Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL Crossover Modification Thread

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,020
edited October 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Gimpod Boards, Clarity Cap ESA, SA, PX + Mundorf Mox resistors, Supra Rondo SDA cable, NL2 connection, binding post :)
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Very, VERY nice!
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options

Interesting how different the 3.1TL is from the others
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Are these mine Trey? :razz:

Lookin' good dude!
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I am using your boards!!! :-P

(Seriously.. Mike's has not got here yet....) HEHEHHEHE

Thanks!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2012
    Options
    What is the cost for those Trey?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Shoot me an email - Vr3Mods@GMail.com :)

• VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    All done!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You done gone and done it again Trey!

Outstanding work.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That is fantastic work right there!!!!
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks gents! :)
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Very nice . Where did you order the parts for all this ? I have the boards.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I am a dealer :-D

Let me know if you would like a quote -

Vr3Mods@GMail.com

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Hey Trey, If they perform half as good as they look...I will be a very happy camper!

Thanks, Mike
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I've received the x-overs back from Trey, and I have to say that I'm in awe. The combination of Gimbods new boards and the workmanship this young man is putting out is simply outstanding.

I have them installed and am burning in at this moment. I was taken aback by the initial overall sound coming from the 3.1's. I can only imagine what a few hundred hours is going to bring to the table.

Dealing with Trey has been a treat and I can recommend him with total confidence, from communication, to the return shipping, to the finished product...Top Shelf.
  • VR3
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thank you sir!! :-D

Please keep me posted on the burn in progress!!
  • VR3
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ESA 250v, Jantzen Inductor, Mundorf Mox Resistor
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Bump for some beautiful work Trey.

Not to mention, I wanted Patricks thread off the top spot in the DIY forum.:lol:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • VR3
    edited July 2013
    Options
    haha! Thank you sir! Not quite as beautiful as some of those cables you make though! :-D

And no joke on that one man, what a crazy thread!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Still makes me wish I had went out to Denver and bought Mytery's 3.1TLs...*whine*
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Drenis
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'll be picking up those gems in the above picture tomorrow from the post office. :cool:

The wait is over!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    I'll be picking up those gems in the above picture tomorrow from the post office. :cool:

The wait is over!

Congrats! Those look nice! Let us know how it sounds.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Mike Reeter
    edited July 2013
    Options
    As usual, very nice work Trey. I can see that you and Andre cut no corners and left nothing to chance. The 3.1's will be singing as never before!
  • VR3
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks Mike! :D
  • Drenis
    edited July 2013
    Options
    All I have to say boys, is wow.
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    These will be making a trip to India! (Waiting on Inductors)
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    This is a new way to do mods...

I call it the infinite connection floating algorithm that gives you transparent highs and lightning fast sound... its like nothing is even there
  • sk88
    sk88 Posts: 158
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Is this (floating algorithm) gonna be the new standard for all XO mods?

Taking this lightly, we may see caps dancing while music playing. Taking this seriously, do you really hear a difference?

I have to assume Trey is just joking. You got me for sure.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    That would be interesting to try this but it definitely was a haha picture for sure... :)
  • sk88
    sk88 Posts: 158
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I thought you introduced to us this briliant design to reduce capacitor thermal errors by increasing nonlinear electromagnetic damping and that it reduces vibration coupling from traditional hotglue and ziptie, and now you call it a joke? Don't you know you figured out a way to reduce high-frequency distortion from coil inductive effects, together with reduced interconnect errors by allowing air to flow freely around the capacitors?
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3
  • VR3
    edited September 2013
    Options
    The best part about this mod is the added space to place magic pebbles to further the audio experience!!