Pass Labs X600.5 Monoblock Power Amplifiers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have not heard the Focals, but I have heard the LSiM 707 and the B&W 802. I didn't hear anything during either audition that would make me want to replace my modified 1.2TLs.

I auditioned B&W 800Ds, Nola Baby Grand References, and Wilson Maxx 3s and decided to stick with my SDA SRS1.2s, which have not even been TL'd -- leave aside all the additional mod's that DK has done on his TLs. They perhaps delivered better sound quality in their sweet spots, but they did not fill the room as the SDA SRSs do.

I also auditioned Nola Grand References (four huge towers), now selling for $300K, and Wilson Alexandrias, both of which would have brought a major SQ improvement; however, aside from their prohibitive prices, I wouldn't have a place to put them!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ALSATIAN in USA
    ALSATIAN in USA Posts: 127
    edited April 2014
    Options
    That's a very good news to me the SRS sound better than 707, 800, 802 and Wilson in your ears because I have one pair SRS early model paid $500 at a pawn shop Oklahoma city 7-8 years ago!... I need to rebuilt my X-over because tweeters are too loud about 5-6db and sda drivers (now hear percing sometimes) by 3db (stereo drivers are good), but I bi-amp them with a EV P1200 and EV P1202 wired to a SHERWOOD P965..... The EV power amp sound better than CARVER PM700, PM1400, and NAD 2400thx. I believe I go to keep my SRS all my life now!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited April 2014
    Options
    part of the problem you are having may be caused by bi-amping the early ones.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ALSATIAN in USA
    edited April 2014
    Options
    SRS sound "bigger" than MAXX-3!!!!!!!!!!!... Super! I use my SRS for home theater and yes, they sound HUGE!... In the future, and after X-over mod, i'll go to fit that (or similar) http://www.parts-express.com/aurum-cantus-ast2560-aero-striction-tweeter--276-440
  • ALSATIAN in USA
    edited April 2014
    Options
    NOPE!..It's when I use only one amp the tweeter are too loud, I bi-amp them now and tame the hi-frequency by 6db.... btw, I also used a DCX2496 digital X-over! big mistake! the processor in the DCX is not enough sensitive and don't take all low level (in the restaurant scene of Sherlock-Holmes, the "ambiance", dish, fork,spoon, dialogue noise was "erased" by 20-25%.... In some rain (water drop) scene also!....Just my $0.02
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I put the one-year follow up report in its own tread to make it easier to find.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Get your ear on the Alexia if you can. I'd be interested in how you think they compare to the Alexandria.

I had to make an appointment with a dealer in Manhattan to audition the Maxx 3s a couple of years ago, and my wife, daughter and I listened to the Alexandrias after spending an hour or so with the Maxx 3s. I'd love to hear the Alexias, but doubt I'll go to the trouble to do it unless something dramatic happens in my listening life!

If I do, I'll post impressions.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.