Ok, this is what i have so far "disreguard other posts"

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    OK, I have about 450-500 watts RMS in my truck and I am not using any capacitor at all. Capacitors are nice to have but unecessary for your setup. I wouldn't even bother with them. They are added cost and wiring and you really won't be pushing it that hard to warrant the voltage stabilization that they provide. They can help but at your power levels, I do not see them offering a big enough benefit to warrant the extra cost. I wouldn't worry about the capacitors at all.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    dont get me wrong, Jstas knows a hell of a lot more about car audio than me, but i would still get a capacitor
    reason being i have heard USamps arent very efficient, meaning they take more out of your electrical system than other amps putting out the same rated power
    but capacitors are a thing that can be installed later
    you can always just run a straight line to the distro block, and if you see your voltage going up and down a lot or if your lights dim, you can get it then
    but the good thing about caps, theres not a lot too them, meaning, all brands, no matter what you get, is pretty much the same thing
    and the ones with digital readouts arent any better than the plain-jane ones, they just look better, i have 2 with voltage meters, they have some without it, but im kinda on the brink of my electrical system, so i like to see how bad my voltage drops
    you can get a 1.0 lightening audio plain w/out the voltage meter or digital read out for close to $60
    check out ikesound, i think i got mine from them and they were really cheap
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    i put a 1/2 farad cap on a 400 - 450 watt amp... kept the damn headlights from dimming a smidge when the bass hit... i really don't understand it - other than to say "the factory wiring was probably junk" -- i mean - 117 amp alternator in a pickup with less than 450 watts and the damn thing is dimming!!?!?!?! wtf. i had like a 40 amp fuse on it for god sake... and it never popped... i dunno, cap fixed it... cost about 20 bucks...

normally i would not endorse that though -- i don't think you should cap until 750 watts... and then cap EVERY 750.

in the case of the **** old cadillac, i put a cap in it just for the sake of "well the damn alternator is only 80 amps, system probably draws like 60 amps (600 watts)... it can't hurt."
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    Cody,
    He is actually getting the TU-600 and the US 600x, the TU-600 has a 60 amp fuse so total is 185 so he should probably go with a 150 amp fuse
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    eh, ya, makes sense -- well... current draw should be around 120 amps.... i didn't do the math exactly, but anyway -- ya.. around 120 -- i dunno, if u wanna be ultra safe a 125A fuse would be good... but otherwise a 150 oughta do fine... dont go higher than that though.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2003
    MRDhEJ...ever thought about using an ED sub?

just joking... not funny guys??? :rolleyes:
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice

egh, i think some ppl are still pretty pissed off about that, give it a week or 2, then itll be funny
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    and where is the "hell no you shouldnt use a cap" ?
    lol
    i wouldve expected you to say something about that...lol
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003

*musters up his best Hank Hill voice*

"That boy ain't right..."
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MrDHEJ
    MrDHEJ Posts: 137
    edited December 2003
    ok, what's the deal with these "ED sub" subs. Aparently i'm missing the humor in it. :P
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    Mr...there was a really nasty thread ....somone had innocently asked about an Elemental Design sub compared to a momo.... well evidently an ED user seen the post- wich supposidly made fun of it...and then the dogs of Hell...mostly ingnorant beasta's came in here.... longest thread Ive ever seen...too bad no real content!..

So I was making a stab at that... really has nothing to do with your Q....sorry..

dang...(slaps hand again) hate it when I do that :D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    oops...double post!!!!

How's the weather out ther Polksters!!!!
  • MrDHEJ
    MrDHEJ Posts: 137
    edited December 2003
    do i dare ask...

hows does the Elemental Design sub compare to a momo?

:)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    oops...double post!!!!

How's the weather out ther Polksters!!!!
    great, its in the high 70s here in south tx
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by MrDHEJ
    do i dare ask...

hows does the Elemental Design sub compare to a momo?

:)

shh..... just let it pass... we'll all be better off ;p

it's cold and rainy in Fort Wayne IN tonight... rather crappy....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    We had some cold come in to San Antonio last night..... low in mid 30's...back to 60 for high :)
    Winter? what is that ...

and Mr.... Go listen to some for yourself....and you decide. They are deffinatly worth a listen (ED)