I now own the world's all time greatest speaker ever!

Options
2»

Comments

• Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Some very good valid points Sid. I for the most part I agree. It doesn't really matter though if it was a mistake, or by design that Polk did the 150 the way they did, think about this for just a moment, what person with half of a brain, would buy a McLaren F1 just to drive it down to the Save-N-Go and fill it up with regular unleaded? Don't you think just maybe that the 150's were built with the fore thought that 150's might be designed more for the die hards that abound, that love to be given a challenge?

I have the 38's, and the 150's, and I can atest to the fact that the 150's are no mere 38 with 3 added woofs. I quess you would just have to hear the diff to understand.

I'm not trying to crack on you Sid, but off hand statements are not deserving of these speakers. It's like all the peeps I've seen in other forums, that make 5 year old out of date statements about Yamaha receivers sounding harshly bright. It's just not true, it may have been 5 years ago, but not today.
  • Terrax
    edited October 2003
    Options
    And dang it, to beat it all, I really meant to stay out of this thread. Crap....... oh well.

Big,

On the 70's, I'm happy for ya bro. Congrats! :D I know you'll be happy with'em. If ya ever wanna sell those other 150's let me know.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I dare say that trying to drive a F1 car down to the gas station around here would qualify as a challenge and I'd love every effn second of it too! Of course, premium is a must.

Sid is right, the passive radiator was and still is the best design, so that alone rules out any chance that the 150 is the best speaker in the world.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Terrax
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Aye, but no one has stated that the 150 would even dare attempt to be considered the best speaker in the world (or the 70 ether for that matter) (oh... wait... Big did, oops), or that it was the best designed, merely that it exceeds being a 38 with 3 added woofers.

And the McLaren F1 is a street legal machine, not a F1 racer.;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Aye, I said F1 car (still a challenge 'round here), not a racer. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Terrax - The Mac is DOT street legal, but if you find an individual, that drives it ON the street...you let us know. Montgomery County, MD, views it as illegal.

You WILL get a ticket, mainly because it is not normal protocol definition, depending on the law enforcement affiliate.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Terrax
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Yes, well.... the McLaren being the McLaren. The point was not about the car, but about the fact that, when someone buys something that needs high powered juice to run optimally, no one in their right mind would want to power it with a watered down source. Which has been the point about the 150's all along.
    I certainly don't feel like trash talking the 70's or any other Polk speaker, the way the 150's have been trounced around here.
    There is a thread here about other sites bashing Polk products, but the funny thing is, you really don't have to go far to find a few willing to chime in.

Ever since I got my Polks and started reading here, I've seen no other speaker ever receive as much negative feedback than the 150's have (ok maybe Bose, hehe), and for the most part, from peeps who don't own them, or who have never even listened to them long, or at all. And thats from people who aspire to be Polk loyalists.
    Someone tell me how downgrading, and belittling something someone else finds enjoyable is helpful. And it was my belief that this forum was to help or atleast provide a service to others or was I wrong?
    Now don't misunderstand me, all most everyone here is really cool, and helpful of others. But here like everywhere else, a few seem to want to make themselves feel better by being alittle too careless with their thoughts.

There, my 40 cents worth.
    Regards
    Terry
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sid......see poll.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Terrax
    edited October 2003
    Options
    F1nut,
    Aye, I said F1 car (still a challenge 'round here), not a racer.

Yes, you did, my bad. sorry. My mind was alittle, well, somewhere else really.:D

Terry
    Big,

Sorry man, didn't mean to jack your thread, I'm alittle opinionated (sp) sometimes, and felt the need to defend something I enjoy. Hope ya understand.

Terry
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2003
    Options
    BigSexy1,

I have never owned a cat, or a username that I wouldn't put on my license plate.

Run down the library, and get a couple books on human behavior if you're so inclined. You may or may not find a tie-in between usernames, calling other people "flamers", and owning big "manly" dogs. I don't think I'm going to touch on this subject any more, so you have a nice weekend there big fella. And enjoy YOUR speakers!

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    BigSexy - Rock on Polk man...Rock on!

Terrax - Understood and I agree with some of your comments. I have seen the same things you have, and I never bash users speakers....maybe non-forum users, but not Polkies :)

It is funny when you see a thread for "Hey should I buy RTi28's?" and the whole thread turns into why he should buy RTi70's....makes no sense to me. He is asking about small bookshelves for a reason you know? :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.