Recapping Monitor 11

Shacky
Shacky Posts: 113
edited November 2012 in Vintage Speakers
I assume the 0.5 cap is in line with Tweeter. What about the 4.9 uF cap :question:

This doesn't show the crossover detail to see how critical that 4.9 is.

Also - are the 45 uF caps used separately or combined in the circuit?
Post edited by Shacky on

Comments

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
    No feedback to go by. Here's what I ordered:

CLARITY-74830 Each 0.47uf 250VDC, +/- 3%, ESA
    Series, Capacitor
    2 2 5.59 11.18
    Discount 20.00% -1.12 -2.24
    MATCHFEE 1 1 MP MATCHING FEE PER PAIR 1.00 1.00
    AXON-73687 Each 47uF 250V 5% TRUE
    CAPACITOR
    2 2 8.93 17.86
    AXON-73688 Each 43uF 250V 5% TRUE
    CAPACITOR
    2 2 8.21 16.42
    AXON-73713 Each 4.7uF 250V 5% TRUE
    CAPACITOR
    2 2 1.69 3.38
    MILLS-71909 Each MRA-12 4R7 1% MILLS
    RESISTOR
    4 4 4.95 19.80
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,415
    edited April 2012
    The 4.9uF for the tweeter, the 0.5uF is not.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Too late to change order with PC. So would it be that bad to use the Axon caps 4.9 with tweeter? I think I have some Solen 4.7 left over from previous project too.

Or I could start another bypass thread and suggest I bypass either the Solen or Axon with a nice Russian 0.1 or two :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited April 2012
    Axon and Solen aren't the greatest sounding caps for a tweeter circuit, certainly better than the aged stock eletrolytics. Try the Axon first and if it's objectionable then maybe try a bypass cap. I am not in favor of using bypass caps, but you'll have to decide for yourself.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    I was looking at Sonicaps on Sonicraft site. On Gen I Sonicaps can I use 200 VDC or do I need 600 VDC version? Thought I remembered reading somewhere that anything greater that 160 is OK for speaker crossovers.
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    OK I see 200 VDC Sonicaps used elsewhere so assume they are good.

So now another example of stupid is as stupid does - I ordered 2 x 43 uF Axons and 2 x 47 uF Axons. Thinking the each pair worked together and would equal combined 2 x 45 in schematic.

I'm thinking now that's not true and the reason for 2 x 45 uF is the midranges work separately. Since one Midrange focuses on 600 hz and below and the other the full midrange, how would you suggest I make best use of what I ordered? :redface:
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2012
    ^ start over
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• F1nut
    edited April 2012
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    ^ start over

Solid advice.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
    I hear ya. I didn't think and confirm this one through before pulling the trigger. Too anxious to hear these at their best.

So how about some advice on better set of caps? I like the sound of Sonicaps in my Forte's. So maybe I go for Sonicaps on the 4.9 caps. I see Sonicap come in 4.7 and 5.0.

I'm not familiar with Clarity caps. If they are warm lke Sonicaps I could save another shipping charge.

Just for s#$$s and giggles - can anyone point out which position 45 uF cap is for the full mid and which is for the low mid driver?
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    I would say looking at the attached that the outer 45 uF cap is for the low bass driver. Am I right?
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2012
    I would suggest looking at your actual crossover and replacing as needed w/ values that are being used currently.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
    For those in the know - please just tell me if you know which 45 uF caps for high and low woofer. The 43's and 47's I ordered are well within 10% of 45 and I'd prefer not to spend $20+ on shipping to replace. I'll hedge and put higher values in line with the low freq woofer.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2012
    I can't tell from the schematic. You'll have to trace the blue and black leads to figure out which one is driver 1 and driver 2. That said, you are darn close to 5% tolerance and for that circuit I think that's close enough.

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Now that I think of it the driver I changed out was in the high midrange position - had foam behind it - and had black wire. So Driver 1 would be high mid if that's the case. Goes to show I can't read schematics :rolleyes:
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    So which cap is for Driver 1? C3 or C4? And how about C2? Which driver does it impact?
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Started taking one of the M11's apart tonight. The one that had blown tweeter fuse and blown midrange. Boy whoever blew these sure did a number on this one. One of the 4.5 ohm sand resistors burnt up pretty good. Left lots of char underneath and fried nearby zip tie holding coil in place. The burnt one read 5.1 ohms. The othe 4.6.

IMGP0807.jpg
    IMGP0814.jpg
    IMGP0815.jpg
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Here are a couple of pictures of work in progress on first crossover. Have new Mills resistors, small Clarity Cap, and first 47 uF cap. Second picture show how I added second large cap. Since I ordered 43 uF's adding some 4.7 uF Solens I had in stock. Putting that combo on the low pass midrange.

