Do you remember your first Polk?

13»

Comments

• ddmathis
    ddmathis Posts: 13
    edited February 2014
    My first was a PSW303 and a CSI30. I was sold on the quality of Polk after that and a few years later I went all in with RTI A9/RTI A3/FXI A6/CSI A6 setup.
  • mxsnow
    mxsnow Posts: 1
    My first Polks were Model 10's back in 77, my neighbors probably still hate me playing 1812 Overture on a direct to disk album!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Mine were the RT800. Fun little speaker back in the day. I had them paired with what was essentially a mid bass module. Some kind of 8" Polk sub that I have no recollection of other than it wasn't "really" a sub. More of an enhancement of mid bass, if you will. That was along time ago...maybe a quarter of a century ago.

16r0h3tnt8cs.png

Currently, the only Polks I own are the LSi7 in the LR for those times the family wants to listen to background music (if the main rig isn't on) or watch a movie.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Yes, I just replaced them last week and they now live with my mom. Polk RT400.
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    Monitor 10B closely followed by Monitor 12s
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Monitor 10's with Peerless. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    SDA SRS and still listen to them every day.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    Yes! I loved my monitor 7s in studio black. Purchased for my dorm system in 1988 and used them until I lost them in the divorce. 😥
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • My first Polks were a used pair of Monitor 4's. Then the sickness grew! I have been through many pair since then. Whittled my collection down to a pair of Monitor 5's w/Peerless tweeters, Modded SDA 2B tl's, and modded SDA1C's.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    My first Polks were component fronts and 6.5" rears for my '87 Toyota 4wd that I got from Crustfield. Loved that little setup. Sounded great. Used acoustic mastic from McMaster to line the doors and cab.

My first Polk house speakers, though, were some cat-pissed Monitor 10s, though I did not realize this at time of purchase. I still have them, though the cat piss bonus feature has since faded. This was 2014, so that is to be expected, I imagine.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    2B's bought new in 87' ish.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    After owning a system i bought many years ago from Sears & Roebucks. My first Polk Audio speaker was a 8 inch down subwoofer I traveled 30 miles in a Toyota Yaris to pick up for 20 bucks. As I was there he had 2 big speakers (so I thought) that were Polk SDA2b speakers (picture archived on forum) just sitting there. I asked him if he would sell them & he said no. His friend who passed left them to him. I gave him my phone number & few days later I get a call & I rush out the door. On the way there I wondered if I should have taken the truck lol. They actually fit in the 2dr car. I loaded them up & then joined the forum to learn how to hook them up properly. Since then (flipping days) I've owned 30+ pair or more of Polks used & at least 8 pair of new Polk speaker. Although I've slowed down & only own Polks now. Its been a great audio venture
    Randy/Maine
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    audioluvr wrote: »
    2B's bought new in 87' ish.

Same here in late 80s.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    RT1000's bought new in 1999 and I thought they were terrible. Because of them I shied away from bringing home any other Polk speakers for several years.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    SDA 1 signatures saved from a pawn store. Some knuckle head had been inside trying to wire the dimensional woofer and tweeter to work with no interconnect cable. What a freaking hack job it was.
    I dove in head first and bought Sonicaps and Mills resistors and all new Furutech hookup wire. It was not a cheap endeavor.
  • treitz3
    RT1000's

Did you mean RT1000i's?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    jblack16 wrote: »
    RT55i open box from Circuit City around Y2K - still have them and won't ever sell them.

Great speakers. Welcome to Club Polk!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    treitz3 wrote: »
    RT1000's

Did you mean RT1000i's?

Tom

Correct.
  • treitz3
    Ah, that was (from what has been relayed to me) a Sandy Gross design while he was still at Polk. He pretty much did the same thing with his Golden Ear speakers after he left Polk. He ended up leaving Golden Ear after a 50 year career in 2020.

Like you, I wasn't particularly fond of that design and understand why you would have wanted to take a break from Polk after those.

There was an audio event down here in Charlotte where his Golden Ears speakers were featured. When Sandy asked me, as I was leaving the room, if I liked them. Man, talk about having a deer in the headlights look! Not wanting to be rude....seeing as how the room was still filled with other folks auditioning the speakers, I simply smiled, nodded my head and left the room.

Maybe somewhat decent for an HT speaker but definitely not for 2 channel. Every company out there puts out a less than stellar product every once in a while and for me? These speakers would quite easily win my nomination for that category.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited November 2022
    Definitive was founded in 1990, so he was long gone before the RT and the SRT came out. Srt was like 1995 or 1996.

The RT series was a direct link to the SRT, which was Matt Polks baby. If you were to look at the rt3000 and then look at the srt, it is basically a mini srt setup without sda.

Then there were smaller floor standers built around the same idea...

Rt3000p>rt2000p>rt1000p and then the later improved versions

bzzx3jbp1i4g.jpg
    jccvuxfam9h7.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • I do but, have to confess my first are the sda srs’ I acquired in June of this year 🤪

I am late to the meeting again.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    R50’s. Still have them even though I haven’t had them in a system in probably 20 years. I’d rather keep them than sell them for $50.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • jblack16 wrote: »
    RT55i open box from Circuit City around Y2K - still have them and won't ever sell them.

Great speakers. Welcome to Club Polk!

Thanks, Ken!
    Den HT: Polk RT55i, Polk CS400i, Velodyne VLF-1012, Denon S540BT AVR Main 2 Channel: B&W 606, Sunfire SDS-10, Peachtree Nova 220SE, PC/Foobar/FLAC Office: Polk R100, Van Alstine ST-70, Yamaha RX-V863 (preamp), Denon DVD-2910, Denon DRM-800, SMSL Sanskrit MKiii DAC, PC/Amazon Music Basement: B&W DM110i, Sony STR-DE197, Amazon Echo
  • polkguy1994
    polkguy1994 Posts: 54
    edited February 2023
    I am going to be setting up my system again, a theater set up and a two channel set up. I am an old pokie from the 1980's DB6900 when I was introduced to the car audio line, been a devotie since. I am currently the owner of the following:

2 pair RT2000
    1 pair RT55
    1 pair FX500
    1 one CS400
    1 set RT5000 (RT3000/CS1000 & FX1000)
    1 set FX1000 New in box
    1 sub PSW1000
    2 sub JL Audio Fathom f113

I am seeking information on the SRT Polk line up. Any historian Polk Person have real hard facts on production numbers for the SRT series, not a lot of accurate information on this?

I am looking for SRT Rears, seeking any information on the SRT history details to learn about this product!jjdas75rryoz.jpegw0n3asrf6chn.jpeg
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    That's an excellent lineup of speakers. There are some SRT experts on the forum but I don't know if they know the actual production numbers for the mains, center, surrounds, and control units.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Blast from the past here. Lots of posters no longer with us.