I now own the world's all time greatest speaker ever!

Options
bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited October 2003 in Speakers
I decided to try to simplify my system somewhat. I did have 2 pairs of 150s as well as 2 pairs of fxi30s and a csi40 (as anyone with a Denon 3802/3, 4802, or 5803 knows, in addition to a side pair of surrounds, these receivers allow you to hook up 2 different pairs of rear surrounds and simply switch between whichever pair you want to use). Well, I definitely have more than enough amp power to drive 1 pair of 150s, but not 2 pairs.

So, to make a long story short, I traded 1 pair of the 150s in at CC for 2 pairs of 70s, and I really didn't have to pay all that much extra to do it. It was a lot cheaper than getting another amp or amps for the rear pair of 150s.

The 2 pairs of 70s will replace the 2 pairs of 150s in a home theater set (along with the csi40 and 2 pairs of fxi30s) with a new Denon 3803, while the pair of 150s I still have will be in a dedicated 2 channel rig driven by all Adcom equipment (amps, preamp, and CD player.

Next up on the list is a SVS PB2 ISD and either a Denon 2200 or 2900 combi-player.

If anyone disses the 70s from here on out, now you're going to have to deal with Bigsexy!
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited October 2003
    Options
    How much were the 70's that you traded the 150's in on? I thought you got some kind of crazy deal on the RTi150's for $190 each. I am possibly looking for another set of 70's for the A/B surround on the 3803. I 'd use the 70's for multichannel audio. The price would really have to be low on the 70's though.
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • bigsexy1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The effective price I paid for the 4 150s was about $187.50 per speaker. The actual price was the first pair at $500, the second pair at $250 on the buy 1 pair, get a 2nd pair at 50% off deal they had. I traded in the $500 pair of 150s and kept the $250 pair. the 70 were now $199 each.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited October 2003
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2003
    Options
    "The worlds greatest speaker ever!"

I don't think I want to travel down that road. But that username just begs me to ask, you male or female? It's been awhile since a babe was on this forum. IF you're a babe. AND, IF you're a babe, what kind of big? Tall big? I like that. I'm short big.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • bigsexy1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm afraid you're barkin' up the wrong tree here GG! I'm male, 6'9", 270 lbs. and STRAIGHT! However, I'm sure that there probably are a few sweetties here on this board. Good luck and happy hunting!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    did you get your name from that black guy on the movie with 2 pac, his name was big sexy, LOL maybe not
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • George Grand
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey, just my luck. Incidentally there you big hunk of man, we have an outstanding member here, who is a "flamer" as you like to put it. I think he is comfortable enough with his sexuality, that he just uses his given name.

I'm not a "flamer" BIGSEXY1, but I have met no shortage of **** men, who are excellent human beings. They probably don't call straight people names. No reason to I guess.

I'm thinking you have a big, ferocious, dog too huh? Good night.

• bigsexy1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Matter of fact, I do. 1 Rottweiler and 1 German Sheppard, both males, both nuetered, and about the exact same age that starting fighting each other all the time until we had to seperate them. We got them both as about 6 month old puppies that weighed about 50 lbs each at the time, and they got along great for about 6 months. However, just about the time they both turned a year old, I guess they decided to see which one was going to be the dominant, alpha male. I've got scars on my arms from where I broke up a fight between them and they inadvertantly bit me. Believe it or not, the Rotty couldn't ever really get the upper hand as I would have thought. The Shep couldn't either though, but it was quite clear that neither one was going to back down. It was vicious. There's no doubt in my mind that it would have been a fight to the death.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I didn't call you a 'flamer".

Faster, I don't even know what you're talking about. I did see one movie recently with Vin Diesel where there was a character called bigsexy, but I can't remember the title of it right now.
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Which CC did you find them at for $199?
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's
  • George Grand
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I see you have edited your post, and replaced the word "flamers" with the word "sweetties". There would be only one "t" in "sweeties".

I know you didn't call me a "flamer". You can if you want, because I'm not real "edgy" about it, like SOME people. I already know that I'm not attracted to men, and even if I were, it wouldn't make me a bad person anyway. You shouldn't call ANYONE a flamer,or a "sweetie" (which really COULD mean a couple of things, but we both know what you meant don't we).

Now, did I call that big, ferocious, dog thing, or what? Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it? Damn this is fun.

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Enjoy those new speakers!

I've got the 3803/2900 Denon on the way later on today! Cant wait!
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Honest opinions of the 70 vs. the 150 in a high passed application?
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I can imagine it would sound like a RTi38......with a tad bit fuller bottum end.......
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bigsexy1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    GG (and don't go trying to read anything subliminal into me calling you by those initials), judging by the way you care so much right down to the last detail of even wanting to even make sure that the spelling is absolutely just perfect, this obviously must have touched a nerve in you. While I won't apologize, because frankly your post set yourself up for a reply like that, I will say that I didn't intend for it to upset you so much if in fact it did. I personally don't care what you or anyone else here does or is, so long as it doesn't affect me (nor should anyone else care for that matter). If you do in fact have **** friends that you like, that's up to you, and not me, or anyone else. And yes, you did call the big, ferocious, dog thing. Now let me take a guess about you, I'll bet that you are a cat person, right? And yes, some of this does make one wonder, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's fun.

acdds, Durham CC. It seems like they are the consistant price setter/leader, at least around here.

ec, did you get your new toys yet today? Congrats. Enjoy.

