New woofer for PSW-300?

audio_alanaudio_alan Posts: 770
edited June 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Hey everyone, my friend just bought a set of older Polk speakers that included a PSW-300. The plate amp seems fine, but the woofer is shot. I looked at Polk's product page for that sub, but don't know if it's a 8 ohm driver or not.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/psw300/

Any suggestions on a cheap replacement? He told me that he doesn't want to sink more to $30-$40 into it though. If it's more, he'll probably just look for a different sub...

I was thinking of suggesting one of these to him:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-315
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-486

Thanks.
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• jon sjon s Posts: 922
    edited June 2012
    IMHO, it's not worth repairing a PSW300... It's a bandpass design which limits bass output. I have one and it distorts easily at moderate volumes. What's wrong with the driver? usually, the spider separates from the cone due to a poor adhesive. You can use a superglue to reattach the spider if this is the case.
  • audio_alanaudio_alan Posts: 770
    edited June 2012
    Jon - Yeah, the spider came unglued (sounds like a common thing with that model). But even holding it together, the cone still makes a rubbing sound. I'm thinking the voice coil might be warped or something as well, basically making the woofer a lost cause at this point.

My friend thought it might be fun to try getting a cheap woofer just to see if he could get it functional and maybe flip it for a little extra money if he doesn't like it.
  • SyndilSyndil Posts: 1,591
    edited June 2012
    jon s wrote: »
    IMHO, it's not worth repairing a PSW300... It's a bandpass design which limits bass output. I have one and it distorts easily at moderate volumes.

Love my PSW-300. The bandpass design is great for a subwoofer that is intended to be used as a subwoofer and not a midbass driver--maybe you're sending too much midbass to yours. My mains get down to around 35Hz and I have the crossover on my pre set to 40, so my PSW-300 doesn't get tasked with any midbass work. I can shake the foundations without distortion.

IMHO the PSW-300 is one of the best sub designs Polk has made--if you want a true subwoofer.

That said if I was going to replace the woofer, I would only consider replacing it with the woofer it was designed and tuned to work with.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • FaceFace Posts: 14,714
    edited June 2012
    I don't know how much of a difference there is between the 300 and 303 but: http://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/woofers/polk-psw303-8-woofer/

You can always contact them or Polk to see what they say.

A random $40 woofer is a bad idea.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited June 2012
    Face - Yeah, I kind of wonder how well a random woofer will work as well, but I think he wants to try it. Contacting Polk is a good idea though. They might have a drop-in replacement that might work better than any xyz brand...
  • SyndilSyndil Posts: 1,591
    edited June 2012
    I can tell by looking at the pics (assuming that is the pic of the actual woofer) that the 303 woofer is not similar to the 300 woofer.

Edit:

Heck, just noticed the 303 woofer is 8". The 300 is a 10". So yeah, definitely not similar. ;)

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
    edited June 2012
    Syndil - Yeah, definitely not a match. It was a good idea though.

I haven't heard back yet from my friend on what he wants to do. I agree that a random woofer is a hit or miss proposition.
  • Joe08867Joe08867 Posts: 3,935
    edited June 2012
    If your going to try a random SUBWOOFER make sure it is a SUBWOOFER and not just a woofer. A regular woofer won't go low enough and really negate the idea.

Also make sure it is made for a small enclosure. The box this is in is about 1cu ft so the sub needs to work in that small a space.

I wouldn't worry to much about power handling but I would get above the 80watt mark of the speakers you have shown. That sub has a dynamic power of 300 watts. About 150 nominal.
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.
    edited June 2012
    My friend just sent me a message saying he bought a woofer. I'm not sure which model yet. I'll let you guys know how it turns out...
  • jon sjon s Posts: 922
    edited June 2012
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Jon - Yeah, the spider came unglued (sounds like a common thing with that model). But even holding it together, the cone still makes a rubbing sound. I'm thinking the voice coil might be warped or something as well, basically making the woofer a lost cause at this point.
    If the voice coil is rubbing, it may mean that the voice coil was not centered properly when you glued it back...