Ulv

Options
katya
katya Posts: 32
edited November 2003 in Troubleshooting
Ultra Low Viscosity (ULV) Magnetic Fluid

Polk discovered this Fluid to cool the SL3000's voice coil. The result vastly increased its performance and reliabilty flatness of response, phase linearity and power handling, extend frequency response, free peaks to beyond 26khz.

My question is: is it possible to order this Magnetic fluid
to Polk? And if yes, how much is the amount to replace the old fluid in the SL3000's? any thoughts about this.

Because they are already more than ten years old I think I should oil change my SL3000's Magnetic Fluids...

Katya
My Polk Audio Speakers are:
RTA 11TL>SOLD
CS 245i
LS/Fx
PSW 650
Post edited by katya on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    One word, impossible. No it is not available from Polk, and the fluid is not replaceable.

The SL3000 is doomed to become completely extinct at some point. Unless you have some backups, I would start thinking of the new replacement that is available. You will eventually go insane trying to find SL3000's....especially ones that Har Navalta hasn't allready bought :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    They are easy to change the Fluids as long as the Fluid are available and must know how much amount.

All Fluids can be replaced no matter what kind of this things are.

Katya
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2003
    Options
    What do you know about the fluid and its properties that would cause it to 'wear out' and need changing?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Katya - I would love to see that happen, good luck

If its that easy to change you should have a shootout between, Polk Audio UVL and Quaker State 10w30. :rolleyes:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The fluid is no longer available at any price, hence the reason Polk no longer offers the SL3000 as a replacement. Besides that little problem and as others have stated, you can't change it anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    What do you mean no longer available at any price, maybe at Polk
    but not somewhere else also you said I cannot change it?
    I can change mine not yours...

Check this link:
    http://www.ferrotec-europe.de/en_uk/htmls/audio_fluid_technical_information.php

Katya
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Looks like you answered your own question genius, change away.

Check this link when you are done, and report back.

www.hop.com
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Looks like you answered your own question genius, change away.

Check this link when you are done, and report back.

www.hop.com

Thanks for the link Russman!!! I have been looking for that after being told I'm an idiot and can't spell:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Another SL3000 on its way to the cemetary. :D
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Well, wtf do I know anyway.........Polk told me that they can't get the fluid anymore. As for changing it.......let me know if you do, I'd like to know how that works out.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    geez... only 12 variables ought to be a cinch finding the replacement...

then again i can't even find the drain plug on my spare 2000's... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I am serious about changing my SL3000's Fluids I will let you know once it is complete.

Hey Tour2ma, you have to open your SL2000 and wipe the old
    fluids by cotton buds simple...

Katya
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2003
    Options
    please explain how to open up a tweeter?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Answered by Polk Engineering

Original Message
    From: Harry Navalta [mailto:harry.navalta@bharchitects.com]
    Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 12:35 PM
    To: 'Swauger, Ken'
    Subject: SL3000

Hello Ken,
    It happens that one Club member open this topic and I am interested to find the answers too, about the Ultra Low Viscosity (ULV) Magnetic Fluid for the SL3000.

I would like to ask you this question also.

What is the equivalent Magnetic Fluid that you can buy in the stores and also how much amount of fluid to drops in every tweeter if there is limit.

Regards,
    Harry Navalta

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 2:01 PM
    To: 'harry.navalta@bharchitects.com'
    Subject: RE: SL3000

Hello Harry,
    Your question is forwarded to the Engineering Department
    Regards,
    Ken, Polk

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 12:41 PM
    To: Lumsden, Stu
    Subject: FW: SL3000

Stu,

Can you offer an opinion on this?

Thanks, Ken

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 1:55 PM
    To: Swauger, Ken
    Subject: RE: SL3000

An equvalent magenetic fluid is probably best found through Ferro Fluidics http://www.ferrofluidics.com/. They have offices all over the world. They can help directyou to a suitable replacement but it would be best to use one of their products.

Gauss: as high as available is best

Viscosity: 100 - 500 cps

Ammount: When the gap is filled with only about 3/16" of circular arc left unfilled that should be about right.

The amount was measured in microleters. I could look up the exact amount but most people will not have the means to dispense it. It would be easier for a layperson to use a dropper or syringe and just hold it near the magnetic gap of the tweeter. The magnatism of the gap will draw the fluid out of the syringe so pay attention to your work. If you overfill then use a napkin or tissue to wick the fluid out of the gap. No other means of extraction will work as well because of the magnetic attraction.

Good luck,

Stu Lumsden
    VP of Engineering, Polk Audio, Inc.
    5601 Metro Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215
    tel: 410-764-5221, fax: 410-764-5491

I will try myself to change some of my SL3000 old Fluids too.

Har
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Good luck Dr. Polkenstein's, let us know the attrition rate of such a project.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Very interesting! If one of you do it, let me know how it goes.

President of Club Polk

• katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    hmmm...interesting
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Katya,

Just for the record, I'm dead serious. I have opened up the SL3000.......actually 4 of them. When I spoke with Ken about it, he said he wouldn't advise it...oh well, too late. Have you actually opened one up yet? If not, I'd be glad to share what I know.

If you want to help, believe me it's welcome, but what's with the attitude??? You question why I want more spares when I have 4 (actually 2 working) spares and then you post that you have 5, WTF??? And you never did answer my PM.

F1

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by katya
    most of the people here are only fooling around...
    guilty as charged...

pleasantly surprised that cs is giving fluid selection guidance, albeit on only two criteria (so far)...

as for disassembling tweeters... not a skill i've been forced to acquire as yet... guess the old 2000's are made of sterner stuff.

good luck all. look forward to reading of your progress.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Hello Katya, that's nice of you to part one SL3000. I love to have one but I have also one spare and one that doesn't work but since you mentioned that you have 5, I am happy to have it, email me here: har_navalta@hotmail.com and we can talk from there.

Har
  • katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    F1, I know you want also to change your SL3000 fluids. I will let you know the outcome. I questioned you because you have already 3 spares right? how come you want for more?

Katya
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Kayta,

Ok, sounds good, let me know.

I only have 2 working spares. I want more because you never know when you'll need them...simple. More is better.

President of Club Polk

• katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    f1 thinks that I am the alter of that guy...hmmm
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Does anyone else here think that Katya is Har's alter ego???

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    lol...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    f1, you don't have any idea who am I...
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2003
    Options
    F1, now that you mention it, yeah.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Maybe this will help.........

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2003
    Options
    OMG... not another twin...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    OMG... not another twin...

Huh:confused: was there a party and I was not invited;)

Tonight will be a good night:p

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***