I still want vintage Bose 901s. Talk me into/out of it.

Options
c_corie
c_corie Posts: 138
edited June 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm building a nice B&W CM8 setup, it's almost done. Still thought I love the idea of Bose 901 Series I or II, hell maybe even III. I used to own a pair of Teak? VI from the late 80s, those sounded pretty good.

My dad briefly owned some series III or IV, which had a MUCH brighter sound (he sent them back to Bose- they have a deal trading towards brand new 901s- we realized the surrounds were not fixed correctly and didn't want to try to re-fix them.)

Anyway point is, what is the "best 901" or even best Bose speaker. I owned Series III 201, and they were nice but lacked bass and depth.

Sadly no matter what "great" stereo I have, I will always have a soft spot for vintage Bose stuff. So any idea or suggestions are welcome.
Post edited by c_corie on

Comments

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Many here despise them .If your not fortunate to get the drivers w/ the rubber surrounds(forgot what series ) then you have 18 rotting drivers. 2. They have to work well w/ the EQ that fits that particular series. 3. They are extremely placement critical. If you read the manual there are more not do this than any positive placement positioning.They look perfect for corner placement and that's one of the don'ts. Even when hung from the ceiling which is how my friend did his there are exacting peramiters for this also.If your so into a Bose product then go to the 601s. These as most know here I brought back to life, refoamed then redid the cabinets and sounded great w/ a strong amp which I have.I did eventually sell them for $185 after getting them for $20 +30 for refoaming kit + some Olde English Polish and some of my own labor.They are asking for high #s on E-Bay for 601s.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,380
    edited June 2013
    Options
    They're perfectly OK - they just need lots of power to deliver what they're capable of. Be sure you get the EQ module (maybe the later versions had this built in? I dunno).

FWIW (not that anyone asked) Bose has a pretty good track record of "getting the midrange right" and (again FWIW) the Bose 301 - particularly the earlier versions - is my all-around favorite Bose loudspeaker.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    edited June 2013
    Options
    My opinion is that the series VI was the only 901 I liked. The VI finally got away from the "music in the tunnel" sound of earlier versions. I also owned the the Teak/sand 901's for many years.

With alot of power and proper hook-up of the EQ (Don't connect between amp and preamp, use a processor loop) you can get some pretty satisfying results.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have a friend who uses them as rear surrounds for his vintage set-up, and that's the best application for them I've heard.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,597
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Been there, done that. You'll buy it, love some things, hate a lot more, and end up selling it at a loss.
    It's kind of like getting back together with an ex-wife.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • c_corie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Been there, done that. You'll buy it, love some things, hate a lot more, and end up selling it at a loss.

Yea kind of what I'm thinking...I had the Teak pair for 6 months, and had to find music to suit them...it was like Jazz/Acoustic stuff or classic rock...stuff where the high end was less prominent or at least you didn't seem to miss it as much.

But I've always went, "good speaker, Bose, good speaker, Bose."
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,516
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ....that there is funny LMAO
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,592
    edited June 2013
    Options

Nail....meet Mr. Hammer!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Poolgod69
    Poolgod69 Posts: 184
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have a pair of Bose 401's I purchased in 1993 and they still sound great. I have them in my loft hooked up to the TV and receiver up there.

I have not listed them in my signature because I do not want to get crap for owning Bose....hehe
    Marantz SR 5010
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up :rolleyes:
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The problem with Bose speakers is that they are overpriced and cheaply built. The cones are plain paper which gets affected by humidity as it ages. Of course, the newer ones have foam rot, and changing 18 surrounds is not fun. The equalizer seems to either fail or get lost between owners.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,516
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Poolgod69 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Bose 401's I purchased in 1993 and they still sound great. I have them in my loft hooked up to the TV and receiver up there.

I have not listed them in my signature because I do not want to get crap for owning Bose....hehe
    ....i had some that model and they did a good job & i paid 20.00 for them years ago
  • Bob in WI
    Bob in WI Posts: 155
    edited June 2013
    Options
    We "do" audio as a hobby & like things for reasons other than impeccable sound. We don't criticize guys who put their souls into fixing an old Mustang because we all "get it". Good luck with your Bose Mustang. I enjoyed my 901s alot & had them for many years but I can't honestly give a realistic appraisal of their sound. It was some number of decades ago & I had limited basis of comparison at the time.
  • sucks2beme
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I see a set of 901's in the local CL at least once a week. 90% don't have the EQ.
    Are all the owners that friggin dazed and confused they can't keep track of the EQ?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,380
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It's just like all the DVDs and CDPs I find sans remotes. Somewhere in South America I think there are vast deposits of condensed remotes that evaporated from the Northern Hemisphere.

