Dahlquist DQ-10's

ambiophonics
ambiophonics Posts: 726
edited January 2013 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Hey Guys,

I hate to do this but I need to sell my Dahlquist DQ-10's. I bought these several years back but haven't used them in a while. I purchased them from the original owner who used them in his office at the music school he taught at. In addition to the speakers I will also include the original boxes, and tall speaker stands (seen in picture).

The original owner had the woofers professionally re-foamed (with the correct reverse-roll foam surround) shortly before he sold them to me. The speakers are in good condition and are fully functional original condition. They are the more desirable factory mirrored version and were custom ordered with the "blonde" grill cloth. The mid-range drivers have the usual slight cracking of the rubber surround but still sound wonderful, a company called Regnar will rebuild these drivers but for a price. I had one mid-range driver repaired shortly after I bought the speakers as one of the voice-coil leads had broken and had to be reconnected.

I'm looking for $400 but would also consider trades for other stereo equipment, smaller speakers, pre-amps, turntables etc. Currently selling locally only - located in Eastern Iowa. Please PM offers, trades, or if you feel my pricing is inaccurate. Thanks

PA180030.jpg
PA180038.JPG
3.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
image2.jpeg
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
Post edited by ambiophonics on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2012
    This is one speaker that is simply an icon. No, it isn't perfect and no it doesn't do a lot well but it's a speaker that was immediately a legend and transformed audio at that time. If you haven't heard a pair or owned and modified a pair, you aren't REALLY into audio. I have a pair I bought from TroyD(Polkie) many years ago and I've been slowly rebuilding them for eventual re-use. I'm looking forward to the day that I can play them again and I've kept everything modest and simple in regards to upgrades. The cosmetics are what is more important since I don't want to re-design the loudspeaker, just tweak it.

I've heard full blown rebuilds with all kinds of changes and mods that just makes it NOT a DQ10 anymore. They sounded awful. The problem most folks have is that they don't know when to stop when it comes to working and modifying a loudspeaker. This happens with Polk speakers as well. This is NOT one of those mods.

OK...obviously rambling but this is a rare speaker that is worth owning but it will need a little work to get them "perfect". Regnar is an awful company to deal with but there are many resources available for this speaker and it shares an Advent woofer for an upgrade.

Ambio....honestly your price is high but some great work has been done as in the mirrored array, refoamed woofers and they ca be ready to play in a couple weeks for a local with some time to fix that midrange, clip the Piezo and sit back. If you are close and cannot work something out for these Polkies, you're a fool.....get your vintage on and start with what is arguably one of the best loudspeakers ever designed.

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,631
    edited November 2012
  • ambiophonics
    edited November 2012
    Great ad!
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited November 2012
    I agree 100% with dorokusai.

Old, weird, fussy, complicated, but crazy-good speaker.

They sound like music instead of speakers.

I always wonder how Jon Dahlquist designed the DQ-10 in the early 70's without any of todays theory, technology, materials etc. and it still managed to make them sound better (to my ears) than nearly every speaker in the following 40 years. Especially at the price they sold for new, not to mention what you can buy them for now on the used market.

I have purchased 5 pairs in the last few years and have passed 4 sets on to friends that love them too. Hanging on to my last set, probably forever. I also have 2 sets of DQ-20's which are a treat, one set loaned out to a friend with DQ-10's.
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited November 2012
    Definitely a pair any stereo fan must have in their listening room at some point. I can't say much more than has been expressed here. I enjoyed every moment I owned mine.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • ambiophonics
    edited November 2012
    You guys are making me think about keeping them...
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited November 2012
    I just sold my pair a couple of months ago. They do a lot of things right. One of my favorite if not best speakers I have owned.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited November 2012
    You guys are making me think about keeping them...

I would if they were mine! :cheesygrin:
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • ambiophonics
    edited November 2012
    Black Friday bump.
  • ambiophonics
    edited November 2012
    I would also be interested in trading for a good quality home theater subwoofer.
  • ambiophonics
    edited December 2012
    Someone just responded to my local CL with this reply (see below) any ideas what their response means?

"Not meant to be insulting, most people looking for used audiophile equipment are going to want them in a proper box to help the sound out. $50-100 can get you $200+. This area isn't large enough to have tons of audiophiles who recognize the drivers."
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,245
    edited December 2012
    CL-quote "Not meant to be insulting.....This area isn't large enough to have tons of audiophiles"

signature material
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited December 2012
    Someone just responded to my local CL with this reply (see below) any ideas what their response means?

"Not meant to be insulting, most people looking for used audiophile equipment are going to want them in a proper box to help the sound out. $50-100 can get you $200+. This area isn't large enough to have tons of audiophiles who recognize the drivers."

The responder doesn't know what you're selling, probably thinks they're DIY, and is suggesting the speakers should have been made in a conventional cabinet. Pay the ignorant no mind.
  • ambiophonics
    edited December 2012
    Gotcha - I thought perhaps I was missing something.
  • ambiophonics
    edited December 2012
    $375 or trade for other stereo equipment.
  • Blownrx7
    Blownrx7 Posts: 137
    edited December 2012
    $375 or trade for other stereo equipment.

These are crazy good speakers at a crazy good price. The only deterrent is your location. Otherwise, I'd be all over these like a cheap suit.
    I still have a pair that I've owned since new in 1983! All the other equioment that I bought in that era is long gone. This has remained because they are that good. I now use them in my HT setup. I completely rebuilt the crossovers - solen caps, Mills resisitors, alpha core inductors and I refoamed them as well. I bought tweeters but never installed thenm so the drivers are still as manufactured.
    Ah, but I digress...
    Will someone please come to their senses and buy them!
  • ambiophonics
    edited December 2012
    $350 or trade for powered sub of similar value
  • ambiophonics
    edited January 2013
    Final price drop - $300 or they may just live in the closet for a while. Local sale only - Location is Eastern IA, sale includes speakers, upgraded stands, and original shipping cartons. See first post for details and photos. I also have a very nice Sansui AU-999 you may be able to convince me to part with :biggrin:
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited January 2013
    Wish you local. I'd snap them up. Legendary speakers. I believe he bought the woofers from Henry Kloss, or there was some arrangement between the two for the woofer design. Someones going to get some sweet classics
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    edited January 2013
    Must not anger the wife...must not anger the wife...

Seriously, if I had seen this a week ago, I would have gone to eastern IA instead of Rochester to purchase speakers. Love the DQ-10s. I rank them right up there with classic Klipsch La Scalas and a JBL Paragon as speakers that aren't "great" but are awesome and iconic. Definitely on my short list of ones to own. And of course, being in IA, it is hard to resist. But castration at the hands of my wife if I bring home another set of speakers is not in my cards atm.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ambiophonics
    edited January 2013
    Sorry you didn't see the thread earlier Zltful! I'm trying to save up for some magnepan MMG's - I think those will pair nicely with my new velodyne sub and NAD receiver. Someone's got to be local and interested?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    edited January 2013
    Oh I am local (WDSM) AND interested. Let me see if a few of my spares move this weekend (got some Klipsch and JBLs listed on CL along with a Yamaha AVR). If I can move those, the wife would be much easier to convince. Hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,532
    edited January 2013
    Hey ambi, great looking speakers. I've seen these for years and would like to hear a pair. I'm not looking to buy, but where in IA are you? I'm from West Liberty, and I'll be making a trip back in the next three or four months, maybe we can hook up and check some gear out. Just a thought, shoot me a PM if you'd like. GLWTS!
  • ambiophonics
    edited January 2013
    Hey ZLTFUL,

Keep me posted, I'm just outside of the Iowa City/Coralville area so a quick jaunt down I80 and they're yours! Good luck with your speaker sales.
  • ambiophonics
    edited January 2013
    Cody,

You're welcome to take a listen if they're still around. I'm only about 30-45 minutes from West Liberty so it wouldn't be a bad drive. If the DQ's are gone you're welcome to check out the SDA-2's or the custom ambiophonics setup (nothing fancy but fun!).
  • ambiophonics
    edited January 2013
    Monday morning bump - see above for details.

Price has been lowered to $300 :eek:
  • ambiophonics
    edited January 2013
    Mods please mark these as sold! Thanks everyone.