Options
    i had a big fat burrito for lunch today. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Trey - I don't need to hear it, its common sense that should dictate a more in-line response to Disney's questions. I continue to comment because you have it in your head that it is a solution, it is not. Stack away, I don't care if it turns your speaker into a CES showpiece. I won't comment on your grand theory anymore Kid.

Disney - Get some information from the local LSi owners, they will be able to offer you enough information, that all you will need to sew it up...would be a good demo. I have a basic experience with them , but was definetly impressed with their clarity and midrange reproduction. The amount of bass that is created, belies their size, its very decent. There may even be a Polkie that is nearby, and would offer a demo to you.

It is a shame that CC doesn't offer them, but just imagine a great speaker in a bad venue. They would just screw up the demo anyways.

I suggest LSi9 with a nice high current, high power amplifier for your zone 2 listening.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Stacking is a novelty act. I've stacked, and it may be neato keen for a day or two, and look coolio, but it won't sound natural or coherent and I think most people would decide to unstack.

I agree that in a 'pure music' mode, that the 800is are going to be too muddy in the lows to sound true. Find some 55i's, they're much tighter and you'll maintain your home theater balance. But then it also sounds like you just hate your receiver's preamp, so then there's that problem with every mode other than 'pure music' mode.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Loud & Clear
    Find some 55i's, they're much tighter and you'll maintain your home theater balance.

I agree!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2004
    Options
    >I agree that in a 'pure music' mode, that the 800is are going to be too muddy in the lows to sound true. Find some 55i's, they're much tighter and you'll maintain your home theater balance. But then it also sounds like you just hate your receiver's preamp, so then there's that problem with every mode other than 'pure music' mode.<

No preamp is OK, but in Pure Audio mode it will shut off LFE output. This can be fixed by rewiring X-30 to L-R pre outputs. But this right now hurts 800i's as we all know they don't like <50hz very well. So an amp is a must when wired like above.:mad:

On the other hand 2 channel improved some with the sub working. :p

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Glad to read of the improvement...

I do think your Zone 2 approach is worth exploring. I also like the suggestion to look into the SDA CRS's. I was very impressed with these "little" SDA's at TX PolkFest II.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    >I also like the suggestion to look into the SDA CRS's. I was very impressed with these "little" SDA's at TX PolkFest II<

Ok are these "old" if so I just read a review and yes that's what I looking for:D SWEET

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Options
    The SDA option is always a given in Polkland. I was also impressed with how good they sounded.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Just what is SDA ? Are these just old ? Does polk make anything like this now ?

Newbie in Polkland..:eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Stereo Dimensional Array

Great imaging, musical speaker -- gigant mother crackers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Ok, hate to ask Love my Polk and will like to support them.

When I do a search for SDA CRS speakers and find this Quote.

>Creating a room full of musician's playing in "specific" places in front of me! <

Ok this is what I feel I’m missing so does any thing sound like these made by Polk today?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Sadly Joe.......no.

There is a rumor that one day soon they will be back, but until then there are plenty of good used ones available.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Ok, I think I will look for an good used amp, to add to my system.

Yeah, you should check out E-bay for a Carver CM-1090 to start with. Hurry, before I snatch them all up. ;)

Dan
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dan t
    Yeah, you should check out E-bay for a Carver CM-1090 to start with. Hurry, before I snatch them all up. ;)

Dan

I had a 1090 for over 10 years and it matched perfectly with my 8T's. Very good integrated and may it rest in peace:(

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Ok polk doesn't make any SDA now but.....

>>Creating a room full of musician's playing in "specific" places in front of me! <

Ok this is what I feel I’m missing so does any thing sound like these made by Polk today?<<

Does polk make any speaker that acts like this "specific" places in front of me! The LSi anything?

PS was answered before just a little unclear sorry.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    dj7,

Non-SDA speakers are limited to setting their soundstage in the the space bounded by the two speakers' physical location. This is due to your ability to locate where your speakers are by the time delay involved in the sound reaching the ear on the opposte side of your head. That is, the right speaker's output reaches your right ear a split second before it reaches your left ear and vice versa. This phenomenon is called interaural crosstalk.

SDA's employed added drivers and passive electronics in their crossovers to generate soundwaves that cancel inaural crosstalk. Once done you can no longer identify the speakers' location (at least it's not as easy). The effect is that the speakers no longer "confine" the soundstage, thus "filling the room with musicians".

All speakers, be they SDA or not, image to some degree. How well they image is determined by:
    - the proper time allignment of the drivers (something Polk is rather well-known for); and
    - their proper set up in a given listening space.

Once the purchase is made, your task is to play with your 800's set-up to get the most our of them you can. PLay with their spread, their distance from side and rear walls, and their toe-in. Chose a relatively simple piece of music (less to keep track of) and listen repeatedly to it. Note changes, for better or worse after each move.

You may not be able to "fill the room", but you may be able to get more out of your rig than you now are. If you optimize, but still feel like something's lacking, then maybe seek out some SDA's.

BTW, Carver developed what he dubbed the Sonic Holography circuit. It also cancelled interaural crosstalk.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Well the SDA is something I'm looking for as far as the sound goes. But their size is something I couldn't live with. So still not sure if an amp would improve this with or without speakers different then the 800i's. Or move to another part of house with something else.

BTW will have some pixs to help where I'm at still working on posting them some how.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Now I'm not sure what you are looking for either...

SDA's came in all sizes...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Well I like my RT-800i's, also like the size of small book shelf speakers. I seen some SDA speakers large much bigger than tower or book shelf speakers. Did polk make any small SDA speakers what models do I need to find so I can buy a set.

If I do use SDA or something else, I will add a receiver or amp / amp & preamp for these speakers in another room to enjoy music.

Or if any speaker that would work with RT series I could move 800 to back add new to front / sell the 600's. Don't think any SDA would work for what I use now. So SDA speakers would be used in another room, maybe garage toooooooo big.

Like what I read of SDA CRS but just don't have the room & wife will just kill me. So it could be wife or speakers :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2004
    Options
    CRS were the smallest of the SDA's.... bookshelf size.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3075707207&category=14991
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Disney: I have the RT800's and when we set them up on Russman's amp. The 800's sounded completely different than coming off of my reciever. I'd imagine you would have a similar experience. See if you could demo some high amperage amps on your zone 2 and see if that makes a difference. 200W/channel would be my recommendation, but 100W on a real amp is realistially more than enough (Probably..)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    If funds work out, I would like to pick up an used Bryston 300w or maybe an Adcom 5802 ?? But I think I would like the Bryston better. Need to hear this amps in person first :cool:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I would choose the Bryston, it is sonically better than the Adcom IMO.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I do think Transistor's sound better in amp's than do FET's, at least that's my thinking.

I like the price of the FET over the Trans, but deep down I know what will put a smile on my face when pushing those 800i's.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer