acoustic dampening.....dynamat?

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, have a question about acoustic dampening....i.e. Dynamat. I have used Dynamat in the past in my old car to soften some trunk rattling. However never took the time to install it in my current car. I'm thinkin that with the addition of the new amp and speakers things may get louder, and more rattlin may occur. I found some good prices for Dynamat kits on ebay but have also seen other brands of dampening matieral. Anyone have any recommendations other then dynamat?

I play to install it in all four doors, on the rear deck around the 6x9's and line most of the trunk with it, including the lid. Any other places I should be lining?

Thanks,
-Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    get the whole car sprayed with rhino liner, bout the best way to dampen it... it can get a little pricy though

from what i've seen most dampening products are rather similar, and if you want to do the whole car i'd reccomend a spray on, i'd say avoid off brand names and stick to the dynamat's, tsunami's and fosgate's of the world
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • delvryboy
    delvryboy Posts: 62
    edited December 2003
    secondskin great product...great guy to deal with....he started that business on the forums...tel him you heard about it from me and he'll give a little discount to you;)

i have used...dynomat original and extreme...fatmat...brownbead..peal and seal....rammat...SS wil perform equally with the like...except the dynomat original...it far outperforms that
    Post ****

2003 MECA M2/MR2/DB1 IL State Record Holder/Champion

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • MrDHEJ
    MrDHEJ Posts: 137
    edited December 2003
    I went yesterday to get an estimate to rhino line the interior of my 1999 Chevy Silverado, the local dealer wanted $400 just do to the floor board. no back, no doors. I'm gonna call some other dealers today, if they can do just the floor and back for around $200 i'll do it. Otherwise i'll just use the peel and stick.

The doors i was going to do in peel n stick anyway.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    when i had the bed of my truck done, it was like $270ish, from Oil Trell, i dunno if you have one of those, but it has a lifetime warranty, and a hell of a lot cheaper than rhino, you could always go to wal-mart and get the do-it-yourself kind if you want...
    -Cody
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited December 2003
    I definitely second the SecondSkin suggestion.
    Dynamat - even at Ebay prices - is ludicrous.

SecondSkin is the same thing... the technology isn't extreme here.
    Dynamat enjoyed being the only aftermarket solution for many, many years.. a position that gives you the luxury of being able to control pricing.
    If you want to pay more... just be sure you know the reason for the price, and if it's justified to the need you have for it. ;)

I purchased a roll of the DampX, which is actually a thicker, heavier product than Dynamat original, and I got an obnoxiously large 100 sq.ft. roll (the roll weighs 30 pounds), for a low price... it was on sale for $100 if I remember right.

Contrast that to a small package of Dynamat original that I purchased at Circuit City, which was barely enough to do two doors, for $40.

There are some big savings that can be had, from small manufacturers who chose to market direct... the entire middle and end tiers of distribution and retail sales facilities are removed, and with it, their mark-ups. ;)

Besides, Anthony is a great guy, he's a member of a great many forums, and an active enthusiast, who founded his company to contribute... and it looks like he's having fun coming up with ways to have contests, givaways, and other promotions.;)
  • MrDHEJ
    MrDHEJ Posts: 137
    edited December 2003
    where did you get the DampX at?
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    delvryboy...do you use second skin?
    if so, what type do you use?
    i dont have any type of rattle reducing stuff in my truck, but am looking into it for the future...just wanted some info
    -Cody
  • delvryboy
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    delvryboy...do you use second skin?
    if so, what type do you use?
    i dont have any type of rattle reducing stuff in my truck, but am looking into it for the future...just wanted some info
    -Cody
    i use the original damplifier...i think ant has upgraded it ...and it runs the same price...he's a great guy...and his company is really taking off....with alot of new products on the horizen
    Post ****

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    i need a faster dialup, the website takes forever....
    but i have good news, theres not a local dealer in the area so i get 40% off...lol
    oo, and dont go to secondskin.com, its a **** site...lol...i was like wtf?
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    STFU 80, I love it :D kinda like the RFL (realy **** loud) from MTX, just a fun name :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • geolemon
    edited December 2003
    Ah, this is the first time I've seen the new website...
    Not too bad on dialup (god.. you been to www.respl.com? :rolleyes: ).

Second Skin's website: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/secondskin.html
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Cody,
    How did you find out about that 40% discount? The prices on secondskin's site are pretty high, but with a 40% discount they'd be great.

What products should I be using from their site just to provide dampening and to kill rattles?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    go to contact or whatever, give them your email, city, and zip, theyll tell ya if you have a local dealer, if you dont, you get 40% off, but truthfully, their prices arent high at all, go to crutchfield and look at what they sell dynamat for, talk about high...
    as far as what to use, it looks like just the dampifier(sp?), if you want better SQ, get the vinyl liner, or the other thing like vinyl liner, forgot what it was called, but its cheaper, does the same thing, just not as well...from what i can tell
    -Cody
  • delvryboy
    edited December 2003
    still missing the best part...regardless if there is a dealer near you...tell him you are from the forums and you automaticaly get the discount....he's not on club polk....but tell him you got the info from delvryboy from CarAudioForum....or register at CAF and pm him...secondskinrep is his SN
    Post ****

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Delvryboy,
    Thanks for the great info. I emailed him and he's going to give me 40% discount since there is no dealer near me, and because you sent me he is going to give me free shipping. I told me to email with the year make model of my car, system design, goals, and budget so he can put together a package for me!!! ANT f*cking rules dude.........I can't thank you and everyone else here enough for the great info I've received on this forum.

-Kevin
  • delvryboy
    edited December 2003
    glad to hear it!....now comes the tetious task of installing the deadner...thats what i consider the worst part of car audio...lol
    Post ****

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • geolemon
    edited December 2003
    He is a good guy!;)

Installing it is the worst..
    It's usually best to do a complete interior tear-out... seats, carpeting, door panels, side panels, even your roof if you are doing that.

