How often do you listen really loud?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, when I got home from school today at 10am nobody was home so I decided to put on some good sounding CD's, turned on the sub and cranked up the volume. I mean really cranked it up:D. I got it up to some really insane levels just like a concert. There are times when the drums hit so hard that it feels like a driver is about to fly out of the cabinet and hit me on the face. The snare drum also possessed a lot of energy. I felt my chair and **** vibrate from every hit on the snare drums. I love it!

So I'm just wondering how often you guys like to listen LOUD?

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I do have to admit, probably too often.

Not only do I have my lovely SDA's in the ouse, but I have a Polk Mobile Monitor component system in the truck paired witha nice 10" Kicker XPL.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • JDOGG
    JDOGG Posts: 433
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I like loud levels ALOT. Especially on the Klipsches, the ear peircing highs. At high levels I don't need a sub, don't have a working one anyway, but you get the idea. I'm just hoping I don't blow these because I listen loud, alot. The highest Ive been on my reciever would be +6 on a -80 to +12 level.
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • organ
    edited February 2004
    Options
    That's awesome. I-SIG, which SDA model do you have? What are you powering them with?

JDOGG, so you find the highs on your RF ear piercing? Try to lower the treble if it's a problem. I find the Rotel pre to be ear piercing when listening really loud. But it's the perfect pre for my LSi9. For my RF, I have the NAD pre and amp hooked up and it's not harsh at all. The highest I've gone with the volume control is just a little over the 9 o clock position.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited February 2004
    Options
    "+6 on a -80 to +12 level."

Can you say distortion? I thought so!

I probably listen between 90dB and 95dB on a regular basis, but have hit 115dB at approximately 10:30 on the volume dial.....zero distortion......too effn loud to listen for long.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Rarely...this may be one reason that I can still hear very well at my age. .;) Good music on a good system doesn't have to be "ear piercing" loud to be felt.

I occasionally "crank it up" but I bet it is still no where near the levels you are referring to. However, according to the wife it is always too loud.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I work a swing shift (4 weeks of days, afternoons, and midnights). Ever since I got the Altecs I find myself listening to stuff pretty fricking loud when given the chance.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I have no problems cranking the volumes up to 102+ (not for a long time)

I listen mainly around 96-98db!

The Klipsch would be hard to block considering they are like 96db nominal.......

So you figure 115db+ would be no big deal, which it's not.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I like to have my wife scream in my ear, at the top of her lungs each day, so I can get a reference level for my stereo.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Rarely if ever. I listen at moderate levels but when it gets so loud that you can't carry on a conversation without screaming, that's too loud.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Now Troy, I know that when you're in the cave groovin' you're not talking to anybody! ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Unfortunately never anymore, since I moved back into an apartment. :( Other than my fantasy hockey pool, the move is the reason I don't come here as often as I used to. I just can't demo stuff the way I used to. On the upside, I have saved a butt load of money though.

When I was renting a house this past summer I wouldn't go ear piercing loud but definitely loud enough to feel.

All the more reasons to push to buy a house I guess....
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I don't listen loud.Moderate volume levels at best.I find no reason to crank it up anymore.When I was younger I used to play it extremely loud Now I find it to be annoying.

I like to feel the music not get trashed by it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    That's awesome. I-SIG, which SDA model do you have? What are you powering them with?
    Maurice

organ,

I have weinie Carver M1.0-t (200W/ch) pushing my 1C Studios. Thankfully, I have a Carver TFM-42 (=M4.0-t) on the way from eBay. I should pick up at least 1/2 octave on the low end with 375W/ch. :D

When I get a good sub, probably an SVS, I'll really be able to rock! :eek:

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'll have to get back my db meter to see what is loud but I generally listen to music at the volume it was meant to be listened to. Obviously this depends on the material. If it is a guy singing with a guitar, well, it is "that loud". If I am listening to Kiss "unplugged" it is that loud. If I am listening to Kiss "live" it is that loud. This is a subject many people do not want to hear but you really need to figure out how loud things are meant to be before you decide how loud to listen... (It really makes a difference when you consider the volume it would be live. Obviously some things are deafining while others are quiet. Also, it takes some real work and a real thought process to determine what the volumes should be.)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Wes,
    You have a kick **** system there. Are the passive radiators not enough that's why you're getting an SVS?

I agree with madmax about volume setting. When I'm in a really good mood and feel like listening to metal, I turn it up loud. I also find classical to sound good when played loud. Most of the time the music stays at a moderate level, but once they start building up to a climax the sound becomes so intense and powerful. A great aural experience.

Maurice
  • nico
    nico Posts: 104
    edited February 2004
    Options
    :D Every chance I get!!
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • I-SIG
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    Wes,
    You have a kick **** system there. Are the passive radiators not enough that's why you're getting an SVS?

Maurice

Maurice,

Thanks for the compliments. My little SDA rig pales compared these guys with Carver Amazings, SDA 1.2tl's, etc. OTOH, the 1C's are an extremely solid base to build on too.

The PR's do pretty good considering but I guess I have gotten a little spoiled having decent little rig in my truck. I want to feel more of the bass that I also hear from the PR's. Plus, a PR will never have that certain "growl" that a good sub or large woofer has.

I'm also looking around for a stand-alone DAC and maybe even an anti-jitter device to clean things up even more. As mentioned in another thread, ignorance can be bliss though!

Wes

• sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Rarely at the house. My next door neighbors are cop-happy. I'll be jamming and then the door-bell rings. When I don't hear the door-bell, they start banging on the windows! "Sir, we got a noise complaint....". dammmmmmmmmmit. The neighbors say I rattle their walls, go Velodyne!

I do blast it in the truck though!
    Go BIG or go home!
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Blasting is what i like to call FULL ANNUITY...Making the speakers earn thier keep... Like on Heart's These dreams the rim shots off the snare is literally ear piercing but clean and clear. Also Norman Brown's just chillin' the snare pop's so well and the bass i can feel all over the house and the glasses and dishes in the kitches vibrate hard 4 rooms away from the unit..that's only when my volume on the preamp is on 3... i am also quite notorious for blowing tweets often---Loud and Proud.!!
    But i never have to worry about that with the Martin Logans...
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I crank it up on a regular basis. The whole family is used to it now. My version of loud, as i once measured, is around 85 to 90 db, in my kitchen which is two rooms away. That's running the HT in party and the 2nd zone pretty cranked.

The house is around 4500 SF, and I can feel it throughout. But you can't stay in two rooms if it is really running.

I can see them now, running around with their fingers in their ears singing tinga linga loo...:D :D:D