Twisted Pear Buffalo III DUAL MONO DAC Build

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited September 2013 in Going Digital
dualmono_parts.jpg

This yet to be completed project and pile of parts can only mean one thing. The best way I can express my love for this Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC is by keeping it and making it bigger, making it better. A dual mono DAC is nothing new. Quite simply, one DAC chip per channel allows for the best possible dynamic range with no timing shifts between channels that is possible with a shared DAC chip, if you believe in that sort of thing.

When I finally got the Squeezebox Touch and ripped my digital to hard drive, I was in love with the convenience, but began to miss the sound quality of my ModWright Sony 9100ES. I performed some extensive mods to a Music Hall 25.3 DAC and while I got closer, did not achieve my targeted SQ results. I had a good friend here the other day who is no stranger to audio and we went from the modded MH 25.3 to the ModWright Sony 9100ES to the caseless BIII DAC, and he said you have to build me one of these!

The Buffalo III DAC uses the ESS Sabre32 Reference (ES9018) DAC chip which supports up to 32-bit/192kHz input. The chip itself has some outside the box thinking and DAC's using them are very popular. CP's Fred (FTGV) also has a BIII and summed it up well;

"I have been keeping an eye on (more like drooling over) TP's development process of this DAC over the last few years and appreciated how they were striving to optimize each performance area for maximum sound quality. (For instance the use of such high quality voltage regulation for the DAC chip itself is a rarity). "

Per TP;

"Two 3.3V Trident modules provide power for the on board Oscillator (VDD_XO) and main digital sections of the ES9018 (DVCC). One 1.2V Trident module provides power for the digital core (VDD) of the ES9018. An AVCC module provides power for the left and right analog sections of the ES9018."

The other thing Twisted Pear does is expose use of all the DAC's features and adjustment parameters via two blocks of dipswitches. Two of the most important to me are I2S (CD) and DSD (SACD) input. This means I am not chained to S/PDIF coax out on a digital player and only CD's. I2S (and DSD) separate the clock and data streams which can improve SQ over S/PDIF coax out with a CD. I modded my Denon 3910 to export both CD and SACD. A switch on the back of it allows me to change between the two outputs to the DAC so I can use it to play hard media as well as the digital on my hard drive through a SB Touch.

I'll stay with the larger and high heat producing shunting power supplies and add a second discrete output board, the TP Legato balanced output. I'll also stay with BNC inputs for the coax in which are a true 75 Ohms, unlike RCA's which are not and can cause reflections in a S/PDIF signal. I haven't been this excited about DIY and audio gear in a long time. (Well, since the Lenco turntable project anyway:biggrin:). Yes it should only be about the music, but to paraphrase Freddie Mercury, I Want It All, and I Want It Now!:cheesygrin:
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Way to go! Man when I listen to the i2s from the flac files I really like this digital sound. I know its because of the TPA buffalo. I have seen quad setups! Wholly shi-! Have fun with the build. What case are you going to use?
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one, Rich!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2012
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Way to go! Man when I listen to the i2s from the flac files I really like this digital sound. I know its because of the TPA buffalo. I have seen quad setups! Wholly shi-! Have fun with the build. What case are you going to use?

Thanks to you both!

That quad Buffalo III DAC is sick! After this I may try building one of their less expensive DAC's for the 'putie. If it wasn't for the programming, I might tackle the Arduino control with a four line digital display. Waiting for TP to finish their control someday along with the hi-res USB module. I may do AES/EBU, two coax via BNC, and possibly a USB input. The Sidecar allows for the fifth input, I2S/DSD.

Case wise, looking at the Modushop / Hifi 2000 Pesante in Black.

pesante_10mm.jpg

piastra_interna_pesante.jpg

You know about the heat, and I can get vented cover, lower panel and internal drilled base options. Their side cover heat sink options have me wondering about vertical mounting a Placid HD and Placid HD BP power supply on each side, attaching the regs to the sides below the PCB instead of the conventional board heat sinking. Fred did that with his DAC with Salas shunting supply, only using the base panel as the heat sink.

