Krell KSA-250

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,470
edited June 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I drove to Ohio Saturday to hook up with Carl and pick this hot running beast up; a Krell KSA-250. Thanks for getting it closer Carl! As always great hooking up with you! The KSA-250 is a Class A amp, 144 pounds, 250 WPC @ 4 Ohm, doubles to 500 at 4 Ohm, stable to 1 Ohm at 2000 WPC.

This actually reunites an old combo Carl is very familiar with. His long time friend Dipole Dan had the KSL pre amp I have now with this KSA-250 running some big Carver Amazings. This is one of the many Krell amps Ed Savinon owns. IIRC he actually has a pair of these converted to mono blocks! Sick!:eek::twisted::cheesygrin:

I got it out of the trunk myself and stuck it on a hand truck to get it into the house. Popped the hood, everything looks good in there. I had it good before, but this amp makes it even better. Tighter and righter. It is the panel amp; a 600WPC @ 4 Ohm active crossover bass amp runs the bass modules and tells the Krell what to do.

Starting to look like an old Krell dealer here. The KRC-HR is Ed's too. The KSL was, but I bought it and recapped it.

Last week I prepared for today. My two channel circuit is close to the breaker box so I pulled a couple more 12 gauge wires through the pipe for a second 20 amp circuit just for the amp.
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited May 2013
    I look forward to hearing how this sounds compared to the sanders
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,423
    edited May 2013
    Rightous amp!

Rich, you've got to get that plant out from in front of your speaker. :razz:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited May 2013
    wow, that is a monster! I hope you have good air conditioner in your house!
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    edited May 2013
    When are you going to get serious about this hobby, Rich? :twisted:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2013
    Thats a monster.Looks like kitty is checking the suitability for a new well heated sleeping space.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2013
    Looking good Rich! It's always good to see you in the flesh LOL!

Did we win the lotto? If so, we'll wipe our butts with Krell equipment! LOL!

Please note that amp is twice as deep as most other components in a 19" rack. You need a dedicated amp stand, separate from your rack. And, a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Make sure you like it Richee! I might have to get one myself when I reorganize my system rack. Love the sound of that amp. A Krell KSA-250 would make a pair of swimming pool speakers sound good!
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited May 2013
    Rich, you're going to burn your ankle every time you flip the vinyl LOL!
    Carl

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013
    Krell amps are phenominal amps power and build wise. I find them to be a little too analytical for my taste though from a sound point of view. Extrememly tight bass, and you can hear EVERYTHING in the recording to the nth degree. Just not too much "musicality", IMO though. Still, a phenominal amp in many ways Rich. Don't get me worng, I am not bashing your amp, Krell's are just not my taste. Please let us know what you think sir after doing some listening.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Poolgod69
    Poolgod69 Posts: 184
    edited May 2013
    Awesome amp!!
    Marantz SR 5010
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Elemental Designs A2-300 Subwoofer
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up :rolleyes:
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited May 2013
    I am still working on the visual for "I got it out of the trunk myself"
    Nice addition. Let us know how it compares to your Sanders.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited May 2013
    headrott wrote: »
    Krell amps are phenominal amps power and build wise. I find them to be a little too analytical for my taste though from a sound point of view. Extrememly tight bass, and you can hear EVERYTHING in the recording to the nth degree. Just not too much "musicality", IMO though. Still, a phenominal amp in many ways Rich. Don't get me worng, I am not bashing your amp, Krell's are just not my taste. Please let us know what you think sir after doing some listening.

Combine it with a tube pre. I have a KAV-2250 amp and it's fantastic with my Dared MC-7P.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited May 2013
    .That baby is beautiful Rich, unleash the power of the Krell!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,321
    edited May 2013
    I'm definitly stopping by next time through.....I just hope you're NOT home:loneranger:
  • amgala
    amgala Posts: 111
    edited May 2013
    Holy hell! Time to add some supports to the subfloor underneath your equipment :cheesygrin:
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC
    Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
    Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
    AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2013
    Rich! Good seeing you got the beast inside, just don't let Jasper sit on it or he might get a little of a hot behind!

Or you might just get a nice kitty kiss from him :cheesygrin:

Can't wait to hear your impressions on the amp!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2013
    Congrats on a mega amp! However, I'd be interesting also to hear how it compares to your Sanders.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited May 2013
    Congrats, nice looking beast! I can tell you from experience Class A amps are not much fun in the Summer time :twisted:. Crank the A/C

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2013
    Congrats--have fun,,,,and I thought I was a power pig! :eek:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    edited May 2013
    Nice looking beast!
  • schwarcw
    edited May 2013
    headrott wrote: »
    I find them to be a little too analytical for my taste though from a sound point of view. Extrememly tight bass, and you can hear EVERYTHING in the recording to the nth degree. Just not too much "musicality", IMO though.

In some cases this is true, however I haven't heard a KSA series sound like you are describing. If anything, they can be a tad warm.
    Carl

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    edited May 2013
    He hasnt responded in a bit. Must be recovering from the hernia!

Nice pickup on an amazing amp
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    schwarcw wrote: »
    In some cases this is true, however I haven't heard a KSA series sound like you are describing. If anything, they can be a tad warm.

tad warm....I'll say! 77C/172F on the sinks measured with a Fluke 52 II.:eek: +1 to dat, no strident here, at all, IMO.

Jasper got close to it when all warmed up and figured out it was too hot to get on.

Carl don’t forget I do have a sturdy amp stand I can turn 90 degrees that just happens to fit the monster. (Somehow I just knew this day would happen).:biggrin: My active/bass amp would fry if placed above it and restrict cooling. I am still in winter setup as the 5 foot tall Jasmine plant doesn’t go outside until after Memorial Day. We have to get rid of it anyway as the wife has become allergic to all perfumes. The jungle plant can go in the empty corner than, and my rack to the south wall. The hanging branch is Jasper’s work; he pulled it down. The sneaky bastage likes to connect to his wild side by laying under it and blasting out through the leaves to startle his owners at night.

I’m looking at having the RAS guys over June 22. Mainly a music meet, but I will swap the Sanders back in for a comparison. They can tell you if I went the wrong way, too far, etc. I've been all tube, all SS, partial tube/SS and now back to all SS with my DIY DAC.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    erniejade wrote: »
    He hasnt responded in a bit. Must be recovering from the hernia!

Nice pickup on an amazing amp

Thanks! I've been meshed on both sides already about 15 years ago; a year apart for each side.:biggrin:
  • schwarcw
    edited May 2013
    I've picked up that up with a friend of mine. Moved it about 30 ft and sat it down. It's one heavy sum ****!

Rich, you could buy a new amp these days that would sound as good as that Krell without dropping 10 large!
    Carl

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,321
    edited May 2013
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I've picked up that up with a friend of mine. Moved it about 30 ft and sat it down. It's one heavy sum ****!

Rich, you could buy a new amp these days that would sound as good as that Krell without dropping 10 large!

let me guess Emotiva...coming out of the closet Carl:razz:
  • Ricardo...again
    Ricardo...again Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    I am officially offended. You guys were in Ohio and didn't come over. :frown:

I'm a decent host. Just ask Doug & Brock
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2013

We thought you got deported, Ricardo :lol::twisted:
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013

We're bad.....If I had stopped I'd be spending the night.

Deported...lol
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited May 2013
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    let me guess emotiva...coming out of the closet carl:razz:
    lol.
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2013
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    let me guess Emotiva...coming out of the closet Carl:razz:
    FTGV wrote: »
    lol.

Next time I'm over there I'm gonna have to pop the cover on that Classe to make sure it's a Classe inside.:lol:

Fairly sure Carl meant to say couldn't buy a new amp these days that would sound as good as that Krell without dropping 10 large! I'm all in for that and don't have 10 large for an amp.