Twisted Pear Buffalo III DUAL MONO DAC Build

Options

Comments

• Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It just gets better....your knowledge and build is stunning :idea:
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Amherst wrote: »
    It just gets better....your knowledge and build is stunning :idea:

Amen bro....

I think I have a man crush on this guy.:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Very nice Rich!

If I could only find one like yours on Craigslist! :cool:
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!

Carl, there were days I wished I could have found one on Craigslist too.:eek::lol:

Next month, the Krell-der will land, eh? I gotta pull more wires for a second 20 amp circuit and put down a deposit at Com Ed.:eek:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The Amanero USB to I2S module is installed. I opted for inside mounting with short patch cable from a Neutrik panel mount USB connector as I am not sure if this will be the last USB module installed or further modded. The power wire is cut in the USB patch cable; power to the module is supplied from a linear PS set to 3.3v, not the 'putie. Some small coax of different color was used to connect the I2S signals. The shields of the coax are grounded at both ends.

amanero_usb_2.jpg
    amanero_usb_3.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Very neat as usual.For me atleast I find making little wire harness's as much fun as root canal.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks Fred! I hear you on them small harness connections; I have some time in them. I have crimp pliers for the small gold female contacts and hit them with a dab of solder, just to be sure. Once I'm done messin around, I could just direct solder everything.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Fred, it didn't take long for someone to offer an isolator/reclock board for the Amanero. $25US, bare board. Connect to the BIII ultra low jitter Crystek 100Mhz clock. I've got zero noise but interested in the reclocking the I2S close to home. And I thought I was almost done...:cheesygrin:

isoreclock.png
  • FTGV
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Cool.At least you still have some room left for it. Do you have a linky?
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    There have been various DIY attempts of synchronous reclocking of the bitclock mod with the Amanero. Some of the few dollar mods were compared to antennas or RF transmitters with broken ground planes when finished but still provided improvements.

reclockbck.jpg

This example is by glt of HiFiDuino.

dsc02495.jpg

A well designed board started here in the Acko DAC thread. Details and BOM to follow.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/147817-ackodac-based-es9018-65.html#post3320259

The GB thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb.html#post3320268

AckoDAC web site.
    https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/home

The other alternative is Ian's I2S FIFO solution with reclock board, the ultimate weapon to fight jitter. He has made some neat boards. He also has an interest list going for a better Si570 clock board.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/207438-ian-asynchronous-i2s-s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy.html
  • FTGV
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the links Rich.Looks like some good reading.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You are most welcome Fred.

I2S is better compared to SPDIF but one must remember it was designed as a local digital bus inside a CD player. Smart folks say after a few inches of wire length you start to lose its benefits. LVDS (low Voltage Differential Signaling) is the best way to fly with moving I2S signals over long distances, like with the Twisted Pear Teleporters; one set up to send and one to receive (up to 100 feet IIRC). There is still the issue of recovering the clock. By reclocking at destination, we solve any source or travelling clock issues. I think it is worth a try to hear what happens. I do know that I2S/DSD (CD/SACD) from the modded Denon is outstanding via LVDS. Same with the modded Touch. It would be kewl to get even more bang.

This blog post at HiFiDuino sorts most of the useful info out with pics of Ian's FIFO/reclocker. You Canadians are pretty smart! In hindsight I am thinking this is the direction I should have went.

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/ians-fifo-reclocker-and-buffalo-iii-dac/

The BIII default operation is in asynchronous mode generating its own local master clock. There is an asynchronous reclocker in the Sabre32 DAC. To run in synch mode, you need a source of low jitter and need to disable or remove the BIII master clock. Ian (also a Canadian) made a neat clock board for the BIII DAC. Simply remove the clock and attach the FIFO reclocker via U.FL cable to run in synch mode. Remove the U.fl and stick the clock back in for asynch mode. With the Acko board you run the master clock signal to the board and let the Sabre reclocker figure it out. Like a synch/asynch approach?:confused:

asyncmode.jpg?w=595

syncmode.jpg?w=595
  • schwarcw
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I gotta ask, does it sound good? :twisted:

Very nice Rich! I am not at the point where I need something like you've got. It is a beauty. I hope to come out there and see it soon. The Krell is too heavy to bring in my carry on.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hey Carl! Airport security would take you to that windowless room if you brought that monster with as carry on.:cheesygrin:

I've gone to great lengths to get the best sound out of digital here and it has been worth it. The DAC sounds absolutely wonderful. Dead quiet, highly dynamic, revealing, no background hiss/hum. Of course I could use and welcome another opinion now. Ed preferred the single Buffalo III DAC build over the ModWright 9100ES, but then again he does like that Krell gear?...:eek::cheesygrin: I2S sounds better than SPDIF in; I'll see if it gets even better with the isolator/reclock board for the Amanero USB to I2S module. Folks have been reclocking I2S at destination to get the absolute minimum of jitter for best SQ. Like high end gear, extremely low jitter numbers.

Jay may pop over this weekend.....hopefully I'll have the Krell KSL pre amp main and power supply boards recapped and it will still work.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited January 2013
    Options
    thanks for posting i enjoyed the read.
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I missed this along the way with my build. Back in 2010, Rosendorfer in Krak
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I installed a Twisted Pear OTTO II 2:1 digital switch in the DAC to switch between USB to I2S input and the Denon I2S/DSD input. It stacks nicely on the Sidecar with a female header and clipped cap leads. The Sidecar is bewteen the 4 channel SPDIF input board and DAC. I just have to do some coding to make it work with the Arduino I2C serial control. I have to add an input and instruct it what to activate. Haven't coded in a while, nightmares will be returning....:eek:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Rich, you have to stop.....your making me sick with that dac build bro. Whatever it is you do for a living, you should stop and just build dacs. I don't think I've ever seen such quality in a DIY project. Your talent continues to impress, when are we lower level slobs gonna be able to get an ear on this puppy ? I'm waiting for a group get together so I won't be the only one crying in the crowd.:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Hey Tony! Thanks for the kind words about my 'beyond retail' adventure.

The wife went and got herself allergic to some ingredients found in most common household items so I am waiting for her to stabilize to the replacement 'safe' products before I host something. I stand by with EpiPen and have that scene from Pulp Fiction memorized.:twisted::biggrin:
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2013
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I stand by with EpiPen and have that scene from Pulp Fiction memorized.:twisted::biggrin:

The DAC looks magnificent! I have to get my ears on it soon. Ed and I intend to invade Chicago for Apoxana and crash at your place. Best place Dana in some safe haven because Ed and I come with some toxic smells and chemicals in our suitcases. We're planning to setup a meth lab in your basement while we listen to that DAC. We need some quick cash so we can have the Scompracer Super DAC in our systems!! We have to carry weapons 'cause we always carry cash.
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited February 2013
    Options
    BTW, any idea of the parts count in that beauty? Ir rivals the Krell preamp!!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Thanks Carl! Hey, you should know you could build two or more pres from the parts found in a Krell!:wink:

You and Ed either stay in the same room here or one of you stays with Jasper in his room. That is a locked down unit after lights out so you'd have to share his litter box too.:cheesygrin: As for the meth won't it kill the weed growing down there?:eek::cheesygrin:
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Fred, was wondering if I could send you these Acko isolation/reclock boards with parts for the Amanero USB/I2S module. Show me your technique for soldering SMD parts. Video it and put it on you tube. Just do these two......then I'll know how in the future....:cheesygrin: Larger board for the dual Potato chips.

acko_boards.jpg
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Where'd you get that giant dime from, Rich? :lol:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • FTGV
    edited March 2013
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    .... soldering SMD parts.
    That looks like some real fun right there Rich.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I was making op-amp upgrade boards for a while and having to solder the SMD's on boards smaller than the dime. Talk about "fun" :^ /
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Rich,
    I got a set also! Looks like oven baking is in the works. If I find the solder paste I'll let you know. I don't have much motivation right now due to the great sound I hear with the sdtrans384. I2s and wave files. Computer is used to convert flac to wave. Kind of like making cassette tapes. Ha ha. But sounds way better.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The OT got cut so I'll be more rested and better able to deal with the tiny stuff. I just want simple, so the whole point of this excercise will be to see if isolation/reclocking improves the USB to I2S SQ at present. I have no noise/hiss/hum at full volume with no music playing now with the non-isolated Amanero. My expectation is the BIII clock will be better than the Amanero clocks. I could try just isolation too, but the smart folks say transformer or chip isolation alone adds jitter. Might be good to try it both ways.

The Potato chips are fast and said to handle well above 100Mhz clocks.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Rich - How does the Otto work? If I wanted to be able to choose between an S/PDIF input and an I2S input from a USB module what else would I need?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • SCompRacer
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Ben, the OTTO II is a 2:1 Mux that can switch digital output between two four channel inputs. I use it in my DAC to switch between two I2S inputs. I’ve never used it to switch SPDIF but I think Brian at TP did and it worked. The TP diyaudio OTTO II thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/216799-introducing-otto2.html

The only issue I can think of for you is input mapping. That is you have up to four channels of output (1A to 4A) plus GND to connect to your DAC board and how does SPDIF and I2S connect to your DAC board inputs. Your inputs on each channel (1B1 - 1B4 / 2B1-2B4) would have to be mapped to proper 1A-4A output.

You just add a jumper and pull up resistor to OTTO II and switch it by applying 4-5v. I tried it without the pull up resistor and switching was delayed. I use a mechanical switch in my Denon 3910 to switch OTTO II between I2S and DSD output. The only restrictions are the signals switched can’t be greater than the voltage used to switch it, which shouldn’t be an issue with I2S/DSD/SPDIF. Details are in the Integration Guide.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/community_docs/leonvb-Buffalo_III_DAC_Integration_Guide_V2.0.0.pdf

If using a micro controller (Arduino or equivalent) they can still pass a small voltage (like .009v) when switched low that kept my OTTO II switched on. I had to add a relay on the one in my DAC. No such issue with a mechanical switch.

otto_layout.jpg

The OTTO II in my DAC connects to a Twisted Pear Sidecar which is between my four channel SPDIF input board and DAC. The Sidecar just has one input and is switched by 5v so I get I2S/DSD input or up to four channels of SPDIF input for a total of six inputs. This was taken before the pull up resistor and relay were added.

otto_1.jpg