Modushop will work with Front panel express software. I'd like to get a nice CNC cut rear/front panel with silkscreened front panel. I just read about some language translation problems with them. The rear inputs/outputs I can always label using a PTouch. That worked well with Carl's Coronet II.

h24.jpg

I've looked at Par-Metal but they don't appear to offer the case venting options I'll need without machining. Same with Front Panel Express. You got any suggestions I can look at?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Rich, you could look at Bud industries chassis. There is a link Here. They are not the most "fit and finish" chassis in the world, but I got it because it was large enough and is very well ventilated. I hope this helps.

You DAC is going to be nice. Eventually, I would like to "upgrade" to the Buffalo III. I will do it probably not too long from now.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Wow Rich ya done gone and did it!Considering how good the standard config. sounds I'll be interested in your results with the tricked out DM version.

These Hammonds are solid (but ordinary looking) and have the option of top and bottom ventilation. http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg25.htm
  • doctorcilantro
    doctorcilantro Posts: 2,028
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Nice man, nice!
    For Sale 2019:
    Tortuga Audio LDR passive preamp
    Decware EL34 amp
    Allnic H-1201 phono
    Zu Union Cubes
    iFi iDSD DAC, .5m UBS, iFI Gemini cable, Oyaide Tunami XLR 1.3M, Oyaide Tunami Speaker wire 1.5M, Beyerdynamic DT1990 headphones, PS Audio P3 power center

• SCompRacer
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the enclosure suggestions and kind words!
    headrott wrote: »
    Eventually, I would like to "upgrade" to the Buffalo III. I will do it probably not too long from now.

If you have the Tridents on the BII all you get are more options with the BIII, IIRC? Fairly sure Russ posted that over at diyAudio.

My Twisted Pear dual mono Buffalo III DAC works! No smoke, flames or scary moments. (Just lots of heat). I did have quite a checklist to prevent issues. I fabbed a thin temporary enclosure sizing it to one of the larger size dual mono chassis folks have used (17" x 15.75"). I could pack things a bit tighter for a less deep enclosure, but width would stay the same. I do want to save a spot for a yet to be released hi-res USB input from Twisted Pear.

Configuration are two Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC's with two TP Legato output boards (fully discrete balanced active I/V line stages). The DAC/output boards are powered by two TP Placid HD BP and Placid HD shunting power supplies.

A 4-Channel S/PDIF input board with front mounted selector controls inputs. I just have coax in via a BNC connector right now. I'll probaby add an AES/EBU, another coax in and a USB input down the road. A fifth input named the Sidecar handles I2S (CD) and DSD (SACD) fed from a modified Denon 3910. A switch on rear activates the Sidecar which is between the 4 channel input board and DAC's. A TP Teleporter sends and receives the selected signal from the Denon through a Cat5 cable. The Sidecar and Teleporter are powered by one side of a TP LCDPS (low current dual power supply) 5v linear power supply. It uses one of the two secondaries from a toroidal that powers one of the Placid HD's.

Two TP Ventus EZ headphone amps handle balanced to single ended out (and offers future headphone out). A TP LCBPS (low current bipolar power supply) powers the Venus EZ's. I did use the volume control option in the ES9018 DAC chip. That happens in the digital domain and you don't take a SQ hit using it.

It is quiet and hum free. Going from the single to dual mono has been like going from a very good plain bowl of ice cream to one with all your favorite trimmings added. It was well worth the investment to me. Now it is time to get a nice chassis for it.

(Oh, Fred, that star ground for the power supplies/boards is mounted on a plastic standoff:wink:).

biii_proto_1.jpg

biii_proto_2.jpg
  • FTGV
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Impressive Rich.Did you experience solder fatigue?
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks Fred. More like wiring fatigue. I am partially color blind. :eek::cheesygrin:
  • FTGV
    edited September 2012
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I am partially color blind. :eek::cheesygrin:
    I can see how that might prove challenging.:eek:
    Screw the chassis,considering the heat it must be disipating just throw a plenum and duct work on it for some auxillary heating for those cold mid western winter nights.:wink:

btw.what's the VA rating on those trannies?
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2012
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    I can see how that might prove challenging.:eek:
    Screw the chassis,considering the heat it must be disipating just throw a plenum and duct work on it for some auxillary heating for those cold mid western winter nights.:wink:

btw.what's the VA rating on those trannies?

The wife checks up on my wiring from time to time.:cheesygrin: I worked under her daylight grow lights with mostly primary colors so I did good. Orange and Reds can kick my arse under Fluorescent lighting. I hear you on the heat. And it sure takes up some real estate.

The big ones are 30 VA, 15 x 15 Secondary, Secondary
    Current 1.0 A. The smaller ones are 15VA, 9 x 9, Secondary Current .83 A.
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2012
    Options
    ard_uno_4.jpg

Progress! Just before I left for Polkfest 2012 my Arduino UNO board and 4x20 LCD arrived. I slapped it together today on a breadboard and it works (on the bench anyway)!

I have HiFiDuino to thank (he has one great blog! His handle at diyAudio is glt).

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/introduction-and-guide-to-hifiduino/

glt wrote the code for controlling the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip via I2C (a two wire serial communication) and kindly makes it available to us 'codeless' individuals. I just have to go into the code and modify it for my BIII dual mono application. He even provides instruction on how to do that. The DIY community is very helpful in sharing Arduino code and things learned, like adding an even larger LCD display. Then I have to connect it to the DAC, remove the firmware chip and see if it still works. The kewl thing is this display/control adds no negative sonic qualities to the DAC.

So instead of dipswitch settings, serial code will set all options in the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip (the ES9018), along with volume control. Next up might be remote control.:cool: Case design is impatiently waiting though. They don't want to design a picture window LCD in the front panel unless it all works properly.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hot damn Rich, I'm gonna have to slap you just for being so damn good at what you do. Beautiful work and craftmanship pal. The only thing left to say is ....build me a dac would ya ?:cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Hey Tony! C'mon over, I could use a slap! Or a beer and listening session. Some of us think this is an outstanding DAC with no limitations on inputs or performance.

Thanks for the kind words but I'm just a bottom feeder on this Arduino control. I am getting some programming help from a fellow in Hong Kong and The Netherlands. One of them got some help from a fellow with the screen name DimDim. Talk about ironic or an oxymoron.....a go-to guy calls himself DimDim.

Due to the various input methods the DAC allows you have to know what to do with the code to make them inputs happen. (I was elated just to figure out all the proper dipswitch settings). I just can't get a handle on all the lingo yet.

A sample of the code.....

void writeSabreReg(byte regAddr, byte regVal)
    {
    Wire.beginTransmission(0x48); //Hard coded to the the Sabre/Buffalo device address
    Wire.write(regAddr); // Specifying the address of register
    Wire.write(regVal); // Writing the value into the register
    Wire.endTransmission();

#ifdef DUALMONO
    Wire.beginTransmission(0x49); //Hard coded to the the other Sabre/Buffalo device address
    Wire.write(regAddr); // Specifying the address of register
    Wire.write(regVal); // Writing the value into the register
    Wire.endTransmission();
    #endif DUALMONO

Before, I only knew registers was where the heat or cool air comes out of in a house, usally where the dog was laying.:cheesygrin:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Yeah man, I can see where all the techy lingo can have ya scratching your head. All I know is I wouldn't have the patience for it and commend your efforts in all that it takes to make something like this dac build happen. Truely you have some hidden talents, not so hidden anymore.:cheesygrin:

Give me a yell when you are are settled with that baby and decide to have a few slackers over for a listen. I'd pull a few chest hairs out and make the trip for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FTGV
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Hey Tony! C'mon over, I could use a slap! Or a beer and listening session. Some of us think this is an outstanding DAC with no limitations on inputs or performance.

T
    Dangerous offer Rich.You know that anyone who hears it will be wanting you to build them one.

Adding the LCD will be a nice touch.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Dangerous offer Rich.You know that anyone who hears it will be wanting you to build them one.

Adding the LCD will be a nice touch.

Hey Fred! IF I can get it to work.

The code is difficult for me. Not everyone is using the TP 4 channel S/PDIF input board with Sidecar, and I am lost how to get it to work. The Honk Kong connection is using Ian's FIFO board from diyAudio so his code won't work with the TP 4 channel card. The Netherlands guy is just using Sidecar(s) IIRC. I can change inputs with the encoder, it changes on the display, the volume works, I can change settings in the DAC chip, but no signal lock through any of the 4 S/PDIF inputs. If I trigger the Sidecar, I get lock from the CD player I2S out. And BOTH channels play.:cheesygrin:

The fellow in the Netherlands offered to look over my code and see if he can figure out the error of my ways. I'll send it tonight when I get home. The other thing I thought of is I might be missing a remapping code as there is a dipswitch for that. The manual selector would select any of the 4 S/PDIF inputs, so the I2C should.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Options
    ard_proto_1.jpg

ard_proto_2.jpg

We are in working prototype mode right now. I have a new found respect for programmers. 50 single sided pages of code to make this all work. Unlike switches and relays that don't care what color wire you use, how neat you did it, code has to be 100% correct or no worky.

A nice 24/96 hi-res vinyl rip of mine being played, Hats by The Blue Nile. From left to right, top to bottom, small font, displays input, type of file (SPDIF, I2S, DSD), oversampling on or off, sampling rate, Fir filter, Lir filter, DPLL bandwidth, DPLL mode, Quantizer setting, Notch delay and the big numbers, volume. A push of the encoder allows changes. You can save best values for each individual input, just set and forget. Dipswitches lock you into one setting and are not easily changed.

A BIG thanks to Corpius in The Netherlands for help with the code.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited October 2012
    Options
    So once you are done fidling with this prototype, you can churn out a couple a day?

Easy peasy, right?

:smile::lol::mrgreen:

I'll take one!

Great Job! can't wait to hear it

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Terrific job as usual Rich! Your DAC looks like it is approaching two chassis size. Any thoughts of isolating the power supply transformers in a separate chassis and case? Scottinwa may have some tips for you!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    So once you are done fidling with this prototype, you can churn out a couple a day?

Easy peasy, right?

:smile::lol::mrgreen:

I'll take one!

Great Job! can't wait to hear it

H9

Thanks Brock! I can sure complicate things, so don't count on production.:cheesygrin: We do need to hook up! Don't we go see Regina soon? Dana said she was accompanying me so I won't need that date.:twisted::lol:

The code works well; I can select all four S/PDIF inputs along with the external input fed by the modded Denon 3910 that exports I2S (CD) and DSD (SACD). The DAC input figures out if it is I2S or DSD. Tomorrow I will test some new code to activate a relay for the DAC's external input that is presently under manual control on the back of the DAC. After that, cut and print.

I ordered a small board that controls the LCD display. It eliminates many of the wires from the Arduino control currently needed to run it. Much simpler and neater. Corpius, whom has helped tremendously with the code, has designed a PCB with multiple options and headers that will make wiring the LCD even neater. He is having some made now.

schwarcw wrote: »
    Terrific job as usual Rich! Your DAC looks like it is approaching two chassis size. Any thoughts of isolating the power supply transformers in a separate chassis and case?

Hey Carl! Thanks! Some folks do a dual chassis but I think I will keep it all in one with the same layout. I won't go with a much smaller footprint that it is in now, especially with the added Arduino control with LCD. I've seen builds with barrier walls between components as well. I added a quality linear power supply for the Arduino (some wire an AC wall wart inside the case). You know how obsessed I am with a low noise floor and that I do have. No hiss, no hum, at all. Staying large will help spacing the hot running power supplies. The two for the DAC boards run ~60C, the two for the discrete output boards ~50C.

I am leaning toward staying with the 4x20 character LCD. I have no desire to redo the code for a larger display. The code has a neat option to minimize the menu options. The full menu is easily brought up if desired by pressing on the encoder. Maybe, I'll just add a remote...:cheesygrin:

ard_uno_6.jpg

ard_uno_5.jpg
  • FTGV
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Whoa!The cool factor is off the charts Rich.If I decide to expand beyond a single input I might give that a go.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I've been working lots of hours with little free time, but managed to add remote capability to my DAC. Once again I got help from Corpius in the Netherlands who has a Sidecar/4 input SPDIF board like my build. Origin of code was from HiFiDuino originally written for the Buffalo II DAC. We use an Apple remote which costs $20. It is a compact aluminum remote with a nice feel. It is pictured on the single sided stack of code I printed that makes all this possible.

