toe in

Options
bgaskins
bgaskins Posts: 65
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Did a search. I couldn't find what I was looking for. Could someone please tell me what toe in actually is? Or link to a very detailed thread about it? Thanks a lot gang. As usual always a good help.
Post edited by bgaskins on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited November 2003
    Options
    "Toe in" is when you angle the speakers (usually mains) towards the listening position. Experiment to find the right angle, whatever sounds best to you.

Edit: Awww cripes! He beat me to it
    Graham
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited November 2003
    Options
    toe in is a art form.

Simple way to get started.Your mains speakers should be equal distance apart as the distance you sit from them.Then when your sitting in your listening position,toe in the speakers or ANGLE them inward untill you only see the front of the speaker.Nop sides should be visible.

This is a basic starting point.Once you hear what difference this made as to what you have setup now,then you can taylor your sound accordingly.

Again this is an artform and needs to be treated as such.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • bgaskins
    bgaskins Posts: 65
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will try this, becuase my ht room is long and not very deep. I think this would make a huge difference.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2003
    Options
    The only time you'll benefit from toe-in is if you sit in that one exact spot every time you either listen to music or watch a movie. I move around all the time, so I would absolutely hate it.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2003
    Options
    with the correct toe in... stereo can have a very nice imaging quality to it.. and it can even envelop you.. enough so.. that it sounds like you're surrounded by more than just two speakers.

as for as i know.. you don't need to toe in your speakers very much.. lets just say.. 5 degrees or so.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited November 2003
    Options
    As mantis stated, "toeing in speakers is an art form". And I agree with danger boy, most of the time it will not take much to improve the soundstage and imaging of a pair of speakers. I for one, am a firm believer in "angling" speakers, especially horn loaded ones.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I would look at your main seating area (like the couch that faces your TV) and toe in according to the edges of the couch. That way even people on the edges get a better soundstage, not just the main listener.

That's how I have mine setup at home and it sounds fantastic.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    I would look at your main seating area (like the couch that faces your TV) and toe in according to the edges of the couch. That way even people on the edges get a better soundstage, not just the main listener.

That's how I have mine setup at home and it sounds fantastic.

i've currently got mine angled toward the center of the couch... i'll have to try the edges and see how it sounds.
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Terrax
    As mantis stated, "toeing in speakers is an art form". And I agree with danger boy, most of the time it will not take much to improve the soundstage and imaging of a pair of speakers. I for one, am a firm believer in "angling" speakers, especially horn loaded ones.
    Terrax, like you, i'm using RTi150s. Are you toe-ing in your RTi150s? About how many degrees?
    Rgds,
    --Pete
  • RCR1
    RCR1 Posts: 6
    edited November 2003
    Options
    What you can also do to help with setting the angle is tape a laser pointer to the top of the speakerbox midline with the drivers. Then you can get an idea of where it's pointing at. Of course the laser will be pointing above the seating are but you'll now get a good idea of the angle.

Also to help with imaging, you want to pull the mains a few inches in front of the TV as well as angle the center channel downward to the listening area (if you're TV is tall like an RPTV). Pulling the center channel as far forward and angling it down (I use door stops) without it falling of course :D works wonders. Give it a try.