IMGP0819.jpg

IMGP0821.jpg
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Finished one crossover. Have to reconnect wires to terminal. I think I'll replace those plast one ways with something stronger since crossover is now a lot heavier.

I know most here don't fancy bypassing caps but I decided to use a high quality PIO 0.1 to bring the Axon 4.7 a little closer to 4.9 target. I strapped and hot glued caps to keep them from rattling around.

IMGP0826.jpg
    IMGP0824.jpg
    IMGP0823.jpg
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Finished one crossover. Have to reconnect wires to terminal. I think I'll replace those plast one ways with something stronger since crossover is now a lot heavier.

I know most here don't fancy bypassing caps but I decided to use a high quality PIO 0.1 to bring the Axon 4.7 a little closer to 4.9 target. I strapped and hot glued caps to keep them from rattling around.

IMGP0826.jpg
    IMGP0824.jpg
    IMGP0823.jpg
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited April 2012
    Is the little green capacitor a Russian K75-10?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
  • F1nut
    edited April 2012
    Since I ordered 43 uF's adding some 4.7 uF Solens I had in stock.

You're doing what?
    I decided to use a high quality PIO 0.1 to bring the Axon 4.7 a little closer to 4.9 target.

Read this....
    Bypass capacitors. In addition to the Multicap RTX, I have tried either .1 ?F or .01 ?F bypasses from Sonicap (Gen I and the Teflon? Platinum cap), Hovland, AudioCap, and Wima. In every case the results were similar. Let me digress for a minute or so (depending on how fast you read) and talk about crossovers.

In the simple first order high-pass crossovers we are using for this capacitor comparison, the value of the single capacitor, together with the impedance of the loudspeaker driver, determines the crossover frequency. An 8 ?F capacitor with the 4 ohm impedance of the Magnepan quasi-ribbon tweeter gives a crossover frequency of about 5000 Hz (1/2πRC). A smaller value capacitor (for example, 4 ?F instead of 8 ?F) will raise the crossover frequency. If we used only the very small value .1 ?F capacitor without the 8 ?F, we would hear nothing because the crossover frequency is now almost 400,000 Hz. Even a dog would not hear it!

So why use a bypass at all? There are actually components of very high frequencies in some audio waveforms. Some are high order harmonics. If you think of a square wave, the right angles at the top of the wave are extremely high in frequency. Sometimes there are high frequency components in very fast audio sounds, for example, the instantaneous tap of a drum stick on a cymbal. These are the sounds that should be "helped" by including a small-value bypass capacitor in a high pass crossover.

Well, I don't think so. If the 8 ?F capacitor blocks frequencies below 5000 Hz and passes frequencies above 5000 Hz, why do we need what is actually another crossover for the same tweeter, but operating at frequencies already passed by the big cap? I am sure engineers have a very good reason, and a couple of them have tried to educate me on this subject. I respect the science and electrical theory on this subject, and my technical background helps me to understand it fairly well. But there is one small problem: the bypasses all sound bad! They add a quality that at first sounds like an increase in air and detail, but after a couple of hours becomes an intrusive harshness and discontinuity in the upper treble. Remove the bypass: all of the detail is present but without that grating and annoying sound. The high frequencies are cleaner, smoother, and much more enjoyable. It doesn't matter if the bypass cap is Teflon?, polystyrene, or common polypropylene, the results are very similar. And to be avoided.

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
  • Shacky
    edited April 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    You're doing what?

Read this....

Yep I know I'm going to take some heat here for this. Bt I've had very good success with Russian PIO's as "bypass" caps in past and want to try it. If it is not successful I can easily cut it out.

I added the Solens 4.7 to the 43 Axon to make it closer to the 47's I orderd. When ordering these after brief look at layout I thought those two 45 caps were used together hence my orderin 2 x 47 and 2 x 43. But I now know I was wrong.

I put the 43 Axon + 4.7 Solens on the low pass woofer and the straight 47 on the high pass mid/woofer.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2012
    The problem with that is the 4.7uF is going to act as a bypass cap. Honestly, you'd be better off starting over.

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
    Don't caps in parallel work together with combined compacitance? :confused:
  • F1nut
    edited April 2012
    They do, but a smaller cap is faster than a larger cap, hence a bypass. If you have to use two or more caps to obtain a desired value it is best to have them as equal as possible.

President of Club Polk

• Shacky
    edited April 2012
    I'll listen to the one speaker and compare to original caps before moving forward.