newbie looking for info

danocaldwell
danocaldwell Posts: 7
edited February 2013 in Vintage Speakers
Hello all, I also am new to the vintage polk audio world, have been looking around the forum, and have to ask.. how do I determine if the SDA-2's i just recieved are 2a's, 2b's, or something else? Also If there is any other basic info I might need to know would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Dano :neutral:
Post edited by danocaldwell on

Comments

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited February 2013

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • doctorolds
    doctorolds Posts: 12
    edited February 2013
    That first link is great for identification, and the other explains the technology well. Thanks!
  • danocaldwell
    edited February 2013
    thank you very much!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,182
    edited February 2013
    Welcome to the forum! Let's see them!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited February 2013
    Welcome! Post some photos of your SDA 2's Dano.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • danocaldwell
    edited February 2013
    I'll get some pics up tonight hopefully, having issues with my pc.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited February 2013
    Welcome! Enjoy your new babies.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • danocaldwell
    edited February 2013
    Well, here they are. I haven't gotten them hooked up yet because I'm in the process of making the cabinet that will hold the NAD's , also waiting for pin/blade connectors to come from Australia so I can get a interconnect cable made. But I saw no reason why I couldn't get a pic up of them.
    IMG_1557 trimmed.jpg
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited February 2013
    Those are 2B (pin Blade). They are easily upgradeable.
    You can make a interconnect cable as only the PIN is active. Take an old RCA cable and remove the outer shell so that the pin will go in. I made this with 12GA CL2 speaker wire and two modified RCA ends
    100_0329_1.jpg
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,379
    edited February 2013
    also waiting for pin/blade connectors to come from Australia so I can get a interconnect cable made.

Do tell.....got a link? I hope you didn't buy a DIN connector because it will not work.

We've seen that pair of 2B's before. Someone removed the cloth sides and put wood panels in their place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    edited February 2013
    Yea I saw those on eBay or Craigs list about 3 months ago?
    As F1nut said DIN will not work.
    I also forgot to mention that the pin/connect can be replaced with a single binding post then you can just use standard banana plugs.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do tell.....got a link? I hope you didn't buy a DIN connector because it will not work.

We've seen that pair of 2B's before. Someone removed the cloth sides and put wood panels in their place.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2013
    Yea I saw those on eBay or Craigs list about 3 months ago?

Right, one or the other. The guy was real proud of his work. One thing for sure, you can't miss'em.
    I also forgot to mention that the pin/connect can be replaced with a single binding post then you can just use standard banana plugs.

The binding post is so pass

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danocaldwell
    edited February 2013
    well, that's no good.. I guess my newbie-ness is showing... The ends are DIN size connectors, i figured that they would probably be what is needed.. dammit. I don't want to seem arguementative, but are u certain the blade is not used? the reason I ask is because I opened them up and saw that both pin, and blade are wired, so I took that to mean they were used somehow. Thanks for all your help guys.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited February 2013
    well, that's no good.. I guess my newbie-ness is showing... The ends are DIN size connectors, i figured that they would probably be what is needed.. dammit. I don't want to seem arguementative, but are u certain the blade is not used? the reason I ask is because I opened them up and saw that both pin, and blade are wired, so I took that to mean they were used somehow. Thanks for all your help guys.
    Only the pin carries signal, the blade on some is connected to ground
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    edited February 2013

Don't feel bad, it's how you learn.

The blade is used in conjunction with the AI-1. That's why the internal wire is connected. In the stock cable, the blade does not have a wire connected to it. IMO, you're better off using the Neutrik NL4 connectors and if you ever need to use the AI-1/Dreadnought you're set for termination.

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    edited February 2013
    Yes Pin only blade for support only . I'm sure as the sun rises in the east.
    Listen get you something with good L/R stereo information and carefully just take a piece of wire balled up on the ends so in fits a little snug in the pin hole, you will hear the difference right away.
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited February 2013
    Congrtas and welcome to the forum. 2A's/B's are my favorites of the SDA's so far, and I have heard many of the various models.

Like Polkieman said use a piece of wire to just get you listening to the full effect of the speakers. If you got an old set of rca's layed around you can break the shield coneectors off and use that temporarily, but the internal wire is usually very small and not a good match for your speaker wire. Either way. hook 'em up, enjoy, and start planning upgrades. As good as they are stock, these speakers get even better with a little TLC.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.