Monitor 60 Tweeter blown

sandstorm810
sandstorm810 Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Troubleshooting
Hello everyone, first time posting here.

I've had a pair of Polk Monitor 60's that I bought secondhand (so there's no warranty) about a year ago. I just recently realized that one of the tweeters doesn't work anymore. My question is this: could hooking this amp:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PQA3100/19-Rack-Mount-3100-Watts-Professional-Power-Amplifier

have cause the tweeter to be wrecked? Normally the Monitors are hooked up to my HK 3490. This is a higher wattage amp so maybe that's what did it?

Additionally, what's the model number for the replacement tweeter I should be looking for?

Thanks a lot!
Post edited by sandstorm810 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited May 2013
    3100 watts that's really 380 wpc @ 8 ohms......cracks me up. Why do you guys keep falling for the cheap "high" watt pro amps?

Take the tweeter that doesn't work, put it in the other speaker. If it works the tweeter is good and the problem is likely a cooked resistor on the crossover. If it doesn't work, you need a new tweeter. CALL Polk on Monday to order one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sandstorm810
    edited May 2013
    Yeah... it wasn't my fault... it was my roommate being an idiot.

I'll try switching the tweeter and see what happens as soon as I can.
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited May 2013
    RD0088-1 is the same tweeter used in all recent Polk Monitor speakers going back over 10 years. The only difference is the face plate. Polk customer service will hook you with the right one. Tell your friend he owes you $40.
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • custopper30
    custopper30 Posts: 252
    edited June 2013
    ^ +1 get some money out from your friends
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited June 2013
    Welcome Sandstorm,

As stated, high powered pro amps and sticky fingers on the volume dial is the fasted an surest way to toast speakers. Call Polk C.S., they are top notch and will have a tweet out to you. Your friend...he owes you. If he doesn't cough it up, then he's no friend.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sandstorm810
    edited June 2013
    I found out it was indeed the tweeter that is blown, not the crossover.
    Polk is shipping one out to me.
    Thank you everyone.
  • Yeah... it wasn't my fault... it was my roommate being an idiot.

I'll try switching the tweeter and see what happens as soon as I can.

Being a 71 year old Grandpa.....just breaking...in to the audiophile world....I have 2 bad tweeters on my Monitor 60 speakers..... Do I need a special tool to replace them..? ?. ....Are there videos available ? ? ?
  • Hello,
    Should be fairly simple, two screws and two wires with clips that pull to remove.