Bryston BDP1 Digital File Player - number 2

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited May 2013 in Going Digital
I just unboxed and hooked up my new BDP1 to my two channel system, and moved the first BDP1 into the HT system. Now I can enjoy music in either room. For the HT system I had to buy a BNC to RCA cable since Bryston only provides two digital outputs; an AES balanced, and a BNC. That is my one complaint I have with this player. RCA SPDIF is by far the most common connection, but it is not supported. To add insult to injury, the Bryston BDA1 DAC has two RCA inputs! But, what the heck, everything is working fine now. I just need to find some other use for my MIT digital cable.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Post edited by BlueFox on

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2013
    BlueFox wrote: »
    That is my one complaint I have with this player. RCA SPDIF is by far the most common connection, but it is not supported.....I just need to find some other use for my MIT digital cable.
    Thats likely because BNC unlike RCA is a true 75 ohm connector as called for in the SPDIF spec.An impedance mismatch can cause reflections in the cable thus increased jitter.As for the MIT cable you could have also purchaed a simple RCA to BNC adaptor at your local rat shack.

I wish I had your audio budget.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2013
    FTGV wrote: »
    Thats likely because BNC unlike RCA is a true 75 ohm connector as called for in the SPDIF spec.An impedance mismatch can cause reflections in the cable thus increased jitter.

Starting to see more BNC connectors. Used to be you just saw it mostly on gear that stayed overseas.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • FTGV
    edited March 2013
    It would be nice to see it on every dac or digital source atleast as an option.
  • BlueFox
    edited March 2013
    FTGV wrote: »
    It would be nice to see it on every dac or digital source atleast as an option.

At least then there would be more cable options from the manufacturers. RCA to BNC cables aren't common. I had this issue 4-5 years ago when I wanted to use my Wadia iTransport and Benchmark DAC1 at work. The basic Benchmark only had a BNC input and the Wadia was RCA out. In that case I bought a cheapo custom made cable from Bluejeans, but this time I bought Bryston's cable.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited March 2013
    Ya gotta love our Canadian Gear..
    A friend if mine has a pr of a KEF 207/2 and running Bryston amps, he commented about the BDP1 he said Bryston should stick to what they know best Amps..
    He much prefers the JRiver system..
    That was his opinion, I would like to hear it though I've always liked Bryston, maybe it's in my budget, lol. Not..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • BlueFox
    edited March 2013
    Well, now that I listening to music again in the HT room, an old problem has resurfaced. While not apparent with classical, jazz is really causing the problem. The problem is I have a 57" CRT rear projection TV. It still works fine (1080i), so I can not rationalize replacing it. However, the top part is basically a 57" hollow plastic drum, and bass causes it to vibrate. Listening to music with the TV vibrating is not a pleasant experience, so I resurrected my old fix when I first encountered this issue. I have Home Depot adjustable shower curtain rods, two per side and three on top, wedged between the TV and walls/ceiling. This provides extra strength to the cabinet and greatly reduces the vibrations, but they do look like crap.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    edited March 2013
    Bnc is better than rca. Too bad it doesn't have I2S out.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • FTGV
    edited March 2013
    Humm,J River is a slick piece of software(I,m a user) but the BDP1 is a complete PC/software system optimized strictly for hi performance audio.I have read many glowing reports about it's sound quality.
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    Just a follow up on this digital file player. I absolutely love it. I have so many CDs ripped to the drive now it is impossible to play all of them in my lifetime. Since I started ripping files in Apple Lossless for my iPod/Wadia music server, I have continued using it. On a 500GB hard drive with hundreds of CDs, I still have 318GB left. Since the BDP1 has 4 USB inputs, I can not imagine ever needing more storage.

I recently upgraded my DAC to the Bryston BDA2, and that has taken this music server to a higher plane. It is amazing how well these two work together. Of course, using a Shunyata digital cable, and Shunyata power cords helps this gear reach its full potential.

I made a suggestion to Bryston to create a new product that combines the BDP1 and the BDA2 into a single chassis. Basically, it would be like a CD player, but capable of holding thousands of CDs, and also play high-res files. By being in one chassis I could save a couple thousand dollars by not having to buy a digital IC, and second power cord. Plus, it should cost a bit less than two standalone products. With a digital output then an external DAC could be added 4-5 years later if a better DAC is developed.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2013
    By being in one chassis I could save a couple thousand dollars by not having to buy a digital IC, and second power cord.

:eek: We must not shop in the same places...yikes.....like Rodeo Dr vs Baltic Ave :sad:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    :eek: We must not shop in the same places...yikes.....like Rodeo Dr vs Baltic Ave :sad:

The Cable Company. http://www.thecableco.com/

I made a decision a few years ago to get best I can afford at the time because once I retire there will be no more purchases. Of course, since I keep spending my retirement savings, I have to keep working to replace it. :eek:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited May 2013
    I am kinda starting to think la little along your lines Bluefox, I was pondering the idea of my next addition to the 2 ch rig but thought ' sh$t' I going to have to buy new cables that would cost as much as the component lol
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    PFB, I have become a true cable fanatic. Good cables, and clean power, will bring out so much musical information in gear that it is like a component upgrade. The BDA2 DAC was the first new piece of hardware I had bought in some time. Before I was just upgrading my cables and power, and being completely amazed at what I am hearing.

I have become a Bryston fan boy for digital, and a Shunyata fan boy for cables. I can not give either company enough praise for what they have done to my modest system.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited May 2013
    I have a 57" CRT rear projection TV. ..and bass causes it to vibrate. Listening to music with the TV vibrating is not a pleasant experience, so I resurrected my old fix when I first encountered this issue. I have Home Depot adjustable shower curtain rods, two per side and three on top, wedged between the TV and walls/ceiling. This provides extra strength to the cabinet and greatly reduces the vibrations, but they do look like crap.

Please post a pic of this fix! Sounds really ghetto. Gotta see it! :lol:
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Please post a pic of this fix! Sounds really ghetto. Gotta see it! :lol:

Here you go. Post 20.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?70026-Modifications-for-LSi15-s&highlight=Plastic+drum

The room looks better now. Not as much acoustic treatment, PSB Synchrony One towers now, better use of the audiophile acoustic vibration reduction rods, and a PSB Synchrony One center.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Phasewolf
    Phasewolf Posts: 514
    edited May 2013
    Open the TV up and clean the inside of the plastic shell and apply some damping material to it. No more rattle.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    Phasewolf wrote: »
    Open the TV up and clean the inside of the plastic shell and apply some damping material to it. No more rattle.

I have to open it up and install a IEC connector so I can replace the hard-wired AC cord with a Shunyata power cable. What is dampening material and where do I get it? I will be surprised if that stops the vibration, but I will try it.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited May 2013
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Starting to see more BNC connectors. Used to be you just saw it mostly on gear that stayed overseas.

Also on commercial gear
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    I have to open it up and install a IEC connector so I can replace the hard-wired AC cord with a Shunyata power cable. What is dampening material and where do I get it? I will be surprised if that stops the vibration, but I will try it.

Dynamat. It's design is to stop vibrations and dampen ringing. It also cuts down on external (road) noise when applied in vehicles.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited May 2013
    What are you using for usb cords to link them badboys up