Going from tsi500 to rti12 I worth it?

pharmdaddyd
pharmdaddyd Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in Forum Testing Area
Hey Guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my home theater and I currently have tsi500's front, cs20 center, tsi200's for surround rear I am thinking of changing all my speakers to tsi12's front, csi5 center, rti6 surround, do you think it's worth it or not, my receiver is a denon avr-3311ci 125watts per , thanks for any help
Post edited by pharmdaddyd on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2014
    Welcome to Club Polk!

Absolutely! I run a system similar to yours and if I were going to do a Polk HT upgrade. I'd definitely move up to the TOTL Rti or Rti-A towers and the larger center. They also sound nice on Denons!

However, in order to "really" hear the Rti-12s you're going to need a power amplifier hooked up to that Denon as it does not have enough power to make the 12s sing the way they should!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited January 2014
    Seconded. Was horribly unimpressed with the A9's on AVR power. 200wpc from a separate amp made them sing.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited January 2014
    And fourth singing the praises of the A7's matched with Parasound amp. What a difference !!!
  • pharmdaddyd
    edited January 2014
    That is exactly what I wanted to know, I'm not able to preview the speakers here and very much needed you guys help to make a decision, so it looks like I'm going with the rti's I really like the look of the rti-a the entire set of rti's for $1325.00 which seems like a good deal, the set of rti-a speakers would run a lot more but it might be worth it just for the look of them, what amp would you recommend to drive them?
  • chumlie
    edited January 2014
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Isn't the synergy between RTiA7s and Parasound amps amazing ? Night and day diff between receiver power and Parasound power...
    Indeed it is. To the OP, if your looking for a recommendation. Just look at the last three. Parasound, Parasound and Parasound. I don't think you'll go wrong.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2014
    Parasound or B&k amps for cheaper alternatives on amplification for RTI series. I don't know one person who wasn't happy with either choice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pharmdaddyd
    edited January 2014
    I'll check into both,thanks. how many watts per channel would be a good amp to drive these speakers 300? or more since they are rated for 500 watts per
  • chumlie
    edited January 2014
    What speakers did you decide on ?
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited January 2014
    In my experience 200wpc is plenty adequate for my 17x35' room and easy on my ears. For me that was the point of diminishing returns.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2014
    I'll check into both,thanks. how many watts per channel would be a good amp to drive these speakers 300? or more since they are rated for 500 watts per

Please.....take those "manufacturers suggested watt" ratings and forget you ever saw them. Means nothing really. You need quality current that well made amps bring to the table. Watt ratings on speakers is just plain useless.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pharmdaddyd
    edited January 2014
    i decide to go with the rti a9,csi a6,rti a3, and i have a psw505 and a psw125 subwoofers the room these are going into is 25x22 that is open on 2 sides that extend to 40x36, i know not my original question but when i looked at the rtia line I (or should i say my wife) just liked the way they looked better and the price difference was well worth it.
  • pharmdaddyd
    edited January 2014
    a guy i work with said he uses a PylePro PT8000CH Amplifier - 1000 W RMS - 8 Channel do you think this would be a good amp to drive the rti a9's ? i don't know anything about using an amp or what to look for.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited January 2014
    a guy i work with said he uses a PylePro PT8000CH Amplifier - 1000 W RMS - 8 Channel do you think this would be a good amp to drive the rti a9's ? i don't know anything about using an amp or what to look for.

Pro amps aren't the way to go. Look for a nice used Parasound, B&K, Adcom, etc.

Welcome to Club Polk! Check your wallet at the door! :cheesygrin:
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2014
    no, pyle is just that, a pylee of s***, look into getting a used parasound or B&K, check out Audiogon.com, ebay, and your local craigslist
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2014
    i decide to go with the rti a9,csi a6,rti a3, and i have a psw505 and a psw125 subwoofers the room these are going into is 25x22 that is open on 2 sides that extend to 40x36, i know not my original question but when i looked at the rtia line I (or should i say my wife) just liked the way they looked better and the price difference was well worth it.

Very nice selection, you will love those speakers. I did pretty much the same thing you did, only Monitors to RTiA's.

The first thing you'll notice is detail, you will hear more than what you did from your 500's, especially if you use them for 2ch. music.

Don't worry about "too much" power, you can throw anything at the A9's. I have a couple of Emotiva XPA-2's that I run in bridged mode, which makes them mono blocks, so, one amp per speaker........the power on tap for them??? 860w

Of course, I don't utilize all that power, but the headroom is off the charts.

Congrats and welcome to the club.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pharmdaddyd
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for all your input and help guys, I've learned a lot over this and will be putting your advice into practice