Dynamatted my drivers today, should I do the PRs too?

Options
ipsullivan
ipsullivan Posts: 65
edited August 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I finally got around the Dynamatting the drivers on my RTA 11ts, turned out pretty good.

Should I do the passive radiators as well? I should have more than enough Dynamat left.

Also, I did not do the magnets. I read that some people suggest it, and others frown upon it. Any insight on why or why not?

Thanks,
Ian

9167687565_933946c4a6_o.jpg
Post edited by ipsullivan on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yes, do the PR's. The magnets do not ring, so no need to do them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ipsullivan wrote: »
    Also, I did not do the magnets. I read that some people suggest it, and others frown upon it. Any insight on why or why not?

9167687565_933946c4a6_o.jpg

No need to Dynamat the magnets, as F1 said above. It is, however, a good idea to secure the magnets with some JB Weld, Loctite, or any other good ceramic/metal adhesive while you have the drivers out of the cabinets. This simple task should make the possibility of any of the magnets shifting - pretty much trashing* the driver - much less likely. There are several threads on this, with pics, available.

* - the driver can often be repaired after a magnet shift, but the process of doing so is, IMO, a delicate, tedious task that's not worth the time/effort required.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2013
    Options
    We had this stuff at work called Plastic Dip and we would coat the handles of our tools with it.
    What you are trying to accomplish here is to remove any ringing or reflection from the metal components in the speaker.
    Has anyone tried another method? Polk had a cheap attempt to cut down on the ringing of the PR it was a thin cardboard ring
    glued on the back, I only found this on my 2.3tls not my 1c and one of them had fallen off or was not put on properly to begin with.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2013
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    We had this stuff at work called Plastic Dip and we would coat the handles of our tools with it.
    What you are trying to accomplish here is to remove any ringing or reflection from the metal components in the speaker.
    Has anyone tried another method? Polk had a cheap attempt to cut down on the ringing of the PR it was a thin cardboard ring
    glued on the back, I only found this on my 2.3tls not my 1c and one of them had fallen off or was not put on properly to begin with.

I had the same thing on the back of one of my 15TL's PRs.

Plasti-Dip in a heavy enough coat could probably have the same effect but you would have to avoid overspray onto the cones or spider.
    Of course, you could probably brush on the non aerosol version...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • PolkieMan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Interesting. I know Dyna-mat is kinda of a tar based product and you would have a tough time cutting little pieces to get perfect coverage.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I had the same thing on the back of one of my 15TL's PRs.

Plasti-Dip in a heavy enough coat could probably have the same effect but you would have to avoid overspray onto the cones or spider.
    Of course, you could probably brush on the non aerosol version...
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited June 2013
    Options
    With the passives having more open metal, I would think they would be more important to do then the drivers..

Plasti-dip has nothing on Dynamat, and I would never suggest using it on this application.. The time it would take to mask everything off is a deal breaker in its self, let alone you would never get the same thickness as Dynamat, nor the same quality..

I say bury that idea 6 feet under..
  • ipsullivan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    With the passives having more open metal, I would think they would be more important to do then the drivers..

Plasti-dip has nothing on Dynamat, and I would never suggest using it on this application.. The time it would take to mask everything off is a deal breaker in its self, let alone you would never get the same thickness as Dynamat, nor the same quality..

I say bury that idea 6 feet under..

Looks like I will be doing the PRs tomorrow.

Also, one of the gaskets on one of the mids was a little bent and peeling a bit. Is there somewhere that I can get replacements for all the gaskets?

I agree, I have used Plasti-dip before(not for speakers) and it definitely does not come anywhere close to what Dynamat can do.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Most of the time, plasti-dip is only put on in one or two coats...and I agree, that won't come anywhere near to Dynamat.
    But I am talking putting on enough coats to put it at or above the thickness of Dynamat.
    Go to your toolbox and grab a pair of quality side cutters or linesman's pliers and look at the insulation on the handles. That's the thickness I am referring to. Plasti-dip builds up thickness rapidly with 5+ coats. I have experimented with coats up to 1/4 inch for other things.

But I digress as the time/materials would easily surpass the ease of Dynmat that can be had for about $25 for enough to do a pair of RTA-15TLs.
    Just a thought for an alternative. I can send anyone who is interested a sample of some of the thicker applications for comparison if so interested.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ipsullivan wrote: »
    Looks like I will be doing the PRs tomorrow.

Also, one of the gaskets on one of the mids was a little bent and peeling a bit. Is there somewhere that I can get replacements for all the gaskets?

