Blind cable testing..... Guess the outcome lol

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
edited May 2012 in Electronics
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2012
    I love those tests and so does my wife!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2012
    So much for the "all wire sounds the same" theory. Put it next to the flat earth theory.

Interesting how the more expensive wire won each round. Maybe it produces electromagnetic placebo effects.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,155
    edited May 2012
    I can't wait to hear what the naysayers come up with for excuses why this isn't a valid test. Should make quite the entertaining thread for the weekend. Can't wait for more convoluted logic, back peddling and rationalization.

Thanks for posting this Enders

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,051
    edited May 2012
    I thought we just had a 13 page rant about how invalid these tests are. Now all of a sudden it's peach creamy that an 8k cable barely, & I mean barely edged out a 3 dollar cable. And depending on how one reads the results the 8k cable should be embarrased as hell & sent home holding it's tail between it's leg. The one thing they missed is pitting the same cable against itself...now those results have been hilarious. It did sound like the event was a lot of fun & the results will spur another 13 pages of humerous reading. Cables do matter but lets get real here.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2012
    I can see some naysayers complaining it was not a double blind test. I am not suprised at the results. Cable differences are real here.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2012
    It is like drag racing. The faster you go the more cash it costs to shave a hundredth off.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I can't wait to hear what the naysayers come up with for excuses why this isn't a valid test.

I'm not a naysayer, and this was not a valid test. All it tells us is a group of 50 people listened to short snippets of music and listed which presentations they preferred. Unless I missed it, there were no formal evaluation criteria. For all I know, the cable that "won" might have done so simply because it made the female singer's voice sound a little bit "prettier".

This was no different than asking random strangers to do a Pepsi taste test.

mad.gifNo comment on the matrix style seating?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • headrott
    edited May 2012
    I thought about that as well Ray. I didn't think it was very good evaluation criteria only evaluating "bass, midrange, treble, and overall preference", and only overall preference was used in the tally. What about soundstage height, width, depth? What about imaging? What about image weight? Lumping all the criteria into "overall preference" is rediculous. As is using a blind test to begin with.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited May 2012
    Funny how different people can interpret the same results much differently.

What struck me from the results was:

A) nearly one-out-of-three people who were tested had no preference between the $3 cable and both the cables costing well over $1000!,
    B) Nearly 30% preferred the $3 cable over the two $1000 cables!,
    C) nearly 40% of those tested preferred the $3 cable overall over the $8000 cable!,
    D) One-in-five people tested preferred the $3 cable overall over any of the others, whereas the $8000 cable was preferred by ONLY 22% and the over-$1000 cables were preferred by about 30% of those tested!!

Looked at this way, the over-$1000 cables makers should be more than a little embarrassed and the $8000 cable makers should be hiding its head in shame!! :redface:

Further, as stated by pearsall001 above, I think a glaring gross omission is that they didn't test each cable against itself. My guess is that this would have truly given some entertaining results - which, in theory, should reveal nearly 100% "no-freference" results.

Also, how about the MIDDLE-GROUND cables (Blue Jeans, Belden, etc.), unrepresented here? There really should be one heck of a difference between a bottom-end cable (<$3) and ones that cost between at least 333 to over 2600 times as much! I mean really, why test a very bottom-ender? They certainly should have had some more commonly used middle-ground ones in there like your basic 12-14 AWG oxygen-free copper ones or some a little higher up the scale like those from Blue Jeans, Belden, etc. MUCH LESS than $1000 a pair, but quite a bit more than $3 a pair.

If the high-end cable fans want to take this study as a "victory" in the cable battle, then by all means, go ahead! :cheesygrin: I'd classify it as a slim-to-very hollow victory considering the extreme price differences of the cables tested and the fact that they had no middle ground cables tested and no head-to-head tests of cables tested against themselves.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    What about soundstage height, width, depth? What about imaging? What about image weight?

When you lump 40-50 people together, evaluating anything in the area of stereo performance goes out the window.
    ASMblindTest05-07-12.jpg
    What reasonable confidence can be had in the "evaluation" from the poor guy in the green shirt at the far right?:twisted:
    So sad.
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2012
    I'm not a naysayer, and this was not a valid test. All it tells us is a group of 50 people listened to short snippets of music and listed which presentations they preferred. Unless I missed it, there were no formal evaluation criteria. For all I know, the cable that "won" might have done so simply because it made the female singer's voice sound a little bit "prettier".

And that is basically all the audio hobby is, finding something you 'prefer'. Whether the test, or cable 'A' and cable 'B', met some defined criteria is irrelevent. The point is, for whatever reason, people were clearly able to state one preferance over the other. The conclusion is either they were deluded, or there was some type of audible difference between the cables. For whatever reason, their preference was the more expensive cable in each test. Maybe better cables do make a female singer's voice sound prettier.

However, it would be interesting to take the same cables and gear, and define a more scientific measureable test, and see if the results are the same.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2012
    teekay0007 wrote: »

A) nearly one-out-of-three people who were tested had no preference between the $3 cable and both the cables costing well over $1000!,
    C) nearly 40% of those tested preferred the $3 cable overall over the $8000 cable!,
    D) One-in-five people tested preferred the $3 cable overall over any of the others, whereas the $8000 cable was preferred by ONLY 22% and the over-$1000 cables were preferred by about 30% of those tested!!

All that shows is that in any group of people there are those with either bad hearing, or have no idea what they are listening for. The problem here is that these are the same people who then think that everyone has the same bad hearing as they do, so others are imagining any differences in cables.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    edited May 2012
    When you lump 40-50 people together, evaluating anything in the area of stereo performance goes out the window.

I understand that Ray, which is why you stated "No comment on the matrix style seating", I think. When there are 40-50 people trying to listen to a stereophonic signal approximately 80% to 99% of listeners won't perceive the imaging, and soundstage characteristics (at least well enough to evaluate them) depending on the audience layout and speaker setup and type used of course. The testers should have explained that in their write up. Also, they should have explained their reasoning for only including the evaluation criteria they chose, specifically if it was because of the reason you brought up.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• DarqueKnight
    edited May 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    And that is basically all the audio hobby is, finding something you 'prefer'.

For me, it's much more than that. I can actually explain why I prefer something. I can also set my preferences aside and objectively evaluate things based on formal performance criteria. I have bought a lot of gear that met certain performance goals when my "preference" was for another brand, price point, color, etc.
  • teekay0007
    edited May 2012
    What this study does do is set the stage for a similar comparison at an upcoming Polkfest gathering. I'm sure there's enough CP members who would be happy to give their input as to proper study design and equipment used and the room layout. Many members would probably be willing to bring their prized cables to be in the comparison groups. People in the listening group would be from both sides, and middle-grounders, of the "cables make/don't make a difference" argument. Then, the results could be compiled, presented on this forum, and agreed on to be a topic to never be brought up again! :cheesygrin: Newbies could be directed to the thread upon membership registration and they would have to sign off on said results as gospel prior to being able to make any forum posts! :lol:
  • teekay0007
    edited May 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    All that shows is that in any group of people there are those with either bad hearing, or have no idea what they are listening for. The problem here is that these are the same people who then think that everyone has the same bad hearing as they do, so others are imagining any differences in cables.

Wow! That's a pretty high and mighty self opinion! Funny, but my guess is that in your next post you'll be telling us that what's most important is how what's being played sounds to the listener. And if that listener chooses the "wrong cables" - which by this definition is impossible - then they have "either bad hearing or have no idea what they are listening for". Again, just "Wow! Do you ever catch your tail?"
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited May 2012
    Funny how different people can interpret the same results much differently.

I noticed the same thing as I was reading the results. I was expecting a surprising upset, but instead I was left scratching my head, wondering if I was reading the same article. This is a victory, how, exactly? I'm reminded of the oft-quoted cliche:

The figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Given that the highest margin of "victory" by any particular cable was only 59%, that's not even enough to rule out a non-random result. All of the so-called "victories" were 50% +/- 9%. I suspect there's also a reason why they aren't telling us how each individual scored, as that would undoubtedly be even more revealing of the randomness afoot.

So, yeah. Go cables!

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • teekay0007
    edited May 2012
    Hey, just for fun, let's look at this one other way - a car analogy. :biggrin:

22% of consumers preferred the ride overall in the $100,000 Mercedes-Benz 550 series- Car 1
    28% - 30% preferred the ride overall in the $12,500 Kia Rio or Ford Fiesta - Cars 2 and 3
    20% preferred the ride overall in Car 4, purchased for $37.50

I doubt many of the sales and marketing people on the teams for Cars 1, 2, or 3 would be running back to Corporate saying how they "trounced" Car 4 in consumer preference! :frown:

No....don't get me wrong, I LOVE great music and great home theater and have heard plenty of rigs that have just blown me away. I have never heard a system with $8000 cable pairs, or even $1000 cable pairs - hope to someday, but haven't as of now. If any of you can hear a difference that is worth that much of an investment for youself, then go for it with my blessing. I actually hope I never develop the listening sophistication that will allow me to make that distinction 'cuz I'd always want to get there. Also, I'd forever be pointing out to all my friends and family how deficient their systems are, nose in the air, and all! :lol:

And to me, all things considered, I guess the whole debate just stinks to high heaven of a lesson in the law of diminishing returns.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited May 2012
    new_argue.gif
    beatdeadhorse.gif
    new_sleeping.gif
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited May 2012
    Good one decal. Well stated.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
    edited May 2012
    And to me, all things considered, I guess the whole debate just stinks to high heaven of a lesson in the law of diminishing returns.

