science and aren't just a bass head. Mixing and matching ported vs. sealed is even harder.

Best paraphrased analogy I've heard is that its like taking your car and putting a snow tire on one wheel, mud tire on another, a drag slick on the third, and an all weather on the fourth, expecting great performance in all conditions, when in reality, you're just making it suck worse in all conditions than if you had just left it alone.