Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited September 2013
    Lots of people rocking JBL as their first set. I'm no different: JBL 500

084256753_030635680030526256cd1957df06eb34e50ce141ee17207b3f4a9bafc4.jpg
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,249
    edited September 2013
    In high school, I bought four speakers. All my friends had two speakers, so I was "The Man" back then.

Realistic Optimus T120 speakers with Super Tweeters on top
    Pioneer CS-G301W Speakers
    Powered by a Pioneer SX-303 Receiver and soon after I bought a BSR EQ-3000 to go with it.

I loved that Pioneer receiver, I ended up selling it to a friend because I wanted a digital tuner. I ended up buying a Pioneer with digital tuner and it sounded nothing like the 303. I hated it. I ended up selling it to the same guy and buying the 303 back. The tuner went out in it years later, I had been using it in the office. Saw one in a pawn shop about 15 years ago and almost bought it, but didn't. I still use those Pioneer speakers in the room I workout in. No signs of rot. As you can tell, I'm using the Optimus speakers as stands for the Pioneers. I hate to get rid of those T-120s, they have oiled walnut cabinets but the surrounds need to be replaced. I even sat a sheet of bubble wrap on top of them before sitting the Pios on them.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,597
    edited September 2013
    Don't remember the model number now but my first speakers were some crappy 3 way Technics. I remember my grandfather buying them for me at Wal-Mart. That was back around 1982 I think.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,646
    edited September 2013
    Bolivar Speaker Works Model 64
    Coupled with a Yamaha CR-1020 and a Sony CDP.
    All inherited from my uncle who bought them new (the CDP much later on) while in college.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited September 2013
    Some JVC 3-way speakers that came with a JVC rack system. About 6mos. after buying the system, I was in a pawn shop and found some Polk Audio Monitor 4's. I've been a fan ever since.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2013
    I was on Okinawa and bought a pair of Coral speakers, can't remember the model.
  • squeeb
    squeeb Posts: 426
    edited September 2013
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

EPI 1200 - great rockin' speakers for college. They always seemed large to me until I put them next to some SDA SRS IIs.
    Still have them. Had to replace the woofers a few years back. I think the girls playing their Spice Girls and N'Sync music made them finally give up. :sad:
    7.3 HT: Sunfire TGR-3, Sunfire Series II, Mirage OMD-28, OMD-5 (x4), REL T1 (2), T2, Oppo 103D, Optoma HD8200PRO, 106" screen, SB Touch
    Family Room: Yamaha RX-V2700, RT25i, 42" Samsung, SB Duet
    Pool: Yamaha V2700, SQ Duet, Atrium 60 (2), Atrium 45 (3), Atrium 65sdi
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,489
    edited September 2013
    Advent 3002's were my first. Driven by a 40WPC Sony receiver. Sources were a Magnavox CDB650, a Nak BX125, & A Sony linear tracker of some sort. I think I was 13-14 yrs old at the time. Had them for a couple of years then upgraded the Sony receiver to an Adcom GFA-535/GTP-500 combo & the Advents to a pair of Polk 10Bs.
    Advent3002.jpg
  • rmaiers
    rmaiers Posts: 145
    edited September 2013
    http://www.vintagesylvania.net/?page=components&category=spkr&model=AS-225A

These are my first real speakers and I still have them. I had the woofers reconed a number of years ago. I need to get them hooked up to one of my Hafler amps and see how they sound.
  • gameover
    gameover Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    MY FIRST FRONT is POLK R30 Black
    4phl.jpg puig.jpg

My 2nd Front is POLK Tsi300 Black
    1ksz.jpg

My last Front is RtiA7 :D what a awesome front from POLKAUDIO :D
    |Front: Polk RtiA7|Center: Polk CsiA4|Side: Polk FxiA4|Back: Wharfedale WH2|Sub: Wharfedale SW150|
    |AVR: Yamaha RX A1010|BDP: DENON UD1611|Int. Amp: Rotel RA1520
    |TV: LG 3D 55LM6700|Console: PS3 Slim 120Gb|
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,536
    edited September 2013
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Advent 3002's were my first. Driven by a 40WPC Sony receiver. Sources were a Magnavox CDB650, a Nak BX125, & A Sony linear tracker of some sort. I think I was 13-14 yrs old at the time. Had them for a couple of years then upgraded the Sony receiver to an Adcom GFA-535/GTP-500 combo & the Advents to a pair of Polk 10Bs.
    Advent3002.jpg

Is that your speaker in the photo or just a stock photo. If the former, you probably know that those arent't the original woofers, yes? :-( Kind of unfortunate.
    If the photo is one of your Advents (and just out of curiosity): did you replace 'em or did you get 'em like that

EDIT: well, OK... I see where the photo came from... and so I am not sure that the woofer is or isn't original! Sorry :-( I still suspect it's a replacement... but not sure, so... (and to quote Roseanne Roseannadanna) nevermind. :-P

FWiW, the woofers in a 3002 should (??) look like the woofer in this 5012.

9731502130_94ab74bbcb_b.jpg
    5012nude2 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    Technics, that said they would create 'lease breaking' sound. Yeah!

