RTi8 reset switch?

ebeisel
ebeisel Posts: 3
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

I have a brand new pair of RTi8's less than a week old and was enjoying them rather loudly last night, they now sound like a cheap pair of radio shack speakers, with no bass or treble, just a muted, muffled sound. Is there a reset to them or are they toast already? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Eric.
Post edited by ebeisel on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2003
    Sounds like the crossover got toasted, how many watts is your amp? Too little power (clipping distortion) blows speakers alot quicker than too much power...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ebeisel
    edited October 2003
    Amp is rated at 100W per channel @0.7%THD. If the crossovers are gone, that's an easy fix except I have to wait for the parts.

Thanks.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Agreed, you clipped the amp, and probably blew the tweets and seized or warped all the voicecoils on the woofs. If the crossovers were toast, you'd probably hear *nothing*.

Looks like you've got quite a bill for drivers in the near future.

If you must listen at whatever level you were, consider all of the following, or pick 2.

Turn it down.
    Buy a better amp.
    Buy more efficient speakers.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2003
    I vote for Russ's #2. 210 W/ch and no clipping at high levels, a little at the extreme.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2003
    I'd return them for a new pair under warranty and then heed the other advice here.

Also, your amp will have a LOT more clean power available for mids and highs if you high-pass the 8's at 80 Hz and use a quality powered subwoofer to handle the lows.

"Rather loud" to me means you were probably playing bass heavy music along the lines of Sid's tastes (Korn or Linkin Park or w/e) and - yes - drove the amp into severe clipping and bingo - fried drivers.

Am I correct about the bass heavy music part? That is the hardest load on the typical AVR amp - they have limited power supply and capacitance capabilities. And the 8's have limited bass ability anyway - hardly a true full range speaker.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ebeisel
    edited October 2003
    I exchanged them for a new pair. As for the bass heavy music, I was thumping them pretty hard to Collective Soul. They sound great to me, but I agree they are not a true full range speaker, but the clarity and crispness gives me goose bumps for sure. And yes, lesson learned as I am not playing them as loud now. Thanks for all the replies.