edited July 2012 in Electronics
Post edited by leroyjr1 on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Beasty.
    The XPR-5 requires a 20 Amp circuit and standard IEC 20 Amp outlet (which is different than a 15 Amp outlet).If you don’t have a proper circuit and outlet, we recommend you have one installed by a qualified electrician.We recommend that the XPR-5 be plugged into its own dedicated 20 Amp circuit.

I dig my XPA-5 a lot, for HT; I'd imagine that the XPR is better... not sure if it'd be worth double the money though... you might be better off with a "more refined" 250 WPC amp than this bad boy, depending on your speakers. The XPA-5 is hard to argue with for 809 bucks new... but the XPR, at 1800, draws some serious competition.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • VTO888
    VTO888 Posts: 72
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Looks sexy. I hope all of their up comming amps are this design!
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2012
    Options
    What a beast... that amp weighs as much as my girl.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Beasty.

I dig my XPA-5 a lot, for HT; I'd imagine that the XPR is better... not sure if it'd be worth double the money though... you might be better off with a "more refined" 250 WPC amp than this bad boy, depending on your speakers. The XPA-5 is hard to argue with for 809 bucks new... but the XPR, at 1800, draws some serious competition.

I agree. Its interesting to see them put out something so expensive. They also were talking about their XPR 7 which I'm sure is going to go for more than 2K as I thought the 1800 is the sale price and 2K is normal.

Personally I would rather invest 2K into a overall better amp such as Parasound etc. Heck for that price new you could easily do some really nice amps. I guess I don't see too many people really needing something this powerful for their HT use.

To me it feels more like a we just want to put something out with the most watts we can get out of it type feel to it.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I get a chuckle from the absurd marketing speak, like Tiffany style connectors. They are trying to be boutique using blue collar parts and design, that never works. I also like how originally Emo gear was "Reference", apparently only this amp is now truly "Reference".

I'm sure the followers will eat it up like it's crack.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I get a chuckle from the absurd marketing speak, like Tiffany style connectors. They are trying to be boutique using blue collar parts and design, that never works. I also like how originally Emo gear was "Reference", apparently only this amp is now truly "Reference".

I'm sure the followers will eat it up like it's crack.

H9

lol, yea, marketing speak can be pretty funny... like this quote about the LSiM's:
    When you go from riding a bicycle to driving a car, it's surprising how fast you can travel. When you go from driving a car to piloting a jet, you're surprised all over again at how fast you can travel. You see where we're going with this?

Fortunately for me, and Polk Audio, I'm more interested in the product they make than the marketing that surrounds it; I maintain a similar sentiment for this new Emo piece. I've compared their amps to many of the "usual suspect" amps that other brands offer. Emotiva will never have a place in my 2-channel rig, but HT is another story.

Discounting Emotiva is a funny flaw that many "audiophiles" have.. especially those who have never A/B 'd their gear vs. other brands. Emotiva has a share of the market for a reason, and it ain't their marketing.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • heiney9
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Eh, I would consider them for an all HT system if they weren't so ugly to look at. I am not questioning their actual position in the market, just that they seem to feel they can go up market, which I think is a mistake because A) they might abandon the market they currently have B) not sure they can compete in the arena because of well established, heavy competition that in many cases is better (preferred).

I have A/B'd them and they don't compete very well even against some of the older, middle of the road audio gear. None of the designs or manufacturing is doing anything different, just rehashing the same old topologies and putting them in fancy cases with lights and meters that do nothing. I am sorry, but that stuff doesn't impress me or even look good.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited July 2012
    Options
    lol, yea, marketing speak can be pretty funny... like this quote about the LSiM's:

Fortunately for me, and Polk Audio, I'm more interested in the product they make than the marketing that surrounds it; I maintain a similar sentiment for this new Emo piece. I've compared their amps to many of the "usual suspect" amps that other brands offer. Emotiva will never have a place in my 2-channel rig, but HT is another story.

Discounting Emotiva is a funny flaw that many "audiophiles" have.. especially those who have never A/B 'd their gear vs. other brands. Emotiva has a share of the market for a reason, and it ain't their marketing.

I agree with you completely. The same occured with with SVS subs when they first came out, and now they are loved by many. Loved by many on this forum as well. The difference is I have tried SVS, and still think they are **** in a coffin sized box. I have nothing against SVS or Emo as I look forward to this new amp. Everyone starts somewhere and improve as time goes by. This Emo I could do, it is HT! But the SVS... Personal preference... If I like this Emo over my B&K HT amp, it will be sold in the flea market shortly after. For 2 channel? Tubes are the only way to go.. But what do I know, except what I like?
  • heiney9
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Again, for HT I'd atleast consider their amps and if they ever get the bugs worked out of the pre/pro's then I'd consider that too. Have they ever released a pre/pro that wasn't plagued with problems?

H9
  • Drenis
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Again, for HT I'd atleast consider their amps and if they ever get the bugs worked out of the pre/pro's then I'd consider that too. Have they ever released a pre/pro that wasn't plagued with problems?

H9

They have yet to release the XMC-1 which should be better then the crappy UMC-1.

FWIW, I'd like to try the Mini X-A100 Int. Amp for a desktop setup.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Oooooooh, look at the pretty blue lights.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Looks like a Polkie purchased one, but what's with the weird power connector to run the thing?

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=amps&action=display&thread=25055
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Looks like it's a 220 volt plug, if thats the case, some are going to be very disappointed when they get this sucker home.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tankman
    Tankman Posts: 419
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Your looking at an Electrician to come over too your home thats about 1g!Get this one and forget about it!Attachment not found.:wink:$3995.00
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited July 2012
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »
    I agree with you completely. The same occured with with SVS subs when they first came out, and now they are loved by many. Loved by many on this forum as well. The difference is I have tried SVS, and still think they are **** in a coffin sized box. I have nothing against SVS or Emo as I look forward to this new amp. Everyone starts somewhere and improve as time goes by. This Emo I could do, it is HT! But the SVS... Personal preference... If I like this Emo over my B&K HT amp, it will be sold in the flea market shortly after. For 2 channel? Tubes are the only way to go.. But what do I know, except what I like?

This is quite the entertainment. The things that Crown 16 gets me to say....
  • Tankman
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Attachment not found.$1799.00,+1g for the Electman too come out to ya home for the hookup.:wink:
  • Tankman
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Um,i am all about the deal,but spending 3 to 4 g's on a audio amp is not for me but some or should i say lots of audio enthusiast do thats all good but when you have too get an Electman out too your home? Come on man!lolo.
  • falconcry72
    edited July 2012
    Options
    ... I am sorry, but that stuff doesn't impress me or even look good.

H9

I feel you. Luckily the XPA-5 lets you turn off the (5) status LED's. The power button is the only thing lit up on, but damn it's bright!

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Looks like a Polkie purchased one, but what's with the weird power connector to run the thing?

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=amps&action=display&thread=25055

The amp requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit to run optimally. The connector is just a standard 20 amp connector. The amp itself runs on 115V or 230V, switchable.

Having a dedicated circuit for an amp this powerful is a good idea, and someone buying an amp this powerful might already have a 20 amp circuit installed. Having the outlet setup to have that connector might not be the case though. Emotiva should make it clearer in their marketing that the amp requires a 20 amp circuit though. It's mentioned in the specs, but not clear up front and might prompt buyers to send the thing back once they find out the amp won't work as sent to them unless they hire an electrician to upgrade the power source. There are other amps that have similar power connector requirements. Krell comes to mind.
  • Drenis
    edited July 2012
    Options
    If an electrician charges you a grand to install one 20 amp circuit, you're getting ripped off.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    If an electrician charges you a grand to install one 20 amp circuit, you're getting ripped off.

I totally agree.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2012
    Options

I agree. And, if someone is looking to buy a multi-channel amp with that high a power output for their home theater, it was probably a good idea for them to have had a dedicated 20 amp circuit previously installed anyway.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2012
    Options
    It only requires a standard 110v, 20a line and outlet, something every audiophile should have already.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tankman
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Don't know about what an Electrician goes for where your at,but just too hook up a 220 with all the hardwear for a dryer in my home was over $550.00.Yeah it could run well over a G if the run is over 100ft to your Elect box.Getting ripped off is paying 3 to 5 g's for a amp..lolo
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Getting ripped off is paying 3 to 5 g's for a amp

No, it's not. Getting ripped off is paying $1800.00 and thinking you are getting truly "Reference".
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tankman
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Attachment not found.@F1nut.what you know about this guy,BK Butler?..I am think of getting this one for my 2.1 set up.I like what this guys has done with the tube's at the end of the output stage the spec's are great on it and its not a lot of money.By the way just jackin around about the amp's.Well thats his 5 x 150 in 8 ohms,but he does have one that is 250 watts X 2 into 8 ohms.
  • Drenis
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Tankman wrote: »
    Don't know about what an Electrician goes for where your at,but just too hook up a 220 with all the hardwear for a dryer in my home was over $550.00.Yeah it could run well over a G if the run is over 100ft to your Elect box.Getting ripped off is paying 3 to 5 g's for a amp..lolo

Electricians can charge whatever they like be it you contract services from a company or know someone who is licensed and will do it for a better price. However, you're commenting on what you paid to have a 220v line installed. That's not necessary with this type of application. Did you read Face's comment?
    Face wrote: »
    It only requires a standard 110v, 20a line and outlet, something every audiophile should have already.

Means a new 20a breaker and wire run to a new box where a 20a receptacle is installed. It's not much different then how a 15a circuit is run.
  • Tankman
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @Drenis..Lolo..Dude i was jackin around about the amps!..LOLO..Yeah i read the post and everyones post too.I would bet that the people posting about Emotivas Amp or #1 Associated with a Pro Shop and sell gear or#2 they are in retail sales selling audio/video gear.As for which amp is "Referece" i could give a rats ****..lolo.Getting into a pissing contest about which elect dude will charge for his work well you get the point.I have a good friend who has a nice Krell that he paid a stupid amount of bucks for.
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Tankman release's his opinion on several subjects,but is just "jackin" about all things! Are u 12 or 13? Christ dude! I read your post's,and i'm embarressed for you! "LOLO" And who the Fu** is LOLO? A Girlfriend of your's or WTF?
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • Tankman
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @bobsauto49 Did you read the other post?Most people are jackin around about Emotivas new amp.If your embarressed about something i posted to bad for you!.There are three guys in here who posted something about that amp who really know more about amps then most anyone on this forum and they are Ole Timers who have help out lots of people in here.I see nothing wrong with what i have posted some if the post was ment as a joke.:cheesygrin: