My solution to clicking and popping sound coming from all speakers!!

Options
nme medic
nme medic Posts: 98
edited April 2013 in Troubleshooting
I recently purchased a Pair of LSi15's and an Emotiva UPA-200 to push them. Because I added something new to my A/V tower I decided to reorganize my wires and cords also to clean everything behind the tower. Well once I got everything hooked up I put on some music and things were working great. About a week after I put in The Dark Knight Rises and right at the beginning I started to to get loud popping and clicking coming from all speakers. I turned it down and checked the receiver to make sure everything was connected right. Than went back to the movie about an 1hr in same popping and clicking. Well at this point I thought it was a speaker wire since I moved stuff around something may have come loose. I re-striped all the wires and made sure no little strays were coming out did the same on the speaker side. This did not work and for the last 2 weeks I have been going through every solution I could think of. I was sure it was not the speakers because it was coming from all of them but I started to think it was the receiver. Than it hit me I was just staring at my A/V tower trying to think what the hell it could be and I relized I moved the damn surge protector right under the last rack in the tower. That is where the receiver sits. lo and behold the solution to my problem was interference from the surge because it was to close to the receiver. The A/V tower shelves are glass so it does not block anything. Since moving the surge protector no popping or clicking. Thank god because I really did not want to send anything in for repairs. I understand this my be something that gets talked about a lot but I just wanted to post my solution just in case someone is having the same problem.
F:L/R LSi 15
Cen: LSiC
Sur: LSi FX
SurBack: LSi 9's
Sub: Modded PSW1000
Sony STR-DA4400ES
Emotiva UPA-200 W/Black Trim
Emotiva XPA-3 W/Black Trim
Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
Plasma TV Wall Unit SKU: SH-CAESAR-WU
Post edited by nme medic on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,964
    edited March 2013
    Options
    What is the brand and model of your surge protector?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited March 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    +1. I too am curious. I have owned a number of different surge protection/line conditioning products over the years, had them located above, below, and side-by-side with other gear, and never encountered such a problem.
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    That is strange, but since I've been reading posts here, I've read about a lot of strange occurances. Can't think of any reason that a surge protector would emit that kind of noise, especially if it is also a conditioner. I think at the very least, I would check the socket where the surge protecter is plugged in at. Seen a number of times where the plug,and light switches are going bad, and caused problems like this. Just a suggestion. I would probably go as far as replacing the recipticle, just to be safe.
  • nme medic
    edited March 2013
    Options
    IMG_1925[1].jpg
    Cheep Belkin BP112230-08. I have been looking for something better like a power conditioner but I am new to stuff like that still need to do my homework when it comes to powering/protecting my gear. It has been over 5 days and no problems since moving the surge P. Just watched Expendables 2 on Blu and not one pop.
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
  • nme medic
    edited March 2013
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    That is strange, but since I've been reading posts here, I've read about a lot of strange occurances. Can't think of any reason that a surge protector would emit that kind of noise, especially if it is also a conditioner. I think at the very least, I would check the socket where the surge protecter is plugged in at. Seen a number of times where the plug,and light switches are going bad, and caused problems like this. Just a suggestion. I would probably go as far as replacing the recipticle, just to be safe.

you are probably right I have been wanting to improve a lot of things in this old 1990 house. The reason I don't is because I am renting and am leaving to FL in a few months. The newer house I am looking at will have a whole house surge solution and should have better outlets all around. When I get there I will be investing in a power conditioner.
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Trust me on this one. Builders and contractors really cut costs on electrical recepticle, switches, and HVAC. They also like to go to the minimum on wire. Take $10 dollars and change the recepticle(s) you'll be using for you electronics, and change the recepticle right away. Big difference between the $1 one and $10 one.
  • nme medic
    edited March 2013
    Options
    *Cheap* not cheep. My bad doing all this from my phone
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Cheep Belkin BP112230-08.

The only stuff inside one of those are MOV's and they wouldn't cause the issue you described. Perhaps the AVR plug wasn't making solid contact as I can see a number of the plugs in your picture are not in all the way.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nme medic
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The only stuff inside one of those are MOV's and they wouldn't cause the issue you described. Perhaps the AVR plug wasn't making solid contact as I can see a number of the plugs in your picture are not in all the way.

Can't believe that was right in front of me and I missed it. That makes more sense. Thanks! Any recommendations as to what I should be using?
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma
  • amgala
    amgala Posts: 111
    edited March 2013
    Options
    This is what I use for my A/V equipment:

TRIPP LITE SMART1500LCDT

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=5325

Not cheap, but I'd rather have more protection than less considering the cost of all of the attached equipment.
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC
    Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
    Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
    AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
  • Blindsay
    Blindsay Posts: 58
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I thought about a UPS but I didn't want to deal with worrying about going over its rated power so I went with this instead

http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/MR4300.php
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    nme medic wrote: »
    Can't believe that was right in front of me and I missed it. That makes more sense. Thanks! Any recommendations as to what I should be using?

PS Audio, Shunyata and SurgeX all make excellent units.

President of Club Polk

• nme medic
    edited April 2013
    Options
    PS Audio, Shunyata and SurgeX all make excellent units.

I got the SurgeX SA966. One of the Cheaper ones they sell. I have to save up a little longer to get something better than this they are expensive. Well at least its better than the Belkin.
    SurgeX SA966.jpg
    Sony STR-DA4400ES
    Samsung PN58A650 Plasma