Power Supply Upgrade for Squeezebox Touch

Options
audiocr381ve
audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
edited February 2013 in Going Digital
Channel Islands is out of stock and the only other aftermarket power supply I see available is the one from Valab on eBay. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Post edited by audiocr381ve on

Comments

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I know Scompracer and some others use this and seem to be pleased with build quality and performance.Apparently they can be a bit flaky to deal with though. http://www.welbornelabs.com/squeeze.htm
  • audiocr381ve
    edited June 2012
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    I know Scompracer and some others use this and seem to be pleased with build quality and performance.Apparently they can be a bit flaky to deal with though. http://www.welbornelabs.com/squeeze.htm

Thanks FTGV. Do you know if the kit is hard to assemble?
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I got mine from Welborne after some folks here had experienced less-than-stellar customer service. My order was processed and shipped fairly quickly and communication was fine. The price of the Welborne was difficult for me to swallow (no way I could stomach the CI cost), but I'm glad I did it and would do it again. Would use Welborne again too. Dunno if anyone has ordered since then.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • FTGV
    edited June 2012
    Options
    . Do you know if the kit is hard to assemble?
    Should be very simple for someone with decent soldering skills.If in doubt buy the assembled unit and save yourself some possible grief.
  • audiocr381ve
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Cool, thanks guys.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Will this work?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGP100

I used CIAUDIO VCA-9 upgrade for my Wadia 171, and the improvement is not subtle. However, Music Direct no longer carries it, but while looking for it I found this, which appears to meet your need.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4989-ciaudio-vdc-sb-squeezebox-high-current-power-supply.aspx
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FTGV
    edited June 2012
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    That looks to be for specific MF and Cambridge models only.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The Welborne Lab's kit is easy to assemble. Hardest part of assembly would be the umbilical power cord; the small diameter connector that plugs into the Touch. IIRC you have to watch the height of the caps (keep them close to the board), as you slide the board into slots in the chassis.

ps1.jpg

EDIT: I recall them being short the Techflex covering for the umbilical. They sent the kit and said they would mail out the Techflex, and they did a week later.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • chandler9a
    chandler9a Posts: 877
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Shane, check out the Gon. I believe there is a Channel Island unit for sale there. I could be wrong.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm pulling this thread back to life :)

Has anyone tried a power supply like this from Elpac? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELPAC-POWER-SYSTEMS-SOLV-30-5-N-OVP-5V-6A-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-/290821860664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b6556d38

I know the current rating is over-kill, but it's 5V DC, and should work when mounted in a case? It's not fancy, but it should provide much better power than the supplied wallwart.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

$T2eC16JHJIQE9qUHrV7IBQiT9ksCjQ~~60_57.JPG