remote.jpg

Still waiting for the custom shield (PCB) that will attach to the Arduino UNO board and simplify and neaten wiring to the LCD. A small I2C control board was added to the LCD screen which reduced the number of wires to print to the display to five wires. You get a slight delay in printing to screen compared to hard wired and have to replace the Arduino LCD library with one supplied by the folks at electroFUN.

http://www.electrofunltd.com/

I2CLCDextraIO_assemblyBotton_1.jpg

I made a short video of the remote in action. Volume, source select and ability to adjust all options in the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ2wb3H3rIQ&feature=youtu.be
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited October 2012
    Options
    So when do you start making productions units of this for forum members :wink:...

LOL, just kidding, pricing probably outside my wheelhouse, but once again super cool update. Its always fun to see the onward and upward climb of this massive build!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2012
    Options
    So when do you start making productions units of this for forum members :wink:...

Thanks for the kind words! Real soon now that I am past the hard parts. Just adding a USB module is next. Twisted Pear will eventually finish and release their controller board for the BIII and hopefully very soon their hi-res USB module. I got one standing order for a dual mono build similar to mine and a guy dibbed my DAC if/when I sell it.:cheesygrin:

The dual mono does push the price up. One could stay with a single BIII config, use linear power supplies. Twisted Pear also has some lower cost offerings such as their Opus. The Opus is based on Wolfson's fine WM8741 DAC chip. It offers options for I2S and DSD inputs, can be built in dual mono config and also be controlled with software.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/opus.aspx

HiFiDuino had interfaced to an Opus with the Arduino hardware/code.

• EndersShadow
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! Real soon now that I am past the hard parts. Just adding a USB module is next. Twisted Pear will eventually finish and release their controller board for the BIII and hopefully very soon their hi-res USB module. I got one standing order for a dual mono build similar to mine and a guy dibbed my DAC if/when I sell it.:cheesygrin:

The dual mono does push the price up. One could stay with a single BIII config, use linear power supplies. Twisted Pear also has some lower cost offerings such as their Opus. The Opus is based on Wolfson's fine WM8741 DAC chip. It offers options for I2S and DSD inputs, can be built in dual mono config and also be controlled with software.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/opus.aspx

HiFiDuino had interfaced to an Opus with the Arduino hardware/code.

Prices aren't nearly as bad as I thought. Might make it a viable option for me.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Damn Rich!

You need to figure out a way to mass produce that piece in India, China or somewhere. You will have so much money you could buy FedEx. You are the DAC king!
    Carl

• schwarcw
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Prices aren't nearly as bad as I thought. Might make it a viable option for me.

You might not see the whole picture. Rich's project is not cheap. It might cost as much as my whole system. That dual mono masterpiece is way out of my league!!
    Carl

• EndersShadow
    edited October 2012
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    You might not see the whole picture. Rich's project is not cheap. It might cost as much as my whole system. That dual mono masterpiece is way out of my league!!

Oh I know, but bought piece by piece in small chunks it doesnt look too ridiculously priced....
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2012
    Options
    My LCD shield arrived from the Netherlands so I was able to tidy up the display portion of my DAC project. The shield or PCB just required some header pins added to plug it directly into the Arduino UNO board and for harness connectors. Three harnesses connect the LCD, rotary encoder and IR receiver for the remote. Another harness (seen in the fourth picture) connects to the DAC board. You can see how the shield makes for a much neater install.

Other components mounted on the shield are the level converter that drops 5v down to 3.5 for the Buffalo III I2C (two wire serial control) header. Also on the shield is a MCP42010 two channel digital resistor to control LCD backlighting, also via remote. Up a couple of posts I had already added the I2C control of the LCD which makes for a significant reduction in wires to the LCD screen.

I got the shield from CE-designs and it ran me 5 euro or $6.47 plus postage.

http://ce-designs.net/index.php/shop/single-pcbs/buffalo-shield-detail

Aside from some fine tuning on the code, getting a nice enclosure is up next. In the final build, I'll add a USB cable/input so I can program the Arduino without removing the cover.

lcd_shield_1.jpg

lcd_shield_2.jpg

lcd_shield_3.jpg

lcd_shield_4.jpg