... to say nothing of all of the orphaned socks that lie just north of the South Pole...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Hey, if you don't like 'em.....pop out the drivers and you've got a dandy herb garden box.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The 901's are a cool speaker to play with. I think all audio enthusiasts should own a pair at one time during their journey. I had a roommate that had a pair of the series III, I believe. Myself I had the Bose 801 commercial monitors that were essentially a 901 turned around. I used them for a party/DJ system with a pair of Crown DC300 amps. I will say that I have never heard Golden Country by REO sound any better than through that system!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Buy the BOSE speakers, They make good seats for the patio. make sure they do not get wet, because their cheap "PARTICLE BOARD" cabinets will be destroyed in no time. I love when people just see the name Bose and they get all crazy.:lol:
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • c_corie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions as to which series? Or maybe should I stick with 201/301? I occasionally see those 4.2 and whatnot's on CL or Ebay are those worth a look?
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Series VI, in my opinion. They brought the sound more forward, and made them slightly more efficient. The equalizer got quite a few changes as well in this series. IIRC, the Series VI also have rubber surrounds.

I got very good results with them just about 9" from the rear wall (from the back apex of the speaker), with them about 8-9 ft apart. Make sure the rear drivers are hitting a reflective surface (not curtains, etc). Don't be afraid to adjust the treble slider for a little more sparkle. Either use a processor loop, or a record-out set---DO NOT connect between the pre and amp, this is a last resort connection. You'll get far better results going line-level, esp with S/N ratio.

They are quite FUN with Rock/Pop and Progressive Jazz; not good with classical or "nit pickers" that listen to music with a lab coat on.

Most of the "Bose Blows" crowd have never heard them in a good setup, obviously. It's the "IN" thing to hate them, for whatever reason, I'm not really sure.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sucks2beme
    edited June 2013
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »

Most of the "Bose Blows" crowd have never heard them in a good setup, obviously. It's the "IN" thing to hate them, for whatever reason, I'm not really sure.

I've heard them in the Bose demo store in Okinowa outside the base in 1977. They didn't sell Bose.
    They only demo'ed them.Their job was to let you listen, and then send you somewhere to buy.
    There was even a way to buy and have delivered to your home stateside.
    They had a good amp setup, a turntable, and a whole wall of albums. Yes it did sound good.
    I spent many hours just sitting there as they spun albums.
    But we all now how hard it is to get the space to set them up in your home. I ended up going
    the JBL L100 route. Much easier to place and use. And sounded about as good(better sound, smaller soundstage).
    But both the JBL's and the Bose fall short of many of the speakers I have owned since, including some old models.
    I picked up a set about 2 years ago, and ended up selling them again. Fun for some music, but certainly not
    a good all-rounder. If all I played was 70's rock, they could of stayed. And as you noted, it's very hard to
    get the EQ into the system on modern equipment. You would almost have to buy a 70's high power receiver
    just to run them.
    This is the long winded version- short- time makes the heart grow fonder.
    Reality is another story.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Bose are kinda like Klipsch---people tend to either love'm or hate'm. While I don't love the 901, and have owned much better speakers, i don't think they are anywhere near as "bad" as many claim. Having owned a series VI pair for nearly 14yrs straight (1988-2001) I found them very non-fatiquing, never great at anything---however good at most everything. I ran them with 2 Soundcraftsmen amps (bridged) for 600 watts/rms, a Yamaha C-85 pre, Yamaha CD-1100 CDP. I utilized a "record out" input on my pre for the EQ so I could run the eq line-level. I had some custom cables made to keep the runs short from the pre to the EQ.

I can understand the appeal.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,920
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I get where your coming from Steve, and frankly agree with your assessment, but....even for used prices of 901's there's about a hundred or so speakers out there than can give you the same " does nothing wrong, but doesn't excel at anything either" type of sound much cheaper.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Here's a (rare) recent review of the 901 VI, from ToneAudio. While I totally disagree with the reviewers placement of the speakers (8 feet out into the room???) his observations closely echo what I remember of them.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-review-the-bose-901/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited June 2013
    Options
    c_corie wrote: »
    I'm building a nice B&W CM8 setup, it's almost done. Still thought I love the idea of Bose 901 Series I or II, hell maybe even III. I used to own a pair of Teak? VI from the late 80s, those sounded pretty good.