I won't be doing any more of mine until spring...
    It's also a good idea to install it when it's warm out (and even still, using a heat gun), because not only will the adhesive stick better, but you'll be able to stretch the material to odd contours and the like. ;)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    i think ill wait til the summer then, we have 110* heat here, its like a built in heat gun...lol
    -Cody
  • geolemon
    edited December 2003
    Yeah...
    It's in the 20's here, and we're starting to get snow.. it'll be plenty white for Christmas this year, I'm sure.

So, even if I stuck a turbo-heater in my pathfinder for hours ahead of time, all that would do is make the inside of the truck toxic to breath, and even the heat gun would simply be a painful and ineffective venture given the cold temperatures.

If it were over...say... 70 degrees, I wouldn't give it a second thought. ;)
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    quesiton - a little off topic but...

is the walmart "do it yourself" rhino liner any good for the following ???

when i get my 88 back, i'm going to rip the seats out, rip out the interior, and find any rot holes in the floor -- jig saw them out, and then seal the holes with some "stop sign gauge" sheet metal, riveted down... then i want to rhino-liner the whole floor of the interior to keep it sealed and ****... and then pad and do commercial grade carpet over that... will the walmart (or whatever auto parts store) do it yourself brush on **** work for that?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    i know a guy who can tell you, ill ask him next chance i get
    pbd, did you know geolemon is from buffalo too?
    -Cody
  • geolemon
    edited December 2003
    Yes, I certainly am.
    Hamburg, actually... village. ;)

We just got our first significant snowfall today, in fact.
    Enjoying the snow, PoweredByDodge?
    Good snowball packing snow it is... :p
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    i work in hamburg -- i do deliveries to the village almost daily -- heard of the Office Supply Store - corner of Quinby and South Park, just north of the fairgrounds? i hide in the back and ship out mail bombs on a daily basis :)

what the hell do u do in the village... its like... small... like... the size of a football field. lol...

my collision shop of choice is Shmidt's on Lake(Camp)... bought my trucks at West Herr Dodge (Even though I hate them with a passion), and got my caps/lids/tonneau's at Ballard's up on Southwestern.
  • geolemon
    edited December 2003
    I don't suppose you have a neon colored truck, do you? Dakota?
    Maybe it's an S-10 I'm thinking of....
    For some reasons that stands out in my mind... always seems to be in that parking lot, when we go to eat at the Pegasus... ;)

I'm actually currently unemployed.
    I have been working as a DBA (Database Administrator) for a few large corporations for the past 7 or so years, started out on IBM midrange systems, moved into the smaller-scale (but scalable) world of MS and SQL Server the past couple years...
    I haven't been fortunate enough to work in the village... Buffalo, Amherst.. you know.

I am also co-founder of Better Audio... VP and R&D. That's the fun part... actually, we're just getting to the fun part... being rather quiet, we are. :D

I'm pondering what to do for work now, actually...
    I'm very committed to what's getting very close to some funding finalization, to launch our first products...
    I don't think it's wise to find another DBA job, since it's hard to work 50-60hrs/week and launch a company...

Something weighing very heavily on my mind.. believe me. :p
    I'm actually taking 16 credits worth of courses, finishing up a little schooling to change my degree (not that it matters in the long run ;)).
  • geolemon
    edited December 2003
    I don't suppose you might know anyone looking to purchase a lowered minitruck, do you?
    I'm trying to sell my Nissan hardbody actually.

It's got a few more rust spots on it now, but nothing major, mostly stuff around the back fenders. I actually bought it because it was so solid - it's been my winter ride for the past couple years (Civic comes off the road for the winter) Selling cheap, too many cars and too few incomes at the house here.
    I've even got the original wheels still, with new snow tires - goes to KB via Oomphalius like a champ. :D

Anyways, it's really a fantastic little truck.
    I purchased a Nissan Pathfinder (from Florida) to replace my little pickup with (2wd of course, so I can lower this one too :D), since the little pickup has been so good, and the frustrating thing is the truck actually runs better than the Pathfinder. :mad:
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Well I orderd by Damplifier.......100 sq ft for $167......can't wait for xmas now so I can get started on my install.....I'll be spending 12 hours in my friends heated garage I'm sure.

Will it really be bad to install it during the cold months? I will have the car in a heated garage, and will be using a heat gun. I'm going to have the interior ripped apart to install all the new speakers and amp anway, just want to do it all at once.

Is it really important to line the roof under the headliner with the damplifier? I wasn't really planning on pullin out the headliner, but ANT said I should put a layer of it up there.

Thanks again everyone.
    Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    im not too sure on either of your questions...lol
    im sure as long as its heated, it will be ok
    the "ideal" situation is hot, sticks a little better...
    where do you live?
    theres no such thing as a heated garage where i live...lol
    good luck and have fun, dont break any clips...
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    I live outside of Philly, PA in the suburbs....it has been consistently in the 30-40's around here. I've already bought all new trim clips for the door panels.....hehe. Thanks.

Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    heh, ive broken a few clips in my truck, that i cant replace cuz its part of the actual panel...that sucks, but oo well
    i live in tx, its been in the high 60s in the day, low 50s at night
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    nah that little yellow piece of shti doesn't run -- it belongs to the guy who lives upstairs from my boss's shop...

i've got the big honkin red ram with the "teeth" on the grille and the "Go N Def" licence plates. :)

opening your own company eh? -- in audio eh? -- need some help? please? eh? lolol

and nopers, dont know anybody after a nissan truck -- nothing against nissan but u say "nissan" and "Truck" in the same sentence and people start to shy away.