Making high quality interconnects

Options
Shell
Shell Posts: 134
I found this web page at Outlaw that describes in good detail how to make a great interconnect. http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000069.html
Post edited by Shell on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks, the buss wire use will help me overcome a problem I ran into in making three long IC's for Component Video...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Component video rg59 works great.For audio cables I find rg59 to sound thin.Squeeky and lack speed.Not a very good detailed sounding cable.I know as I build them.I use this method in the field when nessary when Monster isn't available.I perfer to use 2 conductor with a shield and drain to build long Ic's for multiroom use.

Sound quality is always lost to a degree when running long runs.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yep, wrapping the buss wire around is good info. Thanks.

I have resumed my DIY IC adventures. Just did some braided ICs using stranded silver plated copper that's shielded. First tests were VERY promising, but I think I broke a connector when disconnecting (I'm out of shrink wrap). Next is single strand pure silver (save the shields for panties).
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Wrapping the buss wire is a pretty nice idea.

For the price and simplicity of manufacture, I am in favor of using Belden 89259 cable, Dayton solder type RCA plugs (P/N 091-1265 from Parts Express) and some 1/4" expandable sleeving.

Belden 89259 is a perferred cable by Jon Risch and many others. I think you will find that it's a better choice than your standard variety RG59.

DIY_Cables_25.JPG
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • Shell
    Shell Posts: 134
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks Turbota that looks sweet.

Mantis, what do you use to control your multi room audio? I am about to move into a new house that I had 8 zones wired for sound. I was thinking about going with Russound Cav6.6 cause of price but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Turbota - Nice interconnect, good work :)

Shell - Check out Niles Audio, they are fairly inexpensive, and available for data at www.nilesaudio.com or www.crutchfield.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • aba4430
    aba4430 Posts: 80
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Guys,
    Where can I buy Belden 89259 wire? I look at it as a fun project without effecting my pocketbook too much. Thx, aba
  • goldendomer
    goldendomer Posts: 7
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Got a kenwood vr 410 receiver and just got 2 polk rti 150. whats best way to hook them up. got them bi wired right now. but can't get the jumpers i made tighten on the post real good. Also, will the monster cables or belkins fit in my receiver. then just use banana plugs for the 150"s
  • aba4430
    aba4430 Posts: 80
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Folks,
    1. I can get any length of Belden 89259 cable locally for $1.53/foot plus taxes. The links given me above do not sell the core cable itself, but interconnects only. Is this a good deal, or is there an on-line store that will sell ~150' of the cable cheaper?
    2. I have also been eyeing the Monster 300, 400, 550 and Ultra THX (no Y adapter with this one) sub cables recently. Any feedback on these? Would something like the 300 be as good as the 550, for example?
    My preference is still to make my own interconnects. Would the Belden cable satisfy audio, video (digital/analog) needs? Appreciate it.
    aba
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Quote: "Would the Belden cable satisfy audio, video (digital/analog) needs? Appreciate it."

I am not an expert, as some folks here may be ... But I can tell you one thing; The Belden 89259 cable is the best overall cable on the open market for 2 channel audio at a reasonable price. It makes for great sounding interconnects. Just use a quality set of RCA plugs on each end and some nice expandable sleeving if you want them to look like you paid big bucks for the interconnects.

As far as video is concerned; If you need a set of these interconnects, I would just purchase a good quality "component" cable set (if your TV and DVD player have the proper RCA jacks for the '3 cable' component setup) and your ready to go with no degredation in video quality.

Ron,

Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited February 2004
    Options
    ABA, 150 feet of this at $0.09 a foot should be fine.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    It's also a neat thing to see alot of the DIY pioneers and advocates, USE the Belden brand or common genre, and NOT that aforementioned cable. I imagine they are all crazy and know nothing about audio.

If you wish to spend 0.09/ft, please for the love of the audio god, do so, and rock on. The only way you will ever know if anything makes a difference, is to try it yourself.

John K - Have you signed up for the free demo program? It's available to you also.

I wouldn't call something free and subject to personal interpretation, a BIG conspiracy against the whole audio community.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.