My dad briefly owned some series III or IV, which had a MUCH brighter sound (he sent them back to Bose- they have a deal trading towards brand new 901s- we realized the surrounds were not fixed correctly and didn't want to try to re-fix them.)

Anyway point is, what is the "best 901" or even best Bose speaker. I owned Series III 201, and they were nice but lacked bass and depth.

Sadly no matter what "great" stereo I have, I will always have a soft spot for vintage Bose stuff. So any idea or suggestions are welcome.
    The Best 901s Bose ever made, were the Series II. I've owned every Series, and the Acoustic Suspension design of the originals and Series II are superior to any of the later ported designs. Properly setup, given plenty of clean power from a good amp with a high damping factor, and an Series II Equalizer rebuilt with high quality components, they'll knock your socks off. A true wall of sound, that will wrap around you. Some don't like the direct/reflecting effect, some do. Some don't like SDAs effect on music either, while others do.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • breystonfan
    breystonfan Posts: 15
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The classic bose speakers weren't all that bad. The new stuff however is overpriced junk!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I understand this fascination fairly well. And I'd say, just get a pair of 901s and get it out of or "into" your system. They were decent speakers in their time. I auditioned them a long while back when I was also looking at JBL L..t series. They held up when properly staged.

I also agree with mhardy about some BOSE getting the midrange right. Early 301s did OK there. I know what's it's like to have a hankering for a particular set of speakers. For me it was the JBL Studios back in the late 80s. I ended up buying a pair of L80ts which I still have. And I do still listen to them even though I've heard a lot more since then. L100ts and L80ts are not for everyone. And lots of people have that same love/hate with this manufacturer as well. Even though I probably wouldn't buy any new JBLs, listening to the Lts takes me back to another time and place and the music I used to listen to, that I still play now and then.

So, yeah, why not?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I am and have always been tempted to buy a pair of Series VI with matching equalizer. One of these days I probably will.

I have enough good power with my Belles 350a and a room that pretty much fits what the 901's like. After listening I may call out to Chicago and speak with Brent Jessee and get some tubes for my Anthem PRE2L that may increase the sound quality on the high end of things. Then who knows what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter what anyone says the 901's are cool and Bose is a damn good company.

On another note a friend of mine has a pair of 901's maybe series V's. They are not even set up correctly LMAO
    He made a comment to me about the sound of my system/speakers. I am laughing right now typing this since what he said was so so stupid. He said "I don't like the sound of your speakers" and I ask what he means by that and he said I just don't like the sound.

Who cares but what the F do some people know.

You should jus buy a nice pair or borrow a pair from a local polkie or take a trip to beautiful Arizona.
  • westmassguy
    edited June 2013
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    I am and have always been tempted to buy a pair of Series VI with matching equalizer. One of these days I probably will.

I have enough good power with my Belles 350a and a room that pretty much fits what the 901's like. After listening I may call out to Chicago and speak with Brent Jessee and get some tubes for my Anthem PRE2L that may increase the sound quality on the high end of things. Then who knows what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter what anyone says the 901's are cool and Bose is a damn good company.

On another note a friend of mine has a pair of 901's maybe series V's. They are not even set up correctly LMAO
    He made a comment to me about the sound of my system/speakers. I am laughing right now typing this since what he said was so so stupid. He said "I don't like the sound of your speakers" and I ask what he means by that and he said I just don't like the sound.

Who cares but what the F do some people know.

You should jus buy a nice pair or borrow a pair from a local polkie or take a trip to beautiful Arizona.
    NJPOLKER, those would not be my first choice. The build quality decreased after Series IV. If you want the best of the best, sound-wise, and looks-wise, the Series II Continentals are the ones you want. With the proper Equalizer Upgrades, even Bose haters have to eat their words. I've witnessed it myself.

Continental 1.jpg
    Continental 2.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I see you have a pair, is that correct?

Maybe I'll have to take a ride to Feeding Hills one day.
  • westmassguy
    edited June 2013
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    I see you have a pair, is that correct?

Maybe I'll have to take a ride to Feeding Hills one day.
    Yes, I have a pair of fully restored Series II Continentals, and a Rebuilt Equalizer with Sonicap and Elna Silmic II Capacitors.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/