All the Polk SDA upgrades located in one place!

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    I nominate this modification as an upgrade and predict it will become a staple here...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195562/must-try-mod-foam-inside-the-stamped-steel-baskets-yes/p1
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    ^A very bad idea, to be avoided at all cost^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I'm posting this here as well.

There's an aspect about doing modifications that hasn't been addressed yet and should be given serious consideration, reversibility.

Crossovers - can be easily reversed or the hack jobs that some do can be redone properly.

Spikes - easily reversed.

BH5 - easily reversed.

Rings - can be reversed by changing the mounting hole locations.

Gaskets - stock is still best, but damaged ones must be replaced. Avoid Mortite.

Binding posts - cannot be reversed, but there's no real reason to do so. Can be changed to ones you prefer.

Dynamat Xtreme - unless one has unnecessarily covered every square inch it can be removed with little effort.

Tweeter plates - easily reversed.

Gluing the magnets - should never be reversed.

Phase plugs - cannot be reversed.

Foam lining the basket - good luck getting that crap out. BTW, that foam will turn to dust one day and make a big mess.

External cabinet mods - may or may not be reversed depending on what was done.

Reasons to consider reversibility. You may not like the results and they don't make these anymore. You may wish or need to sell the speakers at some point and potential buyers may be put off by what you've done resulting in a serious negative impact on the value.
    Post edited by F1nut on

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I will put my 2c in. Life is short and the CIC says we are closer to Armageddon than ever before in history (I hope people read this 2 years from now and laugh). Why worry about what some nervous nellie in the future might be concerned about (before they do a listen test), when you could have X amount of years more of enjoying your music more than you ever have before. Even the high end vintage Polks go for dirt cheap in the aftermarket in my opinion, no matter what.

PS: When giving an opinion on a mod, one should disclose whether or not one has tried said mod. That's all I gots ta say bout that! :)
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    Options
    PS: When giving an opinion on a mod, one should disclose whether or not one has tried said mod. That's all I gots ta say bout that!
    As I have previously stated, that mod defies logic. One doesn't have to try jumping off a bridge to know it's a very bad idea.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Richard Vandersteen didn't advise jumping off a bridge in the patent I referenced previously. Or maybe I missed that part. I am losing track of how many have tried the mod now. So far no negatives, all positives. Some have PM'd me with strongly positive superlatives which I will leave to those individuals if they want to share their experiences on the forum or not.

PS: Most audiophiles prefer to avoid drama and enjoy their music peacefully.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    Exactly how many? Judging by what I've seen most to all are newbies that are blindly following bad advice.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Most audiophiles prefer to avoid drama and enjoy their music peacefully.
    When I see bad advice I will call it out. The real question is why are you are pushing this idea so hard?!?

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    They are not all "newbies" to the Polk forum. One of those is even a lifetime musician with a highly trained ear.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    How many?

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Not many yet, but as I said I don't have an accurate tally. It doesn't matter because you will discount all of their experiences lol. Not gonna argue bout this anymore. Everyone enjoy their hobby the way they see fit :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Most audiophiles prefer to avoid drama and enjoy their music peacefully.
    When I see bad advice I will call it out. The real question is why are you are pushing this idea so hard?!?

My egregious behavior can only be explained by wanting other audiophiles to enjoy this very high bang for the buck mod. It is selfish of me to want to see them enjoy it like I am. Oh and I should disclose that I have thrown all my loose cash into foam manufacturers stocks (shhh!) :)

How can you be so certain that you are saving people from this, without trying it? Why are you so vociferously negative?

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    I am losing track of how many have tried the mod now.

Losing track of how many indicates a large number.
    Not many yet, but as I said I don't have an accurate tally.

Not many shouldn't be hard to lose track of and to be fair, you didn't say that.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited October 2022
    Options
    F1nut, you spoke too soon...The phase plugs ARE reverseable. I've reversed a set and will reverse another set soon to design a copper shorting ring pole-piece for the vintage MWs...a real LEGEND driver if you will.
    Post edited by xschop on
  • F1nut
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    You spoke too soon...The phase plugs ARE reverseable. I've reversed a set and will reverse another set soon to design a copper shorting ring pole-piece for the vintage MWs...a real LEGEND driver if you will.

Well, I stand corrected. I figured once glued on they weren't coming off.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    I thought so as well.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    When the drivers are taken apart there is nothing to prevent a threaded hole in both the pole piece and the phase plug, allowing it to be screwed on with a small threaded stud. The first one Rob made was built that way, as a matter of fact.

Rob, this will be another advantage of your driver mod service as an all in one solution set vs. people doing it themselves and needing to do the thread locker adhesive method.

The copper shorting rings is a really intriguing idea and should reduce distortion further at higher volumes, if it pans out.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options
    I have a method that doesn't require pole-piece removal ;)
  • xschop
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm posting this here as well.

There's an aspect about doing modifications that hasn't been addressed yet and should be given serious consideration, reversibility.

Crossovers - can be easily reversed or the hack jobs that some do can be redone properly.

Spikes - easily reversed.

BH5 - easily reversed.

Rings - can be reversed by changing the mounting hole locations.

Gaskets - stock is still best, but damaged ones must be replaced. Avoid Mortite.

Binding posts - cannot be reversed, but there's no real reason to do so. Can be changed to ones you prefer.

Dynamat Xtreme - unless one has unnecessarily covered every square inch it can be removed with little effort.

Tweeter plates - easily reversed.

Gluing the magnets - should never be reversed.

Phase plugs - cannot be reversed.

Foam lining the basket - good luck getting that crap out. BTW, that foam will turn to dust one day and make a big mess.

External cabinet mods - may or may not be reversed depending on what was done.

Reasons to consider reversibility. You may not like the results and they don't make these anymore. You may wish or need to sell the speakers at some point and potential buyers may be put off by what you've done resulting in a serious negative impact on the value.

Almost anything is reversible. I believe most people understand and accept modifications as it relates to these old speakers. I wont lose ANY sleep over anything I do to my own or other's speakers at their request. Value is what anybody perceives about anything, at any given time. The majority of the classic Porsches I've designed conversion parts for e.g. GM, Toyota, Ford, and an even a Honda engine, are still on the road today and even have tripled in their value according to their owners that I still have contact with.

Matt Polk said to experiment, therefore I feel obliged.

• Gardenstater
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I have a method that doesn't require pole-piece removal ;)

I might've known you'd come up with something like that 🤣
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • davevives
    Options
    The link currently leads to a Honda Dealership page! If you put in just the main .com url it goes to malaware. Has it been relocated?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited October 2023
    Options
    davevives wrote: »
    it goes to malaware.

Did you install it?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • davevives
    Options
    I'm just trying to learn my way around my SRS SDA 2.3s and this thread looked like it was going to be THE resource to start understanding and learning, but the link is dead/leading to dangerous places. Any direction would be appreciated. If there is a comprehensive guide to restoring and troubleshooting, I haven't found it yet.

The tweeters on my right speaker keep cutting in and out. I checked the polyswitch and it has already been bypassed by their previous owner. If I give the cab a loving slap they sometimes kick back in. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of re-capping the crossovers to try and solve the issue while also giving them a new life, but I'm also having trouble finding resources on that.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    I did take my site down in 2020
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You have an intermittent short somewhere. Those are hard to track down, but I'd start with the tweeter connection on the crossover.

This forum is FULL of crossover upgrade info. What specifically are you not clear about?

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I did take my site down in 2020

Can I ask why? Back when I was learning all I could about my RT3000p I found lots of people referencing your site (I think for T/S of the midrange and subwoofer) and it was down.

If you happen to have lots of the specs and details on the RT3000p/their components you should definitely consider maybe perhaps possibly sending them my way.
  • VR3
    Options
    My daughter was born and I wanted to reduce my builds to only what came thru email versus the website and email. I just wouldn't be able and didn't want to do 6 or 7 builds at a time anymore. One or two is good and fun and manageable!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    I never worked on a set of rt3000p but I do know the crossover is pretty basic
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I never worked on a set of rt3000p but I do know the crossover is pretty basic

It's not too complicated but I'll definitely be designing my own PCB for my XO rebuilds. If not, I'll at least use perf board.
  • VR3
    Options
    Point to point is the only way to go, imo