Are LSi 15's and Upgrade over Wharfedale Pacific Pi40's?? From Downunder.

Options
Colin^
Colin^ Posts: 4
edited October 2003 in Speakers
Hello all,

You think you have a problem listening to Polk speakers, down here in NZ it is just as hard. I heard the above speakers and immediately liked them. I came here to do some research and pick your minds. To actually audition the LSi 15's I would have to throw them on my Visa Card and bring home for a few days, then if not wanted, take back and credit my Visa account. Is it an upgrade or side grade for me. My equiptment is as bellow:

NAD 541i CDP
NAD C370 Amp bridged with NAD C270 Power amp.
Wharefedale Pacific Pi40 Speakers and Kimber connects.

Should I bother to go through all the hassel. Or should I try them out?

Colin

:)
Post edited by Colin^ on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Colin,

Welcome to the forum.

I have no personal experience with the Pi40's, but I have listened to the LSi15's which have their good points. I think you need to do the in home trial, compare them side by side with your speakers and I'm sure you'll decide on one. Let us know what you think if you do drag them home.

BTW, will your Nad drive a 4 ohm load?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Colin^
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Thought I would post an update.

Today I went to a store where I bought my speakers I have at present, with 5 cds to listen to the LS1 15's. It was well worth the trip!! I was told they would drop the speakers off at home for a day or so and, that they expect to have a coffee and listen to the speakers through my CDP and Amps. The best news was they consider me a speacial customer and I will get not only a trade in on my old speakers but a large cut off the retail price...

The speakers sounded great, enough to please not only myself, but my wife as well. I was looking for more transparency in the midrange and highs, and good tight, but extended bass, in my replacement speakers. Come Monday, I will be finally listening to the speakers at home alongside my Wharfedale Pacific Pi 40's.

I shall report back with my audition report Monday night.

Regards to all that have replied, I guess I shall hear for myself come Monday!!!

Colin^:cool:

:D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Colin,
    DON'T drive the LSi15 bridged. In my NAD C270 instruction book, it clearly ststes that you can't bridge speakers under 8 Ohms. When an amp is bridged, the load it sees is cut by half. You shoud try horizontal or vertical bi amping with the two amps instead. The NAD will drive your LSi easily.

Maurice
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Ahh yes,
    the Wharefedale Pacific Pi40,s.Nice,I have a dealer that carries most of there lines.I believe they are good quality speakers for the money.As all speakers,it's personal.I feel the Lsi15's are a better sounding speaker playing all kinds of music.

Looking forward to your review...

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Kiwi,

Make sure that the speakers are being auditioned at the EXACT SAME sound pressure level, or volume. As humans, a psycho-acoustic characteristic we have, is almost ALWAYS liking the louder of the two speakers being auditioned. Having the volume control on your amp at the same setting for both speakers, is NO guarantee that the volume levels are matched.

I have heard many Wharfedale speakers, and thought they always gave a fairly good account of themselves. I cannot say truthfully, that I have heard your model.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Colin^
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Well, I have had three days and two nights of listening to the Polk LSi 15's. I have used all sorts of music to listen to them.
    I am impressed!!!! They have a lot of the attributes in a loudspeaker I am after. I was after a speaker with more air and sparkle, as my NAD gear is the warm side of neutral.

As much as I enjoyed the LSi 15's, I found other than cosmetically, they were not that better sounding than my Wharfedale Pacific Pi 40's. I was offered a pathetic trade in price on my Pi40's and a couple hundred off retail for the Lsi15's.

Will I miss the LSi15's? YES!!!!

I may try sell my Pi40's privately then use them to finance the LSi15's.

:cool:

Colin^ the Kiwi