And thats all we want people to admit. There "is" a difference between cables. I a openly admit there is a law of diminishing returns, but all we want is for people to say "cables do sound different". Its ok if you decided not to make that next step up to get that little bit extra of performance, there are people that might either because they have the money to, or just enjoy the music that much.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited May 2012
    IMO there are slight differences in cables, slight and doesn't warrant me spending thousands and thousands of dollars on cables. What I can't understand is people spending thousands on cables and the speakers and/or gear doesn't match.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,155
    edited May 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I think this test is flawed for all the same reasons DK and others have mentioned. My point was this is exactly the kind of test a cable naysayer would want us to participate in. Short snippets of songs, many people in matrix style seating, blind, etc. The average naysayer doesn't believe in sound stage height, width, depth and all the other attributes a well trained listener would listen for. This is the EXACT type of test as well as implementation a lot of the people who want proof cables sound different have in mind. The point is the cables sounded different. It's funny because the guys who are quoting the stats that are not that impressive Teekay and Syndil are basing the results on price (a bias) and now stating there should be more a difference because of the difference in price. Why not revel in the fact that the cables sounded different to a bunch of strangers in a room who may or may not have been familiar with the music played or even been in the best seating position for maximum performance. Instead let's break it down on $$$. Many of us have said it before, the most expensive piece isn't ALWAYS the preferred piece.

All I can say is, yes, the test has a plethora of flaws but it did reveal in a very crude way differences can be heard, even by untrained listeners listening on a foreign rig to very small snippets of songs they may or may not be familiar with. I can come to the conclusion that if a test were administered based on what DK has proposed in the past (I'm not going into detail for brevity) even more profound differences would be noted. Not to mention that would be a much more controlled and proper way to evaluate.

If a crude, poorly implemented blind listening test like this one can reveal differences, image what a properly administered test with trained listeners would reveal. Unblinded of course

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Obsession18
    Obsession18 Posts: 191
    edited May 2012
    I think it’s a pretty damning indictment for the three high dollar cables that some low-rent 16 ga zipcord held up that well. As someone else mentioned - what if the cheap stuff were replaced with some mid-grade stuff like Canare 4S11, it could have been a downright debacle for the high end stuff.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Audio Technica 150MLX, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2012
    What a worthless test if there ever was one......and these are the things that circle jerk the internet as fact. Well, I guess I can see the attraction if you have no more than a 5th grade education and are the type to believe everything you read on the internet.

Thats a hint for the next one to post up for the millionth time a Roger Russell article.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2012
    The whole thing read like a parody to me...as if they were making fun of audio blind tests.

I wouln't think that Stereophile (a magazine known for stringent audio gear test procedures) and a formal audiophile club would expect such a sloppily conducted test to be taken seriously.
  • headrott
    edited May 2012
    That would make more sense. So we should be saying "So yeah. Go blind tests.":loneranger:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited May 2012
    We all have come to our own conclusions on whether or not cables matter. I swapped audioguest cables bought at best buy for MIT's cheapest exps and kept the MITs for a reason. No one can come tell me otherwise, I hear what I hear...

I only wish I was part of the group that didn't hear a difference between $3 cable and $1000 cable. That would have saved me some pocket change! Even though my cables were not that expensive anyway...
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited May 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    If a crude, poorly implemented blind listening test like this one can reveal differences, image what a properly administered test with trained listeners would reveal. Unblinded of course

H9

This test didn't reveal any differences, the results are completely random as usual. Certainly isn't any type of test I would setup. I would want the best chance for a positive outcome, which would mean listening 1 person at a time, in the sweet spot, with their own choice of music. This test was a joke.
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited May 2012
    If you really want to do a test like this, take a large population of audiophiles one at a time, and place them at the optimal listening position. I do not think that we need an "objective" measure as a subjective measure like preferences is what audio is all about, but we need a way to do that type of experiment with less bias possible. Results are interresting, but they are in no way astonishing.

As someone pointed out, that poor guy with the green shirt wasn't even in a position to really hear anything. Maybe all those who couldn't hear a difference were poorly positionned? Maybe we could say the same thing about the fact that they could not discriminate between a 3$ cable and a 8000$ one? Anyways... I do think that even if we end up with a methodologically correct experiment, we'll always end up debating.

Sure, cable A do no seem to have any clear advantage if you look at the results, but a lot of people thougt it sounded way better than the 8000$ cable! Maybe they do not have golden ears, but that's why I think people that we should make an experiment with a population of audiophiles. At least, we would know that those peoples can usually detect even a minimal difference in sound.

I would also like to know how a 30-50-100$ cable would fare up against those exotics cables? And against the 3$ one?

So many questions, but yet, this experiment provides no actual answers.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H