Bel Canto's USB > SPDIF Converters

falconcry72
falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
edited November 2012 in Going Digital
Anyone have any experience with Bel Canto's new USB > SPDIF converters???

They offer (3) levels:

- mLink: $400: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_mLink.html
- uLink: $700: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_uLink.html
- REFLink: $1500: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_REFLink.html

Wondering if any of these would be an upgrade to my Audio GD Digital Interface. Gotta have a good source!
2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
Post edited by falconcry72 on

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2012
    Anyone have any experience with Bel Canto's new USB > SPDIF converters???

They offer (3) levels:

- mLink: $400: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_mLink.html
    - uLink: $700: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_uLink.html
    - REFLink: $1500: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_REFLink.html

Wondering if any of these would be an upgrade to my Audio GD Digital Interface. Gotta have a good source!

The source is everything...

One important thing with USB to SPDIF/I2S interfaces is to maintain galvanic isolation between the PC and destination via transformer coupling. IIRC all the Bel Canto's you linked do that. Gotta isolate that harsh 'putie environment to get the best SQ.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited November 2012
    Also consider Empirical Audio Off Ramp 5. This USB converter has transformed my PC audio rig so that it is outperforming my cd player. It sounds very natural and realistic.
  • falconcry72
    edited November 2012
    Ern Dog wrote: »
    Also consider Empirical Audio Off Ramp 5. This USB converter has transformed my PC audio rig so that it is outperforming my cd player. It sounds very natural and realistic.

The Off Ramp is high on my list as well.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    edited November 2012
    I received the Amanero usb to i2s converter and find the pc sounds better than ever. Will your Audio GD NFB-7 accept i2s?
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • falconcry72
    edited November 2012
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I received the Amanero usb to i2s converter and find the pc sounds better than ever. Will your Audio GD NFB-7 accept i2s?

No i2s. Only AES/EBU, BNC coax, RCA coax, and Toslink.

Don't get me wrong, my Audio GD Digital Interface sounds great... I'm just always questioning whether it's a bottleneck, given that it ran 200 bucks, whereas all the other components in that system retailed for a few k when new.

The DI sounds as good as the CD transports I've compared it to, but I'm wondering if a better converter will be even better...

• falconcry72
    edited November 2012
    Can't for crap for reviews on these converters... must be real new. That also means they won't showing up on the used market for a while. I don't want to be a guinea pig for the $1500 reflink, but damn it's tempting!

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2012
    I don't want to be a guinea pig for the $1500 reflink, but damn it's tempting!

I hate the depreciation aspect of buying new myself.... If it becomes as popular as the Wyred DAC's, resale could be high.

I like that they have a BNC coax input on your Audio GD....a true 75 Ohm connector. Best way to reduce chances of reflection in that SPDIF signal compared to RCA in. With digital, you have to look at all ways to get best possible sound.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • falconcry72
    edited November 2012
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I hate the depreciation aspect of buying new myself.... If it becomes as popular as the Wyred DAC's, resale could be high.

I like that they have a BNC coax input on your Audio GD....a true 75 Ohm connector. Best way to reduce chances of reflection in that SPDIF signal compared to RCA in. With digital, you have to look at all ways to get best possible sound.

On the NFB7, I've been using the BNC input for my DI and the AES/EBU for my ARC CD-1. The RefLink has both AES and BNC out, so I'd probably try both.

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited November 2012
    We used the brand new BelCanto DAC with SPDIF at CAF2012 and have nothing but high reviews for them. We had a BLACK BOX uLink version direct from Engineering so not sure what has changed to production but it was awesome. We did have to reset it a number of times for whatever reason but this went back to them as a downside comment.

Our iTunes interface was Pure Music. I was told by BC that they preferred that connectio(SPDIF) over optical and digital output anyways....take that for what its worth.

Mark
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • falconcry72
    edited November 2012
    dorokusai wrote: »
    We used the brand new BelCanto DAC with SPDIF at CAF2012 and have nothing but high reviews for them. We had a BLACK BOX uLink version direct from Engineering so not sure what has changed to production but it was awesome. We did have to reset it a number of times for whatever reason but this went back to them as a downside comment.

Our iTunes interface was Pure Music. I was told by BC that they preferred that connectio(SPDIF) over optical and digital output anyways....take that for what its worth.

Mark

Very cool. Does Polk work with BC a lot? Which model DAC was it? That's encouraging that your ulink prototype performed well... makes me even more tempted by the reflink...