Welcome Usher CP-777 Diamond

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
edited April 2013 in Speakers
organ wrote: »
Helen,
Time to buy some lotto tickets before you make anymore posts. Your post count is 777:wink:.
DSkip wrote: »
I like how your post in this thread is #777

Well, the babies are now in. Funny how using the iPad for so long, I had no idea what my post count was! It was a sure fire good sign of what was in the process of coming. I actually purchased the Usher CP-777 a few days prior to my 777th post.

Went up to work today and saw that FedEx was delivering today, ran home to work remotely. What made this even better? I was not charged any tariffs to import these babies. Here are some pics taken by the iPad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    edited March 2013
    Options
    when's the get together?:lol: would be nice to hear them at LSAF.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited March 2013
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    when's the get together?

Probably after his hernia operation

Sweet my brotha'....see u in 6 weeks
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I heard these were on a boat....

He had to get them upstairs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2013
    Options
    When you decide to sell it!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    edited March 2013
    Options
    When you buying a third for a center channel?

Forget that, how about when are the 705's going up for sale lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Just WOW! ...and... enjoy!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I still enjoy the 705's a lot, and will keep them with the 706's for home theater duty. I planned on having the Usher's in a dedicated 2 channel audio room, there will be slight changes.

Right now, I am breaking in the speakers and really like the sound. The tweeters are not harsh or too forward, which is the sound I prefer. Overall, from top to bottom it is a solid performer. Currently, my Kimber 8TC's are connecting the speakers to a B&K amp. I will swap out the cables to try out the Usher Cables.

Originally I planned on bringing these to LSAF, but after carrying these speakers I highly doubt it will happen.

Halen
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    edited March 2013
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »
    I still enjoy the 705's a lot, and will keep them with the 706's for home theater duty. I planned on having the Usher's in a dedicated 2 channel audio room, there will be slight changes.

Right now, I am breaking in the speakers and really like the sound. The tweeters are not harsh or too forward, which is the sound I prefer. Overall, from top to bottom it is a solid performer. Currently, my Kimber 8TC's are connecting the speakers to a B&K amp. I will swap out the cables to try out the Usher Cables.

Originally I planned on bringing these to LSAF, but after carrying these speakers I highly doubt it will happen.

Halen

Would love to know your thoughts on the Kimbers v the other stuff you've run. I am looking at 8VS for my RTA's paired with PBJ IC's throughout my 2 channel system.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ok halen, you've had enough time to play with the new speakers, how about a mini review.:lol:
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ok halen, you've had enough time to play with the new speakers, how about a mini review.:lol:

Marvin,

I have spent several hours a day listening and breaking in the speakers. I honestly could say that I am hearing or noticing much more details in music when compared to the LSIM's. I tried several movies with the Usher's in two channel only mode, I am impressed. I watched the latest batman movie with no sub, and could also honestly say that it exceeds my complete home theater setup with the LSIM's. The details, airiness, soundstage and amazing bass.

For music. This is where my heart was broken. 100% of Asian recorded music is unlistenable. Very scratchy, chalk board screeching highs, thanks to the revealing diamond tweeters. The LSIM's treated the Asian music wonderfully. I need to get my learn on to open a recording studio for the Asian market. Cha Ching!!

I put in Rita Wilson's cd and listened to Dream, ah, the sweet sound of good recording came all back. I also played The Phantom of the Opera CD and enjoyed every second of it. Along with my purchase, I received 4 new Audiophile CD's, two from Usher and two from Hong Kong audio shows. The music selection in all of the CD's were very good. I was able to test the music varieties from vocals, to instruments to soundstage.

Please do not ask what DAC or CD player I am using, because I am trying to avoid or For Sale area of the forum. I have peeked a few times and left in disgust with the quality items at extremely good prices. I am yearning for a nice tube amp, like always. But again, I am now thirsting for offerings from Odyssey and BAT. Hell, since I am spilling my guts, I am thirsting for a DAC too. Hell again, I stared long and hard at the Tyler Linbrooks in the sale area the other day too. For a second, I foreplayed with the thought of replacing the LSIM with the Tyler's as I have not listened to them yet. Truth is, the polks are my babies and serves the home theater very well.

Back to the Usher's. Once I get some things worked out, I will place them back into the two channel room. I originally wanted three kids but with the new speakers, I think I will have only two. Because the speakers will have a permanent place in a bedroom! Hahaha, kidding.

One day, I will have get together with you guys and become the reviewers. Once again, the speakers exceeded what I felt with B&W diamond speakers, Focal Profile line (no experience with the Utopias) and many Kefs. It is a personal experience, one that I am willing to openly share.

Details, details, details.... There, that should sum it up.

Halen.

P.S. I am now passed my domestic appertizer beers of six, now moving on to Stella's and Boddington's.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Cool stands.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Those 777's are very rare, and cool, speakers. :cool:

It is my understanding that Usher never imported the 777's to dealers in the US, so any pairs that are here were originally purchased outside the US and then shipped here.

There was a pair for sale on audiogon about 2 years ago... I almost bought them. They were and older version with the original tweeter they used before the BE.

Congrats, I bet they sound great!

As far as your DAC goes... if you are going to use a digital source, you HAVE to have a high quality DAC. Period. Do not skimp here! With a great DAC, you will appreciate the added detail of the Ushers; with a low-quality DAC, you will resent their unforgiving nature.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • marvda1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    the reason the cp 777's were never imported into the us was because of the price. they were very expensive that it made more sense to buy one of the larger floorstanders. the reason they were so expensive was because they were true d'appolito configuration.
    not all mtm designs are d'appolito. d'appolito requires the mid/bass drivers to be almost identical in specs and also the crossover parts to have tight spec requirements. if one thing is off you will hear it. if you have to replace a mid/bass driver you have to send the good one in to find a match or get two new ones thus the cost.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    halen, what are you using for jumpers on the cp 777's? i hadn't thought about it in the past but last night i put other jumpers that i had on hand on the mini dancer 2. less bass smaller(lower) vocal placement and while the sound was faster it seemed like the notes would run together as in traffic jam. put the other set back in and good sound again. i've just got the Be tweeters i can imagine how revealing the diamond tweeters are.
    Puritan PSM156
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Marvin,

I am using the standard jumpers that came with them. I have been looking at DAC's and tube amps the past several days. I kind of regret not picking up the Raysonic SP-66 tube amp last year, maybe something else will come catch my attention. Am in desperate need of a quality DAC first, then amp. I have become a CD freak as of late, but have also been collecting lossless/DSD music. DSD is pretty damn impressive quality. What to do, what to get.

The Pio SC is just not doing anything for me, from music to HT. Once upon a time it did. I will probably end up using the Pio receiver for the garage in the very near future. I hate this upgrade bug.

Please keep an eye out for a DAC or tube amp for me as well.

Now if I could coerce Skip to come down with his CD player and do a special acoustic panel delivery! Hahaha

Halen
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Skip,

I am guessing that am Oppo could be directly connected to an amp? Serves music, movies and stream content? Say, MKV containers?

If so, I need to find someone willing to trade one for my SC receiver, else, time to be a hawk on the gon.
  • marvda1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    if someone:rolleyes:were to have a get together this weekend i could bring my grant fidelity dac along with the transport so someone:rolleyes:could take a listen. the grant can also be used as a preamp.:cheesygrin:
    Puritan PSM156
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Great looking speakers; congrats!
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Very nice looking speakers.
    BTW, may be it's the pictures but the speakers appear much larger than the stands made for them.
    Hopefully, they won't tip over.

Also, what is the other black speaker?

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2013
    Options
    ....and you call yourself a Polkie :rolleyes:

Haha... I never had or listened to any of those LSI lines so didn't think they were Polks.
    So that's LSI705 or 707 then.
    My budget is not that high for Polks or any speaker so was not familiar on how they look. :redface:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The "black" speakers are midnight mahogany LSIM 705's. I will always have a Polk product at my place.

The stands for the Usher's are adjustable, what you see is the compacted height. The stands serve its purpose very well. On a side note, the speakers are huge!

I have been reading up on the amp thread on this site, and the Pass Lab's are amazing. Had the chance to hear a couple of them at LSAF last year.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    edited April 2013
    Options
    the reason the cp 777's were never imported into the us was because of the price. they were very expensive that it made more sense to buy one of the larger floorstanders. the reason they were so expensive was because they were true d'appolito configuration.
    not all mtm designs are d'appolito. d'appolito requires the mid/bass drivers to be almost identical in specs and also the crossover parts to have tight spec requirements. if one thing is off you will hear it. if you have to replace a mid/bass driver you have to send the good one in to find a match or get two new ones thus the cost.

Interesting, no offense to Polk but is this what they did, or tried, to do with the RTA tower line-up? Just wondering since these Polks were touted as having this design.

Awesome looking Ushers BTW...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The past week or so I got my hands on a vintage Marantz stereo integrated. First impressions were amazing! I could not believe the sound that was coming from the speakers, powered by the Marantz. The details of the music had so much more depth to it.

I spent a good amount of time listening to Kelly Sweet sing Je T'aime, Phantom of the Opera, and Natalie Merchant's Ophelia.

Vintage equipment certainly has sparked my interest.

Halen
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013
    Options
    As far as your DAC goes... if you are going to use a digital source, you HAVE to have a high quality DAC. Period. Do not skimp here! With a great DAC, you will appreciate the added detail of the Ushers; with a low-quality DAC, you will resent their unforgiving nature.

I can't wait until you sell yours! Haha

Halen
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    edited April 2013
    Options
    wow.. they are really cool. A review would be nice if you can do as time permits.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Monster speakers you have there, they look like they would result in fatality if you had a cat or small dog running round
  • marvda1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    review my foot, i'm waiting on an invite:cheesygrin:
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Halen, i could get some ice cold miller lites this weekend:cheesygrin:
    Puritan PSM156
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Halen, i could get some ice cold miller lites this weekend:cheesygrin:

Miller is my sober up drink!! Hehehe