in the dog house

Options
dcorrea
dcorrea Posts: 80
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Well, its official. I overstepped my buying boundary with the wife. Last week when I was able to get the RTi 100's I wanted for so long at O/B and clearance discount from CC my wife approved.

When I went a few days later and traded in my sony set center and rears for a CSI 40 she became a little worried although the fact that I only paid 100 dollars for a 300 dollar center channel eased her pain a bit.

Now today when I came home with a pair of FXi 30's for 60 bucks a piece she lost it. She couldnt see why I would by these when my surround sound setup is perfect with the RTi 100 the CSi 40 and RTi 38s in the rear. When I explained to her that this purchase was for the future when we get a house with a much bigger living room so I can enjoy full 7.1 sound, she just got pissed?

Now Im in a dilema...should I ditch the speakers or the wife????
HK AVR 525
Polk RTi-100 Fronts
Polk RTi-38 Rears
Polk CSi-40 Center
Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
Post edited by dcorrea on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dcorrea

Yes!:D ( I'm nuetral on which one to get rid of!)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options

the obvious! ditch the wife and say hi to Rosie and her five **** friends :D
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    all in fun i guess, But nice guys :D

Keep the wife and speakers, she will get over it... for only 120 bucks.. and thank you when you watch a great dvd
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I suggest getting right up in her face and screaming "I wear the goddamn pants in THIS family!", then proceed to the bedroom, pack an overnight bag....and call her the next day to apologize.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcorrea
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I suggest getting right up in her face and screaming "I wear the goddamn pants in THIS family!", then proceed to the bedroom, pack an overnight bag....and call her the next day to apologize.

I thought of that...except she's a cop and can legally carry a gun soooooo....

dont wanna piss her off too bad:D
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You really should have realized that three audio purchases in a week would cause most wives to flip. Oh well, you're screwed - does the receiver need upgraded? :D Don't forget the flowers hehe!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Which one sounds better when screaming, the Polks, or the wife? Need an A-B switcher to compare? I have one cheap. You might also want to see if your d*%k fits into one of the Polk Power Ports. Then you can make a informed decision.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Obviously not for Russ....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Don't forget the flowers hehe!

At this point I think jewelry is the only answer!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • fireshoes
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Perhaps she would enjoy a nice pair of LSi7's...
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    If ya go with trying to bribe her with LSi7's, ya may wanna take out a loan to buy her a new car ;)
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited October 2003
    Options
    You should have stashed the 30's for a few months then she might not have been so taken back by the wonderful decidion you made to get all timber matched speakers.

Keep both, let her cool, she'll get over it and so will you. You will probably have to do some extra duty around the house for a bit but the full 7.1 will be worth it.
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • dcorrea
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hmmm....

LSI 7's huh? Oh hell if Im going to go that route why not all out with the LSi 25's and the LSi 9's. I mean seriously how much more upset can she get?
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
  • fireshoes
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Damn good idea! Now you got it!
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Hmmm....

LSI 7's huh? Oh hell if Im going to go that route why not all out with the LSi 25's and the LSi 9's. I mean seriously how much more upset can she get?

the reality is, she will be mesmerised by the slick, contemporary, detailed, natural sound, and high-tech look of the LSi's that she will thank you for letting her experience the beauty of Polk in action...;)

hmm, too much air...I am out!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I say pick up an SVS while you're at it. If she's already pissed, take advantage of it! I mean, you've already crossed the line, anyway. ;)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Any married guy who thinks he wears the pants in the house is a fool and any other married who has any sense knows that, damnit...... Any married guy who tries to prove he wears the pants in the house is a bigger fool, not to mention a "soon to be" single fool.....

Just food for thought....:p
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2003
    Options
    That's SOOO true. Been with my girl for six years and just got engaged a few weeks ago. We just moved into our townhouse and I think I left my pants at home, along with my belt. I love her to DEATH but I feel like I'm married already! Good thing I got my LSis BEFORE we moved in together! Actually it's a funny story...

I had been talking about getting the LSis for a few months and every time I mentioned the idea to her she got VERY mad. I already have two surround setups (nice ones) and she just can't understand how better speakers make better sounds. WELL, I proposed to her at night a few weeks ago and about an hour after she had the ring on her finger she looked at the ring, looked at me, and said, "Honey if you want those speakers, now is the time you should order them." with a HUGE smile on her face! I JUMPED UP and ordered them faster than a fat kid in a candy store making a fast break for the Paydays! That was a WONDERFUL day for me.....oh, and her :D
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Good deal, Mazeroth.... and congratulations too. :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited October 2003
    Options
    This hits home here....

I buy stuff all the time and the wife can't understand why.She gets mad then glad.

