UltraFocus 8000 and UltraFocus 6000 Headphones - I Didn't Know Polk Made Headphones!

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited October 2012 in Headphones
I missed Polk Audio's headphone product launch last summer.

026AnthonyKopherPolkStrAstMgr-s.jpg
Figure 1. Anthony Kopher, Polk Store Assistant Manager, demonstrates Polk's line of headphones at Polkfest
2012. I was very impressed with the sound quality, comfort, appearance and features of these phones.
Each Polkfest attendee received a complimentary set of UltraFocus 6000 earphones.

KF8K-6K-Boxes-cr-s.jpg
Figure 2. These phones come in multiple layers of packaging in a thick, heavy, cardboard carton.

UF6K-8K-Box-Mag-Clasp-s.jpg
Figure 3. The UltraFocus boxes close with a magnetic clasp. The printing, slick and glossy photography
and construction quality of the packaging is very high-endish.

UF8K-InsideBox-s.jpg
Figure 4. Inside the UltraFocus 8000 box. The heavy plastic case is set in a tray lined with velvety fabric.

UF8K-Acc-s.jpg
Figure 5. I appreciated the convenient, easy to open ziplock backs for the accessories and manual.

UF6K-InsideBox-s.jpg
Figure 6. Inside the UltraFocus 6000 box.

UF6K-Acc-s.jpg
Figure 7. UltraFocus 6000 accessories.

UF6K-Laptop-s.jpg
Figure 8. The UF6K's are primarily used with my laptop.

0038K-6KCell-s.jpg
Figure 9. Every now and then the UF6K's are used for music playback from my cell phone.

UF8K-Sax-Mixer3cr-s.jpg
Figure 10. My UF8K's are primarily used during the recording of practice sessions.

Other reviewers have noted a "forward" or overly emphasized bass presentation with both Ultrafocus phones...moreso with the UF6K. I found that the tonal balance varied with the type of music player I used. Winamp's Pro player provided the most naturally balanced and detailed playback on my laptop and cell phone. I did not like the sound at all with the standard music player that came with my Android cell phone.

While recording my practice sessions, I came to appreciate the more isolative qualities of the UF8K's compared to my previous headphones.
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2012
    I was also impressed with the demo of both of these sets at Polkfest. The 8000's were a little tight on my head. The 6000's were very nice. I'm not a head fi guy so I don't have much expreience to compare these units to other mfgs. The product packaging of these units are first class all the way. Great products!
    Carl

• ss1
    ss1 Posts: 13
    edited October 2012
    similar sound between the two?
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited October 2012
    Yes, the "sonic signature" is similar. Of course, the much larger UF8K has the fuller, richer, more detailed, more stereophonic sound.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2012
    I agree! I've been using the 6000's with my Sansa clip for portable listening. I like the variety of ear buds that come with the unit, and the airline adapter. No more of those crappy airline provided ear phones YUK!
    Carl