Doc, I'll be writing a review of the 70s after I have them up and running, and at least a little break in time on them. However, I won't be comparing them high passed, as the 150s are already set up now in a different location, and it would be too much trouble. Besides, it would be pretty damned stupid for anyone to high pass the 150s because they would then be defeating the 150s strongest suit, which is obviously it's bass output. However, judging from the specs on the website about the crossover points on the 12s, it will be the best of all, even over the Hallowed 70s/8s, even when high passed .

Sid, shut the hell up about something you obviously know very little about.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, the RTi38 hits down to 40-50hz good. The RTi150 is high passed at a good 120hz. So everything below 120hz is sent to the subwoofers. So it would sound like a RTi38 with a fuller bottum end. Now if high passing it just shut the subs off, then it would sound like a RTi38 that was kicked straight in the balls!

The RTi150, is a good speaker. If you want to admit it or not, it is a RTi38 with 3 subwoofers. It has a 6.5 inch mid-bass and a tweeter. Then 3 6.5 inch subs. Although it is high passed, it will sound nothing like the RTi38 but basically is one.

PS/EDIT: If you can throw any technical proof, anything like that in my face showing me how it is not a RTi38 with 3 subwoofers, I will greatfully listen. Until then you can shut the heck up about something you obviously know little about. ;)
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    ec, did you get your new toys yet today? Congrats. Enjoy.

Yup just got them about a half hour ago and everything looks perfect even the 2900 which was Scratch and Dent from Crutchfield.com. I cant try them out yet though cause i still need to start building a "TALL" free standing self for my CSi40 so i can place it ontop of the Samsung 61" DLP since theres no freakin wall but a window behind the tv..

I'll let ya know ASAP how i like the setup! heheh. if i can bare to leave the sweet spot once i've got her all fine tuned! :D
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Do I need say more? ;)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No you don't need to say ANYMORE, but you WILL ANYWAY.

Why comment on EVERYTHING?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Because I have nothing else to do, you should ask your self that same questions at times. Considering you comment on everything I comment on, which would make it where you comment on everything also......
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hey this is true, :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I love the logic from the peanut gallery.

Christ, both of ya'll can go **** yourselves. How's that? I'm done with the boat prop, it NEVER ends.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    ROFL, Just laughing...lol
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I love the logic from the peanut gallery.

Christ, both of ya'll can go **** yourselves. How's that? I'm done with the boat prop, it NEVER ends.

your funny, i was saying it to you, Guess i shoulda quoted you :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sid,

You are woefully missing out if you believe the 150's are just 38's with three subs, just because you have read some stats, or listened to you 70's and heard some 38's, doesn't mean you have any idea what the 150's sound like in the right setup. Nor would anyone else who has not put time and effort into them. It takes effort and hard work to make some of the better things in life realize their full potental. You take those 70's and hook'em up to a POS KLH HTIB receiver and lets hear you sing the that same ole song and dance. The 150's in the right setup with the right positioning and good clean power can walk the dog, take out the trash and rock the rafters and still beg to be played with, long after those 70's whined about being tired, and have to be tucked away in their cozy little beds for the nite. You want something you have to have a sidekick with, drag out those 70's, but if you want something that can be a Man-O-War, then let the 150's roam.

Please, disregard all of the above, it's all BS. ...... Hm..... Or is it?:rolleyes:

Edit: For those that may not see it, this was an attempt to be light-hearted and funny in the fact the the 150's have caught some major flak over the last month or so. Please read it as that and nothing more. /
    > points to...
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hmm, everything you said about the 150, goes in the same regard to the 70. Power, Position, Time - will make it sound good. Infact, anything can practically sound good with those 3 elements.

To say that a One Mid-bass, One Tweetered, 3 Subbed speaker, costing 1,500 from a Retail store can beat a Dual Mid-Bass, One Tweetered speaker is ludicris. Why? Because I will put my Stacked combo of the RT35i and RTi70 against your 150 in the mids and highs ANYDAY of the week, and I can still walk away with 600 dollars in my pocket afterwards. With that 600 I will commend to buy a SVS subwoofer to then walk away with the bass section in all regards to stomping the literal CRAP out of the 150.

Because at the same price, I can have the speakers, the sub, and you can have the 150. I can get the same amps you get and we can have a ball.

Either way, we can argue this all the time, all night, all day, and still never agree. So lets put it this way, whether you like it or not, I don't like the 150, and whether I like it or not, you don't like the 70. Whether I like it or not, you like the sound of the 150, you feel it is far superrior. Whether you like it or not, I like the 70, I feel it far superrior. However, for 600 dollars, and a little add on, tweaking, and such, and for a grand total of 900.00 dollars. I have (IMO) one killer set of mains.

Either way, you like your system, I like mine. I think we have reached that agreement if anything. Beit we would like to admit or not, none of our setups is worth a rant, a boast, or even can be considered, 'the worlds greatest speaker'.
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sid or to whomever this concerns,

I have never said I didn't like the 70's, and I have never felt the 150's were superior to the 70's. I don't think that, and this is my whole point, that one or the other is better. They both sound great in their on right.

And at the 150 bucks I have in each of my 150's... um which ='s just over 300, I bet I have spent one heck of alot less that what you have in the 70's, so don't bring up no retail bull. heha.

Now, what I do feel strongly about is that you or any other 70's lover/ 150's hater out there, feels compeled to spout out dribble about something they haven't even heard.

They are both very nice speakers, it's not a matter of mine is better than yours, it's not a matter of these specs are better than those. It's a matter of what we enjoy.

Lay off dissing others joys and I'm sure they "might" lay off yours.
    A lesson of life.
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I never dissed anything. All i said, in hi-passed mode (which the RTi150 is not meant for) it would resemble that of the RTi38. Which I also never said was a bad thing. You just automatically assumed it was a bad thing because I (SiD, the basher trasher) said something related to the RTi150. Misconceptions, now not until you opened your fingers on the board and said that load of Man War 150, 70 the whining baby, I said nothing was bad, I still have yet to say something was bad.

I have gotten over this little argument weeks ago, I made one simple remark then you and BS are all over this like a pack of dogs...

BS is obviously dosn't like me, I obviously don't like him, which is where we obviously get along. We both just get on each others nerves and then it is over. Then we have you, that make the smart elic remarks that resemble absolutely nothing i have said in this post. The 150 is a great speaker, do I need to start a thread that states those very words?

Although, since I the kid, can never make a valid point. Let me explain this out for you and every other guy on this board that wishes to start a riot with me. I will explain myself, the beef I have with the RTi150. The thing, I don't care what you bought it for. Polk Audio, a great speaker company made this monster.
    It consisted of 1, 1 inch tweetr. 1, 6.5 inch mid-bass, and 3, THREE 6.5 inch woofers (subs). This speaker, thirsting for wattage, so much power, that the power thirst alone made that speaker, a not so much of a bang for the buck, but much more against the rules of the RT line, a buck drainer. It required, not that it sounds better with an amp, it requires one. Which automatically cancels this speaker out of the general population. The general population wants a plug and play, a speaker that will work with anything. Yes, you would think that in our thinking that they would realize it needs more juice, but that sense just dosn't come with the package of our brains.

So I will stand by my word, that Polk went wrong in making a speaker with that kind of woofer. I believe they should make something effecient, similar to the old RTA, and the SDA, the passive radiators with alot of mid-bass drivers.

If the multiple small driver sub speaker was such a hit, then the LSi would be sporting it, if it was such a hit, then you would walk in Circuit City seeing other speaker companies with such speakers.

Are you seeing my point? I have no doubt the RTi150 can sound wonderful, spectacular with 1000+ in amps, used, not new, put into them. However, going by store price, that would be 2,500 dollars. For that same price you can buy a much better speaker, an amp, and a subwoofer, along with an entire system for the same exact price. Which comes back to the bang for the buck, which it is not. Which is what the RT speaker line up is for, to put a good speaker in the home of the average joe.

If I had the choice to buy the RTi150 for 300 a pair? Would I buy it? Obviously not, because it would require such an amp that I can not provide for it. Which would totally put a cramp in my spendings.

Whether you like it or not, each way you turn it, reflect it off the mirror, draw it, fold it, slice it, dice it, cut it, saw it, it will always be a big money drainer in all forms. Unless you just plug it up to a receiver to watch your receiver go into protect mode at loud volumes.

A great speaker it can be, for a great amount of money.

You can argue all you want, but there is no way you can prove to me that the RTi150 does not require alot of amp to really sing, to really shine, to really sound the best is can sound.

When I can plug up a RTi70 or a RTi100 to a simple receiver and be done with it. When the amp either would require would be much less than the RTi150 needs.

This is not just the RTi150, this also passes onto the RTI12. I heard it ran with a 200 watt Conrad Johnson amp. I must say, I was amazed at how much power that thing just ate up, the 12 is a misquito to amps. Sucks them dry.

Great speaker, but the ones that are attracted to this speaker (probally mindless teens like myself that see the subs and go WOW), will buy that speaker. Plug it up, and will try to jam at loud volumes and see their system shut down before their eyes, return them and get a speaker of lesser looks and go twice as loud for the same volume, and then purchase a subwoofer that brings on the same effect of sound.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I see. We, whether you like it or not are a special breed of people. We waste hundreds, thousands on audio gear, to get our sounds. The general public is not so likely to do so. You are looking at a plug and play instead of research. You are looking at former bose customers.

- SiD
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Want to write a summary of that? The book was too long to read... ;)
  • VR3
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Im afraid if I write a 'summary', the gang of clowns will pounce and say I did not explain because they are to lazy to read the whole thread.

However, I see Terrax is back online, and will soon reply with a novel about how the RTi150 is a bang for the buck and I need to hear it to believe it. Glad to say I wont be around to read it. Goodnight.