How easy it to situate SDA's on a non-plumb wall?

Options
smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,460
edited November 2013 in Vintage Speakers
It's not!!! If anyone else has had to try this you know it's a real PITA. I didn't even realize the wall was "bowed" until I looked at it from the sides of my set-up. All my equipment is in the basement which was finished off by the previous person who lived here. Funny, everything looks pretty good but that stupid wall. When I'd measure the cabinets' top from the wall they would measure correctly but when looking from the side they were both toed in, no wonder it sounded funny from the other house. So..., after trial and error, several different times, including this morning, again, I think I have it figured out. I'll have to wait until the family is up (the wife doesn't like it when I have music going when she's not awake yet, could never understand that) but I hope this works better.

Granted, I am a perfectionist and know that but dang, how could someone drywall and not notice the bow from one corner to the next? What a pain in the arse, we have chalk lines for a reason. And, yes, this is the only space I have for it at this point. My youngest son got the sound room for his bedroom, don't ask. This is a good open space for SDA's though...
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited November 2013
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    It's not!!! If anyone else has had to try this you know it's a real PITA. I didn't even realize the wall was "bowed" until I looked at it from the sides of my set-up. All my equipment is in the basement which was finished off by the previous person who lived here. Funny, everything looks pretty good but that stupid wall. When I'd measure the cabinets' top from the wall they would measure correctly but when looking from the side they were both toed in, no wonder it sounded funny from the other house. So..., after trial and error, several different times, including this morning, again, I think I have it figured out. I'll have to wait until the family is up (the wife doesn't like it when I have music going when she's not awake yet, could never understand that) but I hope this works better.

Granted, I am a perfectionist and know that but dang, how could someone drywall and not notice the bow from one corner to the next? What a pain in the arse, we have chalk lines for a reason. And, yes, this is the only space I have for it at this point. My youngest son got the sound room for his bedroom, don't ask. This is a good open space for SDA's though...
    I would measure from about halfway up the speaker to the rear wall, 4-5" to start. Use a string line or metal tape rule to square the fronts, and make sure they're parallel with each other. The most important thing for the SDA to work, is they be absolutely parallel with each other. If the spacing off the back wall is off a bit, it's something you'll have to live with.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about from living in a 100 year old house. In my case it took lots of futzing around with placement and then finding a happy medium that I can live with on an out of square wall. People that build things crooked and use poor building techniques should be removed of their testicles if they have any. imo. It's really not that hard to do things correctly and it really irritates me when some jackass trys to save 10 cents and it makes aggravation for decades.