You can re-do all of your gaskets (MWs, PRs, tweeters and binding post cups) and have a ton left over with one roll of Armacell insulation tape. You can get a 30' x 2" roll from Home Depot for about $8. Just cut the tape into 1/2"-wide strips and stick them to the metal of the drivers, etc. Works like a charm, is cheap and easy to do. Just make sure you remove the old gaskets prior to sticking the new ones on.
  • PolkieMan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yea it was just a thought and I was thinking about doing the PR since there is less chance of **** them up and they would probably need it the most.
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Most of the time, plasti-dip is only put on in one or two coats...and I agree, that won't come anywhere near to Dynamat.
    But I am talking putting on enough coats to put it at or above the thickness of Dynamat.
    Go to your toolbox and grab a pair of quality side cutters or linesman's pliers and look at the insulation on the handles. That's the thickness I am referring to. Plasti-dip builds up thickness rapidly with 5+ coats. I have experimented with coats up to 1/4 inch for other things.

But I digress as the time/materials would easily surpass the ease of Dynmat that can be had for about $25 for enough to do a pair of RTA-15TLs.
    Just a thought for an alternative. I can send anyone who is interested a sample of some of the thicker applications for comparison if so interested.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Dynamat Extreme was designed as a dampening material. Plasti-dip was designed to coat things such as tool handles. Two very different products with two very different specific purposes.
    you would have a tough time cutting little pieces to get perfect coverage.

Dynamat Extreme cuts easily with scissors or a razor knife and perfect coverage is not needed for it to be 100% effective. All that is needed are strips on the spokes and in the case of a PR, apply some to the round end bell, that's it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm a little more anal retentive than that. I always do full coverage on the PRs and Drivers.

100_1402.JPG
    100_1403.JPG
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2013
    Options
    This is how you dynamat PR's:

IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg

Once you do that and tap the basket, you become a believer in this mod. It applies across the board with the MW's as well.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Complete overkill.

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2013
    Options
    You remind me of me Andre, "Everything matters"!:lol:

Outstanding work/attention to detail!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ipsullivan
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Is Armacell relatively flexible once it is in a 1/2" strip? Will I be able to do each driver/PR with one strip?
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Very easy to work with, compresses very easily. Before you cut one full length strip, save enough full width strips to do the tweeters also.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited June 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Complete overkill.

I agree. As nice of a job as that job is, one does not need that much to prevent ringing. Think about putting your finger on a ringing bell. Doesnt take much to silence it.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Complete overkill.

Yep!!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Complete overkill.
    deronb1 wrote: »
    I agree. As nice of a job as that job is, one does not need that much to prevent ringing. Think about putting your finger on a ringing bell. Doesnt take much to silence it.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Yep!!

Gee thanks guys. Regardless, it really helped the ringing which I was satisfied with.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Yes, do the PR's.

Agreed. I found the PRs ring more because they don't have any deadening and mass provided by the magnet structure.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Will Armacell work in this application?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2013
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Will Armacell work in this application?

In place of Dynamat Extreme? Not even close.

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited July 2013
    Options
    In place of Dynamat Extreme? Not even close.

What I figured.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • pietsch288
    pietsch288 Posts: 58
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Just when I thought I was "done" messing with my theater, I come across this crap :)...... Looks like its time to buy some Dynamat.

Do I really have to put it on the tweeter?? I have rt3000p's. rich
    lol
    onkyo 5008, epson 8350, 148" DIY screen
    4 svs cs ultras, 2 diy (fi) 18" sonosubs, sms-1 (2), ep2500 (2)
    sunfire cinema grand signature
    polk rt3000p x 6
    polk cs1000p
    panasonic BD
    room treatments
    monster power cond

converted 15x23x10 attached garage to dedicated theater

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/50656-where-can-i-buy-18-subwoofer-7.html#ixzz2X5Ff1nOj
  • F1nut
    edited August 2013
    Options
    pietsch288 wrote: »
    Do I really have to put it on the tweeter??

There's no need to put it on any tweeter.

President of Club Polk

• pietsch288
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I assume I should "mat" the 6"ers in the satalite speakers as well as the 8"ers in the sub? rich
    polk rt3000p x 6
    polk cs1000p
    panasonic BD
    room treatments
    monster power cond

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/50656-where-can-i-buy-18-subwoofer-7.html#ixzz2X5Ff1nOj
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited August 2013
    Options
    pietsch288 wrote: »
    I assume I should "mat" the 6"ers in the satalite speakers as well as the 8"ers in the sub? rich
    Any woofer or passive radiator with a light weight, stamped steel basket frame will theoretically benefit from the Dynamat
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pietsch288
    edited August 2013
    Options
    As long as I have the speakers out anyway......is there any other speaker or box mod must do's??
    polk rt3000p x 6
    polk cs1000p
    panasonic BD
    room treatments
    monster power cond

• F1nut
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Upgrading the components on your crossovers are a must do.

President of Club Polk