Tweeters for 1980 Monitors'

Options
mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
edited January 2004 in Troubleshooting
I have already told folks I am looking to replace the tweeter in one of my Monitor 10A's I purchased around 1980 (or 1979).

Several have suggested a SL1000 now on E-bay. Some say to replace both with new SL2500's.

BUT in reviewing some posts, I found one in the flea market section from a couple years ago (http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=522&highlight=sl1000) I see someone stating that Monitors from pre 1980 have non-polk tweeters that are superior to the 1000's etc.....and that the crossovers in the pre1980 speakers do not work well with the newer tweeters.

What is fact and what is fiction? Am I screwed on the tweeter? Does anyone REALLY know what the facts are?

My tweeters have no words on them, are completely black and I bought the 10A's in 79-80. ARe they 1000's or are they some older, extinct species????
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    yeah, I have seen that page. That's why the post saying the 79-80 year models had diff tweeters was a concern. Didn;t know if the poster is in the know or just spouting a myth.

btw I am still trying to figure out why the tweeter is busted. Looks perfect. If the crossover is shot, would I also lose the midranges??
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Tweeter shot...hmmmmm, let's see. 20+ years old, bad voice coil, amp clipped........no, if the crossover is having a problem it doesn't mean it will affect the mids.

Can you post a pic of the tweeter?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I'll get a picture up here on Sunday. Left the camera at the in-laws on Christmas. Thanks for the help
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I would simply save a few bucks and replace them with this:

Peerless #810665, 1" Dome Tweeter.
    Cost = $29.40 each.

You can buy them from www.partsexpress.com
    The phone number is: 1-800-338-0531

More than likely, this is an exact replacement to the tweeter that you already have.

Please note: this is a high-end 8-ohm tweeter with 80 watts power handling capacity. In short, it will work absolutely fine.

- Ron
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    The Peerless in No Longer Available...................par for the course. Thanks anyway.

Gotta wait till Polk reopens on Monday and hope they can find me something.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Madisound.com still shows the Peerless as being available.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Ok, it seems Polk has a drop in replacement, the new SL2000T I believe. Get two of those and be done with it.

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I can personally vouch for the SL2000T as being a wonderful tweeter.
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I am going to get them on Monday from Polk. Now I hope they have them........Thanks
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Oh what a fool am I.

Talked to Polk today. Very honest people. Saved me a hundred bucks.

Even though my fuse looked perfect, they suggested I swap it out anyway in case it had a hairline separation that was not detectble.

Voila..........my tweeters work again (btw...they said they are Peerless).

Tweeters work in the Monitor 10A's, receiver on its' way. Picking up pair of RTi28's for $100 for LR surround............need a good sub.............and then see if I need a front center................

Thank you everyone.

mgd99
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options

President of Club Polk

• mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Son of a gun. THAT is what my tweeter looks like. I'll track it.

Thanks