Krell KSA-250

2»

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2013
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Next time I'm over there I'm gonna have to pop the cover on that Classe to make sure it's a Classe inside.:lol:
    Yeah,we might begin to see a new trend where by folks are velcroing GFA555 face plates to their Emo's for photo's posted on CP.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I failed English class. Thank goodness for spell check! Back to my Emotiva!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,470
    edited May 2013
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Yeah I failed English class. Thank goodness for spell check! Back to my Emotiva!

I need help with the classes you didn't fail.....the thermal stuff. I'm thinking of water cooling the KSA!:eek::twisted::lol: More push lock fittings in the wall, small car radiator and water pump in the basement. I need help with friction loss from wall shear stress caused by turbulent flow in walled tubing.

I should have the room all set up this weekend. I'll use the more powerful Sanders amp to run the bass modules. (Now I need a another level on the amp stand!:lol:) Also made some decoupling stands for the speakers.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited May 2013
    I am officially offended. You guys were in Ohio and didn't come over. :frown:

I'm a decent host. Just ask Doug & Brock

He was, fantastic. And he owns a GTI too. Not bad at all.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    I look forward to hearing how this sounds compared to the sanders

I had my get together June 22. I didn’t want to influence anyone with my impressions prior to them hearing it. Some folks were running late so I only had 2 or 3 folks here for the amp compare and they shared my impressions after hearing both amps.

There is around a 100 WPC at 4 Ohm advantage to the Sanders and more important a gain difference between the two that created less than ideal circumstances for comparison. With the Krell, panels were a few dB softer and much more laid back compared to the bass amp. When I reduced the bass/mid bass active settings I could get a better balance but lows lacked in dynamics. To make it work I would have to boost the treble relative to the bass. If it were the other way, I could attenuate a hot panel amp down.

In an attempt to make it work prior to the meet, I tried a Behringer DCX2496 UltraDrive Pro digital active crossover. With that I could really get aggressive with slope, 48dB / octave compared to my 24dB / octave analog and also lower the xover point. I could also boost the panel amp independent of the bass amp. That worked great to balance the amps but unfortunately the Behringer introduced a low level hum from the panels that I could not eliminate. I had a dead quiet system before that was really annoying.

I would also get distortion at above 90dB listening levels with the Behringer and I was no where close to clipping on the input or output based on the UltraDrive’s front panel LED’s. Now I don’t listen at those levels all the time but will not be denied it if I choose to and without any distortion.

So in my case with the InnerSound MK II active bass amp, the Sanders amp works out better than the Krell on the panels. I don’t even want to think of having two KSA-250’s in the same room but it would be interesting to try one connected to the active low pass outputs.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2013
    Well it seems like I need to start putting one of sanders on the horizon as the claims about his amps being good for panels are founded
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,584
    edited June 2013
    I don’t even want to think of having two KSA-250’s in the same room but it would be interesting to try one connected to the active low pass outputs.

Rich, you do that and you wont need to ever use your heater in winter. Heck just put your water heater on it and you wont need to heat your water to keep it hot either...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,371
    edited June 2013
    Well it seems like I need to start putting one of sanders on the horizon as the claims about his amps being good for panels are founded
    You need to put a pair of my tube amps on your list as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    You need to put a pair of my tube amps on your list as well.

Will you take a kidney as payment John? I got two but only need one :biggrin:......

And you wanna do a 9 channel set of amps for me for my HT in the house when we buy it :mrgreen:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013

I've tried quite a few amps on the panels and the InnerSound ESL MK II and Sanders amps have been the best so far. The difference between them are the Sanders uses larger toroidals with improved transistors. The Sanders has worked well with some conventional speakers too, some not. Roger has a 30 day free trial. His amp was one of the few audio things I ever bought new. He took some gear in on trade; it was priced at $3K then.

Rich, you do that and you wont need to ever use your heater in winter. Heck just put your water heater on it and you wont need to heat your water to keep it hot either...

Crazy as it sounds, I had a moment where I thought of water cooling the Krell if I kept it. Large aluminum water blocks bolted to the sides. A little math for water flow, a radiator with cooling fan and water pump in basement, plumbing through wall.:eek:
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,371
    edited June 2013
    Are you selling the Krell?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Crazy as it sounds, I had a moment where I thought of water cooling the Krell if I kept it. Large aluminum water blocks bolted to the sides. A little math for water flow, a radiator with cooling fan and water pump in basement, plumbing through wall.:eek:

Not Crazy, being a PC guy watercooling is something I am intimately familiar with :biggrin:. You coulda then taken that hot water and used it for "radiant" heat in the rest of your house on the floors.....

That would be crazy right there :smile:
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Not Crazy, being a PC guy watercooling is something I am intimately familiar with :biggrin:.

About 10 years ago I was heavily involved in on line gaming, over-volting, overclocking and water cooling PC's.

Are you selling the Krell?

That is on hold right now; it is a kick **** amp and I may keep it. I also have some interest locally but need to get it over to the guys house so he can try it. If it were for sale and needed to be shipped, I'd have to build a wood box for it and attach it to a skid for freight shipping. I have the original box but the internal packing shell was missing.

IIRC Ed Savinon has another stereo KSA-250 for sale.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2013
    I love that KSA-250! A nice preamp and the Krell will knock the wind out of your chest. Talk about dynamics!
    Carl