I want to paint it black....

Options
echoofformless
echoofformless Posts: 28
edited June 2013 in Speakers
Yes I know, this will be sacrilegious and cringeworthy for many of you, me included...but it must be done.

I have a pair of Monitor 70s in black with silver facing. The silver facing looks really out of place in my decor. I mean really, really out of place.

So I have decided that I need to paint the faces black (so they will look like the Series 2).

What kind of paint should I be using, and what method? I'm assuming a low gloss oil based enamel. Should I go through the hassle of taking out the drivers in order to spray the coat, or do you think I could get away with using a pad/brush?
Post edited by echoofformless on

Comments

• Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I think the million dollar question you are trying to ask is "where can I buy black paint", right? I think there is a thread about that here somewhere.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Just keep the grills on'em.

Definitely remove the drivers. Sand them a bit. Id probably use rustoleum spray paint in light coats. I painted a stainless steel motorcycle exhaust once with that stuff and lasted until I Sold it anyway which was at least a couple years later.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Habanero Monk
    Habanero Monk Posts: 715
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Pull the drivers out. Tape off the sides and top. Scuff the existing baffle with 600 grit. Buzzcan with Rust-o-leam primer and a finish enamel of your choosing. Clear coat buzz can and hit with buffing compound. Wait a few days between paint and clear coat for the paint to fully cure.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2013
    Options
    madmax wrote: »

You beat me to it...classic.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited June 2013
    Options
    First thing, you need to know what product was used to color the Titanium faces. I suggest you CALL Polk to inquire. There are a lot of products that will not accept a different type of product applied on top of them, so just grabbing a can of something could lead to a major disaster. Better yet, leave the grills on. They are there for a damn good reason.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I like mine naked too.... Guess that isn't good??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I plainted my Monitor 70 faces black and they came out great.

I just taped off the cabinets, sanded the surface to rough it up. Primed it, re-sanded and then several lite coats of black satin paint.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    edited June 2013
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with leaving the grills off. It's designed to protect the drivers while letting sound come through. If your drivers are in no danger of being hit with anything, no worries.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have a pair of Monitor 70s in black with silver facing. The silver facing looks really out of place in my decor. I mean really, really out of place.

So I have decided that I need to paint the faces black (so they will look like the Series 2).

The series II has a matt finish on the faces. The gloss finish might look pretty cool.

A few good suggestions have been given here, rough up the surface a tad bit with fine grit sand paper after you've removed the drivers and taped off the inside of the driver openings and where the face meets the cabinet and give it a go.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • echoofformless
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

FYI - I do leave the grills on, but they don't fully cover the silver and it just sticks out like a sore thumb in my decor.
  • bondslex
    bondslex Posts: 108
    edited June 2013
    Options
    No problem.
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    80 fx ls for atmos
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Marantz 7012
    Panasonic 9000
    JVC 420
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2013
    Options
    bondslex wrote: »
    No problem.

You sure have made a lot of useless posts tonight. To much crank?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2013
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You sure have made a lot of useless posts tonight. To much crank?

Observe his post count.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I bet that rubber paint in a spray can would look cool.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Poolgod69
    Poolgod69 Posts: 184
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I think you are just looking for a reason to get new speakers...lol.

Just go for it!!! :cheesygrin:
    Marantz SR 5010
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up :rolleyes:
  • echoofformless
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Haha if I got new speakers, I would just be replacing the normal Monitor 70's with the Series 2 versions that are all black. I would lose a bit on the resale of what I already have.
  • nodes
    nodes Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I would use Plasti Dip, can be bought at Home Depot for less then $6 and is peelable if you do want to go back to factory look.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2013
    Options
    nodes, welcome to Club Polk. That said, your idea is horrible. Same goes for RamZet's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2013
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

They are designed to sound their best with the grills on. Removing the grills will present a slightly brighter sound.

President of Club Polk

• timk65
    timk65 Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thinking about painting my 5JR's since the vinyl is starting to peel off and look like hell. In anycase I would pull of the vinyl, use a filler to get the cabinet glassy smooth, and then use Krylon on it.