Monitor 10 Rebuild with "TL" Mod

Options
westmassguy
westmassguy Posts: 6,850
edited August 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This project was a lot of work, but a lot of fun as well. In addition to the Crossover rebuild and modification, the cabinet was re-worked as well. Clarity ESAs were chosen for the Hi-Pass, Mills Resistors, Dayton 5% for the Lo-Pass, and Jantzen Inductors for the "TL" modification. I like using the Daytons for the Lo-Pass shunts for several reasons. Their quality is consistant, and they're relatively small compared to the Clarity PX or SA caps some others may prefer, and in my opinion, their sound is neutral when used in the shunt position. Changes required for the "TL" Mod included changing the Resistor in series with the Tweeter, and changing the Inductor located in the shunt. The resistor wasn't a problem, however the Inductor was a bit problematic. Jantzen had the exact value I needed, 0.27mh, but the DCR was slightly less than required. To compensate, I raised the value of the 2.7 ohm Resistor in series with the Inductor, to 3.0 ohms. This kept the overal resistance value of the shunt in line with the revised schematic, and would maintain the desired voicing of the new Tweeter. In addition to the other modifications, the Polyswitch was removed, and replaced with a 0.5 ohm resistor. All Resistors were relocated to the underside of the circuit board, to allow more room. A new supplimental riser board was fabricated and installed for the Clarity ESAs. New Nylon Stand-Offs were installed, and New Cardas Binding posts were added to complete the Crossover upgrade.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
Home Theater/2 Channel:
Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
1.JPG 409.2K
2.JPG 392.5K
3.JPG 365.3K
4.JPG 387.4K
5.JPG 375.9K
6.JPG 374K
Post edited by westmassguy on

Comments