They just got to understand that we as men have needs 2.We need to buy things that we love.I won't allow my wife or anyone else for that matter to tell me when and when not.

She tries but I always get my way in the end.I just gotta have it and thats that.

If she can't understand it,I'd sit down and talk to her about it.it's always a good Idea to for warn her.Buying expensive thengs for some reason or another the wife get all off her game.....but allow then to spend 20k + in the damn furniture store............I didn't even blink.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The deal is...

Honey, I really am sorry that you're upset about the money I spent. I just feel SO happy and content with you and our marriage and our life... I guess I forgot 'better judgment' for the moment and focused on more happiness. I know it was selfish to go and buy more speakers, but gosh darn it, I'm just so content and thrilled with our life together... I lost my head and just selfishly bought something that brought me happiness. I'm so sorry I didn't consider your feelings.... I hope you can forgive me... I'd really like you to share in this with me.. do you think we could watch a romantic movie together? I know I overstepped the bounds of the money I should have spent, and I don't want you to feel like I think only of myself... I'd really like you to go out and spend $100 on something frivolous, something that you don't need but really want... I love you so much... thank you for marrying me.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Burdette - Nice touch...

Since we are on the subject I'll put in my .02 . I told my wife I wanted the B&K equipment this spring and got the usual response, sigh.... Well, I didn't mention it for a while but did bring up the new, handmade mind you, armoir entertainment center she bought this spring for the TV. And I just had to throw in the little guilt trip of how much we spent on it, actually how much more it costed than the equipment I wanted. After about a month, and me bringing it up a few more times, she gave in!! She does appreciate good sounding music though so that helps, TREMENDOUSLY. I convinced her how much better the music would sound and all that. Now that we've had B&K for a while I asked her last month what she thought about it. Accepted the sigh..., reaction, then she said that she could hear, and see, why I wanted to buy this new equipment. To her it sounded much better than my old equipment. WAF and I got my point across!! Now I have much more leeway spending dollars! She's happy, I'm happy..., man, it just doesn't get any better than this..:D
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Man you got it good!

I had the same experiance as dcorrea.. i bought up a whole 5.1 Polk rti setup at CC and on the way home from picking up the NIB rti38's from a different store for 200 bucks then the other CC i just had to turn around and buy another set for the future 7.1!

My wife freakin flipped out! i'm like huh? I spent all this money and buying one more set is that big of a deal? I mean i could get the OB rti38's for 140. Nothing can make a pissed off women understand that buying another set of speakers that match the rest of the set for the future 7.1.. Its like i told her a thousand times on the way back to the store and all night long after.. If i dont buy the 7th channel..what do you think is going to happen a year from now when i want the full 7.1.. I'll have to buy a whole new set of speakers just to have them match perfectly which would make this whole purchase pointless and a waste of money..

One of these days when i get everything hooked up when i get my new receiver to do some justice with these bad boys i'll ask her if she thinks its all worth it.. And i bet anything she'll say NOPE! hehehe

Ya guys got it better then I.
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Theirs much more then Audio, and its just like we as guys don't always understand why a Good book, Doll.. craft show.. furniture is that big a deal.. because we may not be into it.. After things got hasty in another thread about our wives.. and having to beg for what we want audio wise.. and having to woman things up just to get what we want. SO what.. we are talking about our soul mates, wives, and family.. In our house. We truely get what we want.. I don't ask out of being scared.. of her but out of respect.. I know the answer is always yes 9 times out of 10.. Some of the guys seem to have to show they are real men by saying i wouldnt deal with a woman like that, yada yada yada.. she wouldnt be my wife for long.. These guys arent Married and for good reason, LOL :D I know this post is in jest mostly.. But lets all honor our wives and Remember what we get when she's happy!!! yeah baby~~~~~~
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • eclypse
    edited October 2003
    Options
    heh maybe i neeed to find a new wife then.. Only been married about 4 months and everytime i ask for something even really small the answer is NO!.. Its the end of the night, its that time.. hmm.. NO! Hunny its only 250 bucks more for the better model.. NO!

Yup, we've been together for over 13 years and its getting alittle old to say the least.
    I mean i always get what i want anyways.. but every freakin time, even if i ask for something that costs 5 freakin stinkin bucks.. NO!.. She wont even walk around the store with me in my favorite iles knowing i'll find something that i gota have, just to aviod it.

She's too cheap!
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    life is to short to deny yourself the simple pleasures in life.

within reason of course.. i woudn't go out and buy a new car every year or anything like that. So why not get that other pair of rears you've been wanting for the past 6 months? I guess in every relationship there has to be give and take. Let her buy something she has been wanting for a whiile.. or better yet.. go out and surpise her by buying if for her instead.

I look at home audio like this. Will a super high end receiver make my system sound better? Hell i sure hope so.. but will it make it sound $7000 better? Probably not. So when I get the itch to purchase something.. I weigh the plus and minuses heavely before laying down the cash for it. Yeah i feel guilty afterwords some times.... but I feel I've made wise decisions when it comes to my system. While it's not top of the line, it gives me great satisfaction.. knowing I put it together from scratch and it sounds pretty damn good. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Rotarydude
    Rotarydude Posts: 40
    edited October 2003
    Options
    it's all about compromise! She doesn't want you to keep those $120 speakers? Well...why not get her something or take her to some place that's worth $120??

I had to bargain and harsh negotiation with mine with my SVS. She didn't care for the price, just the size and the ugliness of the SVS. But as a compromise we worked things out.
    Family room:
    2xLSi25, 1xLSiC, 4xLSiFX, SVS 20-39PC+, PT-52DL52, TS160, DTR 9.1, DVR985, DVL-700, CDP-C910, Panamax 5500 connected by Canare (4S11 w/Vampire and L-5CFB)

Masterbed room:
    2xAR312-HO, 1xAR4C, 2xAR15, NHT Subone, WT-46805, SR-HD500, M-VR900, Denon 1600, Monster HTS-3500 connected by Monster Cables

Waiting:
    Denon 5900, Denon 2200, and a 7 Channel 4ohm stable amp!
  • eclypse
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Good point Danger boy. Prob is theres nothing she wants or needs hehe..

yeah i just scored a Denon 3803 for $899 and a Denon 2900 DVD player S/D for $849 at www.crutchfield.com.. I've been beating my brain over this whole upgrade for my new Rti speaker 7.1 setup for the past month. I'm kinda glad its over.. But damn did i ever go over the budget!.. I really need to sit down and freakin total it up but i'm afraid to. I might of got these 2 units for cheaper at a local shop since there having some sale this weekend but for some damn reason they didnt want to tell me and i didnt want to chance missing out on the 2900 since the S/D item just was put up at the site and i didnt want someone else to walk away with it like they did last time a week ago... I was supposed to get the 2200 for 509 but i couldnt resist the 2900 even though theres not much difference in them.

This whole audio/video experiance has really put us there some ruff times and i hope and prey i'm done and i dont have to go threw this for a few more years... Man that women can lay the guilt trip on ya.. Makes it kinda hard to feel good about it and enjoy the new setup.

you would think a guy with a brand new setup like this would be jumping up and down like a mad man..

RTi70's -Fronts
    CSi40
    FXi30's -S
    RTi38's -SB
    PSW404 -Sub

Hooked up with sexy **** Monster XPHP 10 Gauge wire all around w/monster Banana quick connects.

Denon 3803 Receiver
    Denon 2900 DVD player

High end Monster cables on everything.. prob like a 1000+ bucks easy.. All for the center piece.

Samsung 61" DLP HDTV

heh and the only thing thats paid for is the TV.. god its gona take some time to pay this one off.. i kinda wish i could just return all of it.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I just added an SVS 20-39PCi. My old sub (PSW350) was the weakest link in my system... now all the parts are together. tuned up. and happy. Now that i feel i've put together a decent system. I just want to kick back (with a few beers) and enjoy the hell out of it. Without worrying this or that needs to be upgraded or replaced. I'm done upgrading, replacing for a while.. now it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :D

my system in case no one checked the system showcase is:

Marantz SR5000 receiver (high current)
    2 ch. Adcom amp 125wpc (high current)
    3 Marantz MA500 mono block amps 125w each
    CS400i center biwired
    RT800i fronts bi wired
    FX/300i rears
    SVS 20-39 PCi sub
    Toshiba DVD audio and video player
    Marantz CC4300 CD carousel player
    California Audio Labs Alpha Tube DAC

and an old black and white TV. :eek: just kidding. I do have an old 27" color Zenith (that won't freakin' die).
    and a mish-mash of Monster, IXOS, and RS fusion cables.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2003
    Options
    The key to this is to manage the family finances. This can have positive and negative impacts. The positives are:
    1. Only you see your checks/Credit Card charges
    2. You can move money around to different accounts(i.e. hide it!)
    3. You don't have to explain where every dollar went

Now the downsides can be pretty bad. See, the wife doesn't realize how much she spends on a monthly basis. She just spends, spends, and spends some more without actually seeing the pain inflicted on the checking account balance. Which in the end can defeat the whole purpose of you managing the family finances. After all, if there's no money left, you can't buy new Polk speakers. So every now and then, you have to lean on the little lady, kind of how she leaned on you, to throttle back the spending. And if she would just get a part time job, there would be more money for her to spend!