PSW!!! Subwoofer "Clicking"

fairfaxjim
fairfaxjim Posts: 2
edited October 2013 in Troubleshooting
My PSW111 Subwoofer has started making a "clicking" or "ticking" noise. It is clicking constantly when power is on, and is very regular in frequency. It sounds like something electrical is being switched on/off at a precise rate. I have disconnected the inputs and tried all of the power options (Auto/On/Standby) and it continues until I unplug the AC power. I moved the Subwoofer and plugged it into a different outlet on a different circuit and it still clicks.

Help! This is EXTREMELY annoying and this is not a very old subwoofer, I do not want to purchase a new one.

Thanks.

Fairfaxjim
Post edited by fairfaxjim on

Comments

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited October 2013
    Still under warranty? Sounds like a problem with the amp, call Polk customer service on Monday.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2013
    Welcome to Club Polk!

It does sound like something amp related, but did you try switching the sub to ON instead of AUTO, just to see if it might not be the AUTO circuit on the unit? Sounds like it's turning itself on and off?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • fairfaxjim
    fairfaxjim Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    cnh wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk!

It does sound like something amp related, but did you try switching the sub to ON instead of AUTO, just to see if it might not be the AUTO circuit on the unit? Sounds like it's turning itself on and off?

cnh

I have disconnected the inputs and tried all of the power options (Auto/On/Standby) and it continues until I unplug the AC power.

On further testing, it looks like the whole amp is toast! I have to dig around and find the paperwork for it to see if it's under warranty.

Thanks
  • dannyselder
    dannyselder Posts: 15
    edited October 2013
    I've had woofers do that. I have a JBl es250 (if i remember right) that auto shuts off and auto's on but when the tv and stereo, etc shuts off and the woofer is still on just because it hasn't timed out and turned off yet, it will click but its not like a relay click like its turning off and on, its a click like if it was on and you touched the rca inputs. its a 'fuzzy' click. It never did it til the carpet cleaners came and stepped on the cables and probably bent something. How do I insert an angry face... hmm.. An old Cerwin Vega sub I have in the basement does it too in its old age. I can't remember the model but its a dual 8. I've got bad luck with woofers.
  • dannyselder
    dannyselder Posts: 15
    edited October 2013
    Does yours stop eventually? Forgot to post: Mine clicks consistantly every 2-3 secs for maybe 4 or 5 mins and stops when it auto's off.
  • My Polk sub is doing exactly the same thing!
  • It sounds like a capacitor was slowly charging, then quickly discharged.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,309
    Kencohen wrote: »
    It sounds like a capacitor was slowly charging, then quickly discharged.

Plate amp is toast. Time for a new sub. Try a Rythmik.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,494
    NASA is that you
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.