Coax to Optical interconnect?

Options
Terrax
Terrax Posts: 483
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
Is there anyway to use a coax output to a optical input? My panny receivers coax input quit working and I only have coax out on my Asus A7N8X Dlx motherboard in my computer. The receiver has plenty of optical inputs, so if any of you know of a way to convert coax to optical, please let me know.
Post edited by Terrax on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    very doubtful it can be done. optical is light based.. coax is not. highly unlikely it can be done. maybe it wouldn't cost to much to get the Panny fixed?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Think it's possible there is something "out there" that can convert. While db's right that the communication is via light vs. current, both are just "on/off" signals...

Sure enough a search on "optical coax converter" spit this $25 candidate out...
    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=580&template=audio

Of course you could just get your PC to spit out an optical signal. I found this in a search for "PC optical output"...
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article.php?threadid=3903
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlconv&1071616184&class&3&4&

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. This box will take light pipe in eliminate jitter and output to digital coax.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Tour2ma, the converter is exactly what I was looking for. And 25 bucks is not too bad a price to pay ether.

Thanks again, for all the replys.

Terry
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Terrax,
    You're welcome.

Henry,
    Never even thought about using an AA DTI to convert. Need to play with that some with the one I have...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I stand corrected... i just never thought it would be possible.. but anything is possible these days. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: