Burning CD's

Options
MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
This has been bothering me for sometime now.

When we burn a cd into our computers we are using a sub $50 transport in most cases. Personally I use a @ $70 usb HP cd burner to a net book, running iTunes. Nothing to write home about, and I need to step up my game.

We are all aware of the lengths we go to to purchase the best transport/CD player and power supplies bla bla bla.

I am not trying to start a flame thread, I am just trying to figure out if I am thinking right or missing something.

Scott
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited October 2012
    Options
    What you're missing is that when you play it back, timing of the data is important. When your ripping (the more correct term than burning) the music in, you're doing a data copy.

So when ripping, you want accuracy of the data bits. Hence, things that do a better job like EAC.

When you play back, it's certainly important to deliver good data, but it's the timing of it where the variation comes in. And the filtering of the recovered analog audio necessary, which effects timing in yet another completely different way....group delay.

So the fact that you're thinking about the issue is good. Playback requires that insane accuracy of trying to put the bits of the busted up mirror back together with a minimum of crack showing between each piece.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited October 2012
    Options
    This has been bothering me for sometime now.

When we burn a cd into our computers we are using a sub $50 transport in most cases. Personally I use a @ $70 usb HP cd burner to a net book, running iTunes. Nothing to write home about, and I need to step up my game.

We are all aware of the lengths we go to to purchase the best transport/CD player and power supplies bla bla bla.

I am not trying to start a flame thread, I am just trying to figure out if I am thinking right or missing something.

If you are just making a bit for bit copy, computer burners are adequate. If you are making production masters and you need to tweak quality, better quality equipment is required.

I did find that better burning media (music CD-R's) made a difference:

Better Sound With Music CD R's
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2012
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    What you're missing is that when you play it back, timing of the data is important. When your ripping (the more correct term than burning) the music in, you're doing a data copy.

So when ripping, you want accuracy of the data bits. Hence, things that do a better job like EAC.

I thought he was talking about creating (burning) a CD from files on the computer. Good catch.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks CJ and DK. My concern is the copy for listening to my music via SB Touch through an outboard DAC.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • gigbyt
    gigbyt Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I always screw mine up somehow.
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The cd drive in your computer is more than adequate to copy data