So I Blew my RTA 11t's tweater

Options
mikejz84
mikejz84 Posts: 158
edited November 2003 in Troubleshooting
Okay so here is the story--I bought a pair of RTA 11ts about 6 mounths ago for $60 at a garage sale. Well I was watching T3 yesterday and decided to turn it up a little too much because I mangaed to blow the tweater on one of them. Now here is the funny thing--The speakers are polk RTA 11t, but the tweater is a SL-3000. The other speakers tweater does not have a model number on it, but it does have that little plastic thing on top and it looks identical to the SL-3000--so I assume they are both SL-3000s. I looked at the crossover,and it appears to be the orginal one.

I am woundering two things:
1. I was only running my receiver at -15db and I blew my tweater, is this normal? (H/K AVR 525)

2. I also had my bass management improperly setup for the movie--I had left in the setting I prefer for music with the crossover at 45hz. During the movie the speaker whos tweater blew was producing a thumping sound during bass lines. I am woundering if this somehow could of caused the damage.

3. Is it worth it to replace the SL-3000?
Post edited by mikejz84 on

Comments

• katya
    katya Posts: 32
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Since it is very hard to find the original SL3000 you can order replacement at Polk, this is the SL2000T's (replacement for SL2000 and SL3000) and you should replace both tweeters
    to match.

I have also the RTA 11TL and I am powering them with adcom 5503's but I don't encounter that problems.

By the way I am interested for the other SL3000 only if you want to part let me know if not No Big Deal.

Katya
    My Polk Audio Speakers are:
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • mikejz84
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Would I notice a difference If I only replaced one?
  • katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You should ask Ken at Polk to make sure... but I do know that there is a little diffrerence.

Katya
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • mikejz84
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I just called and ordered one, I should get it Monday. I am pissed because I just rented Chicago and I has to go back before Monday:rolleyes: I figure if I do notice a difference I will just buy another one (not a fun thing for a poor college student like me)
  • katya
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Let me know the difference.

Katya
    RTA 11TL>SOLD
    CS 245i
    LS/Fx
    PSW 650
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    likely you'll buy another new one. age is a factor.

you may recall f1 reported the failure of one of his 3000's and fluid discoloration of a 2nd not too long ago.

assuming you x-over higher for movies, in your case you may have hastened failure with the music avr set up during dvd play by clipping the mains' amp ch's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Yep, sizzled one like Jimmy Dean and the other had a rather nasty smell in addition to the change of color. I do believe they are beginning to show their age, hence my continued search for more spares.

Katya, how you know how to work the PM feature or do you just not like me? ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk