DIY coffee table made from old mixer

ambiophonics
ambiophonics Posts: 726
edited December 2012 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So I've been given an older Allen & Heath mixing console - model SR424 which I am planning to make a unique glass topped coffee table out of. I have never done much woodworking but figured this may be a project to get my feet wet. Any ideas on how to begin? I have thought about building a box around the mixer with a routered edge to hold the glass in place and then add some metal legs to get it up to height, or possibly just add legs to the sturdy mixer case itself and find a way to support a 1/4" pane of glass directly on top of the mixer. I'm just not sure how to proceed. I'm going for a modern and sleek look to match the decor. Any suggestions, input, advice would be very much appreciated. I will try to post some photos of the mixing board when I'm on they computer as I don't think I can post from the phone. Thanks!
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
Post edited by ambiophonics on

Comments

• ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    photos
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.JPG
    1.jpg 110.3K
    2.jpg 112.8K
    3.JPG 398.8K
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited June 2012
    photos
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.JPG

I'd use a "black & white" gel of some sort under the glass because those colors could really be hard to work with in a room. Cool idea!
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited June 2012
    I second the Gel suggestion. Something to match the decor. A&H Grey does nothing for the decorator in me at all.

Or make it more of a shadow box and add a light to highlight it with a clear glass top. Then at least it will add to the ambiance instead of take away color from the room. Like this one I found online. The glass is set into the frame holding the mixer.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV2plI9dUxyMmkPdZiQl2yUbi8D42HC870v2Sp5cjCDzPYpXnN9Q
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    edited June 2012
    Far be it for me to be a voice of reason here. And I applaud your willingness to get your DIY feet wet. But have you checked the value of this console? Just for starters.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-SR-424-24x4x2-Mixer-with-Case-and-Power-Supply-Working-Condition-/320921193130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab864caaa
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2012
    halo71 wrote: »
    Far be it for me to be a voice of reason here. And I applaud your willingness to get your DIY feet wet. But have you checked the value of this console? Just for starters.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-SR-424-24x4x2-Mixer-with-Case-and-Power-Supply-Working-Condition-/320921193130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab864caaa

No doubt.
    If shipping didn't kill the deal, I would have some interest in it myself!

Nice project, I would really like to see the results.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the replies - I'll keep you posted on the results. I would use/sell the mixer but it needs some pretty serious cleaning and requires a bit of an odd power supply, positive/negative 15 volts plus 48 volts for the phantom power, which are few and far between. I don't plan to alter it in any way that would make it unusable in the future but would love to showcase it in the meantime!
  • Joe08867
    edited June 2012
    So your building a storage case for it that people can place a coffee mug on if they need too.

Good Luck,
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2012
    Very cool idea!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    Pics or it didn't happen...

well it hasn't happened yet but here's what I have done so far.

First picture is the top frame which has a 1/4" lip to hold the glass
    Second picture is a close up of the frame corner
    Third Picture is The side rails which will go around the mixer (bottom view)
    Fourth Picture is a close up of the mitered corner of the side rail (bottom view)

Last picture is before I glued the side rails together, checking the rough fit with the mixer sitting inside.

The side rails have a 3/8" x 3/4" rail on the bottom edge which will allow a large piece of plywood to sit flush inside that lip. That piece of ply will be the bottom of the coffee table and have the legs attached. The top frame and side rails will be glued together next, then it'll be time to add the led lights and build a +/- 15V power supply so we can make the meters dance!
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    Oh - should have mentioned, I built the frame to fit a piece of glass a friend gave me... glass is expensive and this is my first attempt at woodworking so I figured I may as well go cheap.
  • Joe08867
    edited June 2012
    Looks great so far. Add some little led lights to make it pop. Did I say that already?

Oh well must have been a good idea.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,532
    edited June 2012
    Very cool! I'm digging the lights idea, what color are you going to stain it?
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    I'm not sure about he stain... I was thinking about just putting a poly on it to protect it. I've been told any glue residue will mess up a stain and I'm sure I've got some glue near and around the joints... I don't know if I could just sand that out and stain or if it would cause it to look bad. Any advice? I still need to find some cool legs for it also, possibly something metal.
  • Joe08867
    edited June 2012
    Sand it out and stain it. Something that matches a color on the board. Like a deep Red or whatever color the Pots are. Looks reddish or orange red. Something to get them to blend with each other.

It will make them pop.
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    Weekend update:

Everything is glued together, sanded, and filled. The stain has just been applied, although I'm undecided about a 2nd coat. Things aren't perfect by any means but it will be functional.
    P6240003.jpg
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    After looking at it some more, I'm not very happy with the stain. I think I may try to figure out how to paint it instead.
  • Joe08867
    edited June 2012
    Did you give it a second coat? It usually comes out with a second coat.

The color looks good.

What color would you paint it?
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    That's just one coat so far. It just doesn't look real even in person, sorta blotchy, and you can see all of the blemishes now... Where some glue was on the corner joints, some scuffs on the top from sanding... Perhaps I expect too much from a loaned router and chop saw.

If I painted it I would probably go with a medium light blue.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2012
    This is a very cool idea, I think it will look great!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    P6250154.JPG
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    Still need to coat with a poly, add some permanent legs, and tidy up the wiring... but it's assembled!

P6260179.JPG

P6260171.JPG

P6260176.JPG

P6260178.JPG
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited June 2012
    Looks great. I'm glad you didn't go with the blue paint idea. Even better after a coat of poly.
  • Joe08867
    edited June 2012
    Looks great, I agree the stain makes it pop. Nice job.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2012
    If that thing didn't fit perfectly with your decor, then i don't know what would.

Came out nice. Did you use a pre stain conditioner prior to staining. That would of cut down on the "Blotchy" effect you were getting.

Nice job!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joe08867
    edited June 2012
    mrbiron wrote: »
    If that thing didn't fit perfectly with your decor, then i don't know what would.

Came out nice. Did you use a pre stain conditioner prior to staining. That would of cut down on the "Blotchy" effect you were getting.

Nice job!

So now you tell him that? :cheesygrin:
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2012
    Nice concept, nice build!

"In case of emergency, Break glass!" :smile:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • ambiophonics
    edited June 2012
    I use a pre stain as I was warned that pine does not take stain well but it still ended up a bit inconsistent. Thanks for the replies and positive words. I'm still searching for legs...
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2012
    It looks good, but it would be way cooler if you fed some of your audio channels through it so you could command your system with the largest coffee table remote in the land......a simple connection would get you at least volume through the main sliders.

I install A & H mixers in a numbers of my installs, those Brits have some strange design thoughts, but make decent gear.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,169
    edited June 2012
    I like it, I find my self wanting it...
  • bencorn
    bencorn Posts: 49
    edited July 2012
    That looks awesome. I know it's been mentioned before but some led's under the glass would really make it stand out. People pay really good money for unique furniture pieces like that.