9728329873_b9898a3b94_b.jpg
    panasign1 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    Well... not Technics, but the parent, Panasonic... you get the picture ;-)
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited September 2013
    My first system, bought with money working construction while in college, was Marantz and Dual:

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Imperial 6 speakers (designed to compete with Large Advents), 1030 amp - rated at 15 wpc, but tested at around 22-25, and a bottom of the line Dual TT with a Shure Cartridge.

Sold the Imperial 6's for Large Advents, upgraded to Marantz 1060 then to a 1070 then to a separate 240 power amp and 3200 pre. Upgraded the TT to a Sanyo, then to a Technics 1200 with an SME 3009 arm.

Got divorced from the Technics/SME, and bought a Denon with a carbon fiber Black Widow arm, which I still have. Eventually out went the Advents and in came ADS L700's, and then Polk RTA 12C's to Def Tech BP 30's and finally to 2.3TL's.

Whew - what a circuitous route, and that's not even all of it :eek:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,489
    edited September 2013
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Is that your speaker in the photo or just a stock photo. If the former, you probably know that those arent't the original woofers, yes? :-( Kind of unfortunate.
    If the photo is one of your Advents (and just out of curiosity): did you replace 'em or did you get 'em like that

EDIT: well, OK... I see where the photo came from... and so I am not sure that the woofer is or isn't original! Sorry :-( I still suspect it's a replacement... but not sure, so... (and to quote Roseanne Roseannadanna) nevermind. :-P

FWiW, the woofers in a 3002 should (??) look like the woofer in this 5012.

Yeah, I used a photo I found over @ AK. I don't remember well enough to say if that photo shows an original woofer, but I do know the woofer did not look anything like the 5012 woofer. It did not have the ribbing or exposed voicecoil leads. It was an 8" woofer as well.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2013
    drumminman wrote: »
    My first system, bought with money working construction while in college, was Marantz and Dual:

Imperial 6 speakers (designed to compete with Large Advents), 1030 amp - rated at 15 wpc, but tested at around 22-25, and a bottom of the line Dual TT with a Shure Cartridge...

Re: Imperial 6 - you probably knew all of this already...
    http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeakers-when-is-good-enough-enough-part-1

Those old CTS paper cone drivers were really amazingly competent despite their "low tech" design - they enabled a whole bunch of 'better than they ought to be' loudspeakers from some of the bigger names in component hifi in the late 1960s and into the 1970s...
  • drumminman
    edited September 2013
    I read that a while back. I really liked the 6's, but the advents were to my ears a bit more solid in the bass, and slightly smoother. Of course the Marantz would have sounded better with more power behind them.

The 6's could really wow you on good material though. One of my favorites at that time for both content and SQ was Fragile/Yes.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • RduNC
    RduNC Posts: 87
    edited September 2013
    DaveHo:

My first pair of "real" speakers were also the Advent 3002. Can't for the life of me remember what receiver I used to drive them, but I thought they were a darn good speaker.
  • Summerwind2
    Summerwind2 Posts: 98
    edited September 2013
  • drumminman
    edited September 2013
    Does Advent 1 = the original Large Advent? Looks like it.
  • Summerwind2
    edited September 2013

Not sure. These have a solid wood cab but I think it was right before the "large Advent" They're small and heavy.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2013
    The early Advents (OLA) all had nice wood cabs, and the masonite insert around the woofer. The woofer also had an "inverted" foam surround. See below! The above are later versions, not earlier! But still nice!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2013

Judging by the grille "pins", I'd say "no"... but the Advent legacy (pun intended - Advent made a speaker called "Legacy"!) is complex and convoluted! This speaker looks like an "[Original] Utility Advent" to me, but, again, the grille mounts were different on the early "Originals".
    The aforementioned "Identifying Advents" thread at AK is quite useful to explore the topic...
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2013
    cnh wrote: »
    The early Advents (OLA) all had nice wood cabs, and the masonite insert around the woofer. The woofer also had an "inverted" foam surround. See below! The above are later versions, not earlier! But still nice!

cnh
    That was Henry's design, to get a longer throw out of the 10" woofer cone. The frame is a nominal 12". They're a real PITA to re-foam. Whoever did the one in the photo did it incorrectly.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Summerwind2
    edited September 2013
    That was Henry's design, to get a longer throw out of the 10" woofer cone. The frame is a nominal 12". They're a real PITA to re-foam. Whoever did the one in the photo did it incorrectly.

IMHO the reform is not 100% correct. The foam should attach to the underside of the cone and not to the outside of the cone
  • Summerwind2
    edited September 2013
    IMHO the reform is not 100% correct. The foam should attach to the underside of the cone and not to the outside of the cone

hey westmassguy I typed to fast. we're both saying the same thing...
  • Summerwind2
    edited September 2013
    I incorrectly reformed the one in my pic too because it such a PITA.
  • westmassguy
    edited September 2013
    I incorrectly reformed the one in my pic too because it such a PITA.
    When someone pays me to re-foam an Advent, It's done correctly. The T/S parameters change if the foam is mounted wrong, and will differ from Henry's design intent.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    edited September 2013
    BTW, that design was used in the Dahlquist DQ10s. It's unclear whether they were used with or without Henry's permission
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    edited September 2013
    Here are my New

Attachment not found.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    edited September 2013
    1968-69 era Fisher's, can't recall the model number, but they were STOUT.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2013

Yeah, I just pulled a stock photo there. I have an original set that has been refoamed properly by a guy who's refoamed so many speakers he's almost a legend over at AK.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]