specialty cables...placebo effect or not

Options
2»

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I guess the best way to look at it is if it makes you happy, then it's worth it. I've never been a believer in high dollar cables or wires, but if a person hears/sees an improvement then more power to 'em.

Over the weekend I replaced my Monster sub cable with a Tributary (sp?) cable because I was picking up some static/noise. The Trib cable has better shielding but there was absolutly no change in the sound quality. I tried both cables, after re-routing the Monster cable away from my power cords and found zero difference. As for interconnects, I'm using AR cables, the shortest lengths possible and am very pleased with the audio/video. I did have 1 monster cable for component video for awhile but any time I touched the IC's I would end up up with a mostly blue image on the TV. Needless to say that cable has been replaced.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    When you're talking 2m you ARE going to pay a premium. Why 2m? I'm sure you've explained it before, I just can't recall. ;)

$800 is too rich for me. I think I'll top out at around $300.

There has to be a sweet spot of value vs performance. Personally, I think the Hero's are a very good performer at a modest price. At the time I bought them, they were out my price range. Now, I have better components and in the future I will be looking for a new set of I/Cs.

The way I see it, why spend $1500 on a new amp to get to the next level of performance when I can still gain improvements by upgrading cables that will cost me $300. It doesn't have the WOW factor of a new component but improvements are improvements, right? :)

I'd need a 2m because my amp isn't close to the receiver. 1m is to short. yeah, i could move the amp closer to the receiver. but then i'd lose the fung shui, and that would interfere with the karma of the room :rolleyes:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I'd buy a $800.00 IC cable (actually I did), but I buy them used or get them from a dealer that sells new at 50% off list. Does it put the cheaper ones I had before to shame? Depends, it puts my old Monster stuff to shame, but not the cheaper MIT's that I had before. Is it better than the old MIT's, yes.

Will a high-end cable make a bad set up sound better? Depends, it may help bring out the best or it will make the bad even worse.

Since I only run a SACD player, I need just one pair of IC's. If I had more sources I'd have to take that on a case by case basis.

There is no right or wrong, but I'd say buy the best you can afford or what seems reasonable to you.

Al,

IC's come in 1.5M lengths too, if that's any help.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Since I only run a SACD player, I need just one pair of IC's. If I had more sources I'd have to take that on a case by case basis.

There is no right or wrong, but I'd say buy the best you can afford or what seems reasonable to you.

Al,

IC's come in 1.5M lengths too, if that's any help.

Ummmm... if you are running a SACD player.. doesn't that require 6 RCA's. or three pairs? That's how I have my DVD-audio player set up. 6 RCA's.

and yeah you're right.. several IC's come in 1.5M lengths.

thanks, Al
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    yeah, i could move the amp closer to the receiver. but then i'd lose the fung shui, and that would interfere with the karma of the room :rolleyes:
    Now there's a book screaming to be written.... Audio Fung Shui... lol...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2003
    Options
    SACD needs 6 only if you want to run multi-channel.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    2 channel for me, thank you very much.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    2 channel for me, thank you very much.

OK. it's cool. i couldn't listen to multichannel audio in two channel. kind of defeats the purpose of a multichannel player, right?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    i couldn't listen to multichannel audio in two channel. kind of defeats the purpose of a multichannel player, right?

No, not really. I RARELY listen to any of my SACDs in multichannel. Usually just the 2 channel track. A few exceptions are recordings like DSOTM but for the most part the multi-channel portion of my CD player (and the other 4 ICs) goes unused.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I find this interesting... i knew there was a stereo layer on SACD's. but i didn't know many people actually listen to them. i guess i was mistaken.

I guess in my mind listening to a SACD in stereo would be more like a regular redbook CD. So i prefer all 6 channels of sound in the multichannel format. I've never even thought to listen to the stereo track.

I think my CD player with it's external DAC could.. only saying could come close to a stereo layer of SACD in sound. I know DVD-a audio's hi rez multichannel layer is way superb to most anything in stereo.. even the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs gold cd's. which are awesome btw.

ok. guys i have to do SOME work today..

laterz, AL
  • danger boy
    edited November 2003
    Options
    one last thing. when hooking up your SACD player.. do you use the analog L&R outs.. or do you use only the L&R from the multichannel analogs?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Sony's flagship SACD player...the $5,000 SCD-1 is a 2 channel only SACD player and Sony's newest upcomming SACD SCD-DR1 is also only 2 channel.

Then you have this little jewel:

shanling_scdt200_side.jpg

the Shanling SCD-T200 Valve SACD Player which is only 2 channel. There are quite a few "high-end" 2 channel SACD players out there.

While I don't have anything close to any one of these palyers my experience is the SACD 2-channel is surperior to most all redbook and usually as good as or BETTER than the MF type CD for a lot less $.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Al,

On my old Sony XA777ES to play 2 channel you had to use analog L&R, I'm not sure about yours.

I think in the audiophile community that 2 channel still rules for music and that multi-channel is considered only for HT.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2003
    Options
    You need to use the L/R Analog outputs for 2CH, not the multi-channel outputs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.