Recapping Monitor 11

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,415
    edited April 2012
    That's not going to tell you anything other than the recapped speaker sounds better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    Shacky Posts: 113
    edited April 2012
    Finished one speaker tonight. Will let it burn in before comparing. Quick listen in mono showed recapped less bright than original which in my book is good. Here are some more pics:

IMGP0843.jpg

IMGP0837.jpg

IMGP0849.jpg
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Still been less that 24 hours. I did a quick mono comparison. The non-recapped speaker is brighter and louder with somewhat punchier bass - maybe factor of more top end definition?
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Are the Monitor 11's 4.5 OHM speakers? I see this in manual:

DC Resistance 4.5 OHMS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,415
    edited April 2012
    Are the Monitor 11's 4.5 OHM speakers?

No, as stated that is the DC resistance not the nominal impedance.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited May 2012
    I hard wired traces just to be sure. Also removed the Solens 4.7 on low woofer just in case.

Have to tackle the other speaker crossover when I have time.

Bottom line these are fantastic speakers! I'm driving them with Adcom GTP 500 II and my Fisher console pull 7591 restored amp. Absolute bliss! I tried the new to me Acurus preamp in picture. The straight audiophile Acurus is a little too thin for me. I like some meat on my bass :cheesygrin:

IMGP0852.jpg

IMGP0854.jpg
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2012
    odd... i just switched to an Acurus A250 amp and the same Acurus pre-amp. i have not decided yet wether to keep the preamp or maybe go back to my NAD 1020. everything (crossovers and RDO-194's) are still burning in, so i feel i should wait a while.

pre.jpg
    amp.jpg
    all.jpg
    pre.jpg 112.8K
    amp.jpg 78.3K
    all.jpg 113.7K
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Shacky
    edited May 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    No, as stated that is the DC resistance not the nominal impedance.

Anyone know nominal impedence of the Monitor 11?
  • Shacky
    edited May 2012
    11tsteve wrote: »
    odd... i just switched to an Acurus A250 amp and the same Acurus pre-amp. i have not decided yet wether to keep the preamp or maybe go back to my NAD 1020. everything (crossovers and RDO-194's) are still burning in, so i feel i should wait a while.

pre.jpg
    amp.jpg
    all.jpg

Beautiful Acurus A250 and RL-11. I'm the kind of guy that usually has bass at 3 o'clock or loudness on so don't think I'll ever care for pre with no tone control. Bought the RL-11 with an Odyssey Stratos. Didn't care for that combo but I understand Klaus can adjust bias to taste.
  • 11tsteve
    edited May 2012
    i completely get that... even with these 11T's, for low to mid level listening i always boost the bass a bit.... it makes NIN thump.:cheesygrin:

my system is in my office tied into my computer, and my wife, who works at home, uses the system a lot as well... i think she will make an impact on whether the RL-11 stays. it is weird to not have tonal control for sure, though i swear either i am getting used to the combo, or the crossovers are getting there.... it doesn't seem as thin as when i hooked it up a week ago.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Shacky
    edited May 2012
    What caps did you use in your 11T's?
  • 11tsteve
    edited May 2012
    Gen1s for the 12uf and Jantzens for the low pass. there's a thread around here somewhere....

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?130965-crossover-upgrades-11T
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Shacky
    edited May 2012
  • transmaster
    transmaster Posts: 428
    edited May 2012
    I will have the two MW-6503 I ordered by the middle of this week which will complete the upgrades on my 10B's. This is going to be fun much of the music I presently have I have never heard on the 10B's they have not been in use for nearly 10 years.
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • 11tsteve
    edited May 2012
    if i can ask, how much were those from polk?NVM... found your thread transmaster....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Shacky
    edited November 2012
    Finally got to recap, JB Weld and Dynamat woofers, and reseal second speaker tonight. These are stunning speakers! I